Clandestine Forestay Attachments

The pulpit on my 830 has a tube welded into the back of the center foot designed for the Forestay to run through it to some adjustable type setup in the anchor locker. The stem has no provision for a Forestay attachment point of any kind either internally or externally. The shape of it doesn't lend itself to a traditional through bolted external tab either.

How would you go about fabricating a sufficiently strong anchor point for a Forestay without having anything protrude out the front of the stem?

I'm going to be putting a hole through from one side to the other lower down for a bobstay (like a pigs nose ring) I was wondering if that could be incorporated if needed.

Please see the hi tech computer aided drawing my 5 year old did for details.

Black is deck/stem /anchor locker. Green is pulpit, blue is tube and red is Forestay.

Forestay conundrum.png

Found this on the interweb, Elliott 770. Can't see it but assume the wire runs through a turning block up front and the purchase is anchored to the anchor locker bulkhead. This could work as I have already beefed the bulkhead up considerably to carry the Prod bearing.

Elliott 770 Adjustable forestay.jpg

Do you want it to be adjustable?

I looked at this for my old sportboat and found that it would be hard to find blocks strong enough to take the loads if it were block and tackle. With that arrangement above, the ronstan wire block only has a working load of 850kg. 

Then you start thinking hydraulic but that is too heavy for the very front of the boat and too complicated.

A lot of the sportboats have adjustable mast bases which works well to play with tension and keep the weight centralised. The plans for High-n-Fibre showed a really basic setup with a normal hydraulic jack that you used to tension the system and then pin the mastbase in place.

In the end we just used an easily adjustable forestay turnbuckle. It worked, was strong and lite.

I like the photo option over the drawing one. Just make sure all the gear used is good shite and why the hell knot I reckon.

Me too KM. I'm not entirely convinced I should be left in charge of an adjustable forestay, but in the meantime I was thinking an attachment on my beefy bulkhead with a turnbuckle on it, attached to a wire strop that passes through the pulpit tube and then shackles onto the forestay would be just fine. How do you recommend I make it turn the 90+ degrees it would need to at the front?

Do you want it to be adjustable?

I looked at this for my old sportboat and found that it would be hard to find blocks strong enough to take the loads if it were block and tackle. With that arrangement above, the ronstan wire block only has a working load of 850kg. 

Then you start thinking hydraulic but that is too heavy for the very front of the boat and too complicated.

A lot of the sportboats have adjustable mast bases which works well to play with tension and keep the weight centralised. The plans for High-n-Fibre showed a really basic setup with a normal hydraulic jack that you used to tension the system and then pin the mastbase in place.

In the end we just used an easily adjustable forestay turnbuckle. It worked, was strong and lite.

Mast is deck stepped. I'm not really looking for adjustability - just a method of terminating the forestay that won't rip out or have me ruining my paintjob

adjustable is pretty standard on r780's. Its good to let the rig tension off when she is at rest ( which is most of the time). 

Also the adjust the mast rake upwind and down wind. 

I run a fixed forestay on RR but adjust the rake slightly for light and heavy weather.