What do you want Crew.org.nz to be

Certainly puts a different light on things if someone refers to a "group" or "faction" while at the same time being their own group.

Go non-anonymous.

Shining the disinfecting light of identification under certain rocks should clear up the offending fungal growths resident beneath.

Let us switch focus back to ideas on what you would like crew.org.nz to be.

I have put forward a number of ideas to David around the structure and functionality of the site, to which he's been receptive. Areas that need improvement are:

- photo and image management
    - media/YouTube/Vimeo etc integration
    - user reputation/relevancy
    - notifications
    - ux/ui

The latter is probably the hardest, as any redesign needs to incorporate the advertisers who pay for the site, whilst still remaining clean and easy to read/navigate.

The old Friday photo caption contests brought some lightness to the site and an opportunity for everyone with an idea to participate - I realise the traditional supply of prizes has dried up but still...

argh, sorry - I've been going over a brief with an agency!

User Experience / User Interface - i.e. how users interact with the site, and the experience of doing so.

In simpler terms, how easy the site is to use :)

Another aspect that is harder to explain in a neutral/constructive manner:

There is the potential that those [directly/actually] involved in the Fiji race might have been enticed to post their experiences on this site, providing the rest of us with the opportunity to learn from their perspectives. Which I would really have welcomed.

However, if they were to sit down and first read what has already been thrown around on the subject...it is hard to imagine anyone voluntarily participating in this kind of forum on that basis, meaning we need to either be satisfied with a garbled version in the mainstream media or wait for them to pop up at a yacht club evening.

The guy who abandoned his boat off the West Coast a couple of years back sent through an account and I thought he was pretty courageous.

In other words:

- directly soliciting input from those who have something to offer

- signal-to-noise ratio again i.e. probably providing some guaranteed level of decorum for anyone who is willing to step forward in the kind of situations outlined above.

I am also seriously over the sockpuppets.

OC and BTS do you really think eveyone is that dumb to not see your alter egos arguing your point with you when you start to lose your case?

Frankly its pathetic.

I am also seriously over the sockpuppets.

That, to me, is the saddest part of all this. There are some hugely experienced and knowledgeable people on crew.org in addition to the newer people who ask the questions that many are thinking but won't ask, yet this hugely valuable resource of people is being chased off by one or two individuals that have some kind of agenda or who get their kicks from being obstructive or something.

I have questions, but I won't ask them publicly. I ask questions via PMs directly of the people I think can help me because I don't want to expose myself to the bullcrap that gets thrown around by a few individuals. Other people who may have benefitted from that information then miss out on the exchange ... but at least I don't have to put up with thread veer, various asshattery and abuse.

I realise that different people have different views, opinions, ideas, etc ... that's fine. Different people have different styles of expressing their ideas ... I get that. I might not agree with either the ideas or the way they're being expressed, but at least if its relatively civil then we all get to say our piece and move on. With the "contributions" of a small number of people there is little value added or new material put forward, just negativity and name calling.

This is causing some really valuable and knowledgable people (like BooBoo and FnG among others) to post less and less and that is, in my opinion, a serious detriment to the forum as a whole.

wow 3 user accounts, MPD or DID, who knows

just a suggestion having seen users previously band,and wormed there different ways back in. perhaps the rules could be one more chance BUT you must use your actual name.

BTW

fng is from my boat at the time of joining - fun n games - seems still quite fitting, and haven't looked at how to change it

me - gary patten

At its best I have always thought of crew as a bit like a few mates around a bar having a chat about their passion over a few beers. It can be interesting and funny, the conversation can get deep, you can make a bit of a dick of yourself and get a bit bruised on the odd occasion but mostly it being amongst people of mutual interest with the good of the sport at heart. When it all going well alternative views are welcome and encouraged and passion is expected and it can get rowdy but tolerance, listening and consideration are also a requirement to stay at the table and you are always welcome back.

