cleaning water tanks?

SS will cope with some very agressive detergents, dairy companies use caustic and Hydrocloric as well ( NOT at the same time ) lots of fresh water flushing until the water runs clear folllowed up with a 4 or 5 to one caustic swill (hot water will improve the effect) followed by several flushes with fresh water, Remember rubber gloves and eye protection when using caustic.

SS will cope with some very agressive detergents, dairy companies use caustic and Hydrocloric as well ( NOT at the same time ) lots of fresh water flushing until the water runs clear folllowed up with a 4 or 5 to one caustic swill (hot water will improve the effect) followed by several flushes with fresh water, Remember rubber gloves and eye protection when using caustic.

Caustic removes the fatty residue from the milk, chlorine removes proteins, and the acidic solution ( more often a combination of several acids, and not often HCl in my experience ) is there as a mineral deposit remover and also to drop the pH to bugger all to make it a very inhospitable place for bugs to live. Added to the acid mixture are surfactants etc.

Not sure how well this mixture would clean the inside of a water tank, but I suspect that the chlorine and caustic solution would do pretty well if left to soak a wee while.

We use 10g caustic soda and 10mls Sodium Hypochlorite per 10l of water in cowsheds. Go with a mix of 1% of each and you will have a fairly aggressive cleaning solution for organic compounds.

Alternate option could be the tank cleaning mix from a chandlery. 

Guest Ketchup

I very rarely clean my water tanks because i filter the water in (25 and 1micron) and filter out (1 micron and UV) and get 99.8% purity.

Once a year (least used period)I put 1% chlorine in.

Tanks tested 5 years and perfect.