But then the sock puppets and haters arrive and it becomes tiresome and they get too much time on these forums which is why I stay away for months and mostly only check in when there is something interesting going on or a major event, lately I been interested in the discussion around the A2B and Fiji, both threads were pretty much destroyed by the haters, I was very pissed when the ogre at one point was encouraging OC posts before the off topic new thread was started but by then the thread was wrecked and the the damage was done and most people with something interesting to say had long flown the coop, a few tried to get the thread back on track but most people were over it by then.

These guys only crash these threads because they get an instant audience and are allowed to prosper off topic and bash their own tired and discredited agendas, they should be required to start their own threads and then they will be left at the corner of the bar steering into their beer or naval, alone.

Crew is uniquely Kiwi as compared to SA and the differences can best be summed up in the names i.e. Crew v Anarchy, I use the name I am most commonly known by on Crew and I use a post name on SA although my profile clearly identifies me there too, but it seems more in keeping with how SA operates to not use your own name and given the size and diversity of the audience over there it probably doesn't matters for us little people anyway.

I too hold back on Crew because of the space given to the haters and not being part of the crew regulars on the site although in the last year or so there has been more tolerance of differing views and there has been some interesting threads. As with SA there are also some very competent people on Crew and there is almost nothing you can't learn about from the expertise that sits on here.

For me anyway, I would like to see the deliberate thread wreckers bounced from a topic the moment they start spewing their garbage or their tired old views and at the very least put into their own threads, While SA has the same problems from time to time, it pretty much self regulates as it can be a brutal place if you go off topic or post nonsense, the tolerance levels for dickheads is much lower and the allowance for retribution is much higher.

ok so a ban button won't work u say

how about when we hit this foe button we can't read their posts - non of them

it would then be up to the individual and if i'm to precious i'll only be able to read my posts.

started to read some forums tonight, gave up on several then

thought i might post an answer on one which i think could be helpful but don't want to read the crap some may respond with. and i'm not talking about the sh*t i get from KM or Wheels.

Met someone up the club last week and i think they do some great posts and correspond well with crew members but they mentioned they are not keen to post here now, MS or Crew ask and i'll say who if need be of which you will be disappointed

also, why do we have rules if they are not enforced, simple caught with multiple sign-ons, cancelled and you sort it out behind the scene.

I think the site has been great for along time. Some posts frustrate me and sometimes I state my opinion. This is no different to how I am in person, so no hiding behind a computer like some may.

Some of the things that go on here are like osmosis or rot, and If you don't catch It early, it gets harder to get rid of down the track.

I find this a good site, if I think I can help, I do, sometimes I am corrected, and I mostly learn something, I don't respond to the the troll/s as all that does is give them oxygen.

except for knotme and wheels who occasionally have good stuff to say :roll: :roll: Most times I log on there are gems of wisdom making it worth it.

At its best I have always thought of crew as a bit like a few mates around a bar having a chat about their passion over a few beers. It can be interesting and funny, the conversation can get deep, you can make a bit of a dick of yourself and get a bit bruised on the odd occasion but mostly it being amongst people of mutual interest with the good of the sport at heart. When it all going well alternative views are welcome and encouraged and passion is expected and it can get rowdy but tolerance, listening and consideration are also a requirement to stay at the table and you are always welcome back.

But then the sock puppets and haters arrive and it becomes tiresome and they get too much time on these forums which is why I stay away for months and mostly only check in when there is something interesting going on or a major event, lately I been interested in the discussion around the A2B and Fiji, both threads were pretty much destroyed by the haters, I was very pissed when the ogre at one point was encouraging OC posts before the off topic new thread was started but by then the thread was wrecked and the the damage was done and most people with something interesting to say had long flown the coop, a few tried to get the thread back on track but most people were over it by then.

These guys only crash these threads because they get an instant audience and are allowed to prosper off topic and bash their own tired and discredited agendas, they should be required to start their own threads and then they will be left at the corner of the bar steering into their beer or naval, alone.

Crew is uniquely Kiwi as compared to SA and the differences can best be summed up in the names i.e. Crew v Anarchy, I use the name I am most commonly known by on Crew and I use a post name on SA although my profile clearly identifies me there too, but it seems more in keeping with how SA operates to not use your own name and given the size and diversity of the audience over there it probably doesn't matters for us little people anyway.

I too hold back on Crew because of the space given to the haters and not being part of the crew regulars on the site although in the last year or so there has been more tolerance of differing views and there has been some interesting threads. As with SA there are also some very competent people on Crew and there is almost nothing you can't learn about from the expertise that sits on here.

For me anyway, I would like to see the deliberate thread wreckers bounced from a topic the moment they start spewing their garbage or their tired old views and at the very least put into their own threads, While SA has the same problems from time to time, it pretty much self regulates as it can be a brutal place if you go off topic or post nonsense, the tolerance levels for dickheads is much lower and the allowance for retribution is much higher.

Good post Marshy! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am particularly sad about the way crew has degenerated, and the way that smart posters with interesting opinions have almost or completely stopped posting. When I came onto crew, I had very little experience of the keel boat racing scene in Auckland or the various industries around sailing in Auckland being mainly from a Dinghy racing background. Through Crew I have met and raced with some top blokes, and also had a lot of work done to my boat by excellent tradesmen/companies who have been extremely helpful, well priced and pleasant people. You all know who you are.

Right from the time I started looking for a boat, this forum gave me the encouragement to continue and probably go beyond what my sailing talent should have really bought.. But it has been a great ride and I have learnt a lot, and will continue learning no doubt! I just hope the site bounces back and the people with something valid to say keep posting.

I dont know where I fit into all this.

I am sure that my postings in the global warming thing may annoy some people, but thats just me.

My posting about the great paint debate just about shut it down for me, not becuase I cant handle debate or people who : know better" but because it was just my simple opinion on what has worked for me. I was stunned at the crap that then got spat back.

Now this might sound very old fashion, but I like manners in a debate.

Like being in a pub and some person is yelling down your throat "stating" that the only way is his way and you are a complete dick unless you imediately agree.

I like crew because that mostly dosnt happen. Having had a bit to do with internet sites, you cant moderate that.......It can only come from people who use the site saying "woah man, just slow down a bit"....

Just like in a pub. Other wise most people just leave.

On a positive side.....

Has crew thought about setting up permanent yacht tracking ?

Both for cruisers and racers.

Position reports and notes on , say a google overlay or similar.

There is a couple of local examples out there, and if running you may get a few participants to jump ship.

being a kiwi overseas I use the site to keep up to date with sailing at home, especially like the race reports that come in during the coastal etc.

I'm not into banning people but there is a troll issue on this site, yo can't even just ignore the posts because the threads get sucked into it. I'll admit that I use the site less now because of it. I think if there are clear cases of trolling and breaking site rules using multiple ids etc, then those people should be blocked. I'd like to see a greater variety of posters, rather than just the same 5-10 people all the time - I'm not criticizing them - often they are vital in keeping good threads going, but if they are going to post that much, I'd like to see them taking responsibility for they post, try to engage the lesser but sometimes more interesting posters, rather than use it as a personal message board and get upset when someone interrupts it!

I wouldn't want to ban anonymous id's (like mine) just because I don't feel too comfortable about my personal details being in too many open access on the web, I'd be happier with id verify system for the admins. It would be good to know if someone has expertise it what they are talking about - a law site I visit has verified 'topic experts' for different subject areas, verified by the admin. The forum users get to know who to trust and the experts get some free advertising by putting their business details in their signature blocks.

Apart from that it'd be good to have more input/posts/articles from the boating industry itself. The blogs from pro/am builders tend to be the posts I really like to follow.

nice post. :thumbup:

Archived