On the water Boat Show , Auckland

Dunno about $18.00 for us it was $20.00, the usual number of staff on quite a few of the stands all too busy talking to each other, you had to break into their conversation to get any attention, often to find they couldn't answer your questions once you got their attention.

Rang a reasonably large outfit to price a gearbox, was told the guy who knew was at the boat show, when at the show I asked said person, nah, didn't know, and this was a very common brand and sized box?? Not impressed, but then again I wasn't the last time I went either. As an out of towner finding parking was diabolical. Maybe I'll try again in another 3 years.

Well I did go along with a friend. I was shocked that only ONE salesperson engaged with us and showed us on board their range of yachts. She was selling Bavarias , but NO one at Hanse , Beneteau , Dufour etc even talked to us, even though we spent a lot of time looking at these yachts eyeing them up and chatting about them to ourselves. I certainly agree with the comment about the Sales staff too busy with their colleagues to engage with public. We are two 50 yo , males , about to buy a 40' yacht , cash buyers (no boat to sell). We are looking at 2nd hand yachts , but the new ones appeal too ! The $18 was the online ticket price. Way way too many stink boats , but at least there were a good selection of Yachts. Glad we spent time with the Busfield sales person , she was very helpful. Thanks

Went today, intending to buy a new set of wet weather gear. 2 Years ago we were spoilt for choice when Mrs Sundreamer bought a set. 

Nup nada, nothing. Not a single option. Still a nice afternoon out with friends

Lot of nice import boats on the water as you'd expect.

We went on Friday, had a good look at the Beneteaus. Staff were helpful and friendly even though the 46 and 51 were not in our league - great space and features, I thought. The Oceanis 38 was amazing for its use of space, the pull out partitions were a good feature and the all round little touchs were great. Elan boats were great, the 37 at $217,000 was really good value. The Jeanneau and Sunfast area was good, the entry staff were friendly and the 36 was still in amazing condition despite it's recent use. No scent at all of rum on board, or battle wounds.

We don't drink much rum and have been very gentle on the boat Ballystick.... ;)

I was down there on the Sun Fast Thursday and Friday but with the wife away coaching the youth girls in Aussie, It's daddy daycare with the 3 kids. Took them though the show yesterday. Other than seeing a huge range of pretty cool boats it was not that interesting.

Certainly been mint weather for it!

I go to them about every 2-3 years as they seem to be getting more and more bland with little change.

Much like the entire Marine Industry. But OK, I will accept that my mood is due to the seriously depressed state down here in Marlborough now. I was really shocked at the downward change in just the 3 short years I had been away. Things are not good here.

About 7yrs ago, I looked at a Charter operation here. At that time, he was asking $600K for the entire business including the Boat. The Boat was worth that on it's own, so the Business was a good buy. Today, it is still not sold and the guy is now asking $115K for the Boat. The Charter business is pretty much gone, due to the Cod fishing issues here.

There is no one cause of the overall situation here. Lots of things adding up. Although the stupid rediculous charges for a Marina Berth here was pretty much the large lid of the Coffin you could say.

no No!... don,t be so negative everybody yachting is growing and in fine spirit and hands.

Suppliers, retailers, charter businesse, etc... should be rubbing their hands with glee!

Just go to the YNZ forum and read the YNZ reply in the Takapuna thread.

We can "stay calm and carry on" we have a few "English gurus" who have a plan!...

Its all explained in YNZ's post.. ....you'll Love it!

Takapuna Beach, YNZ's "master plan" will save us all.

TUI ;-)

• Downvote 1

Oh... and was'nt the YNZ stand, at NZ's premier boating "shop window" outstanding!.

I like the Beneteau oceanis 38. That is a nice cruiser with a great setup and many good features.

The Jeanneau's are nice kit too. and good value for $$$

Went there yesterday with a shopping list for the 830 refit. Got a great deal on a GME multimedia sound system and VHF. Very helpful guys on their corporate stand.

Wanted a full set of coastal wet weather gear, and decent life jackets for the kids.... didn't find either  :wtf:

Also took roughly 45 mins of slow, deliberate driving around the lower part of the city to find a park thanks in no small part to all the roadworks.

The weather was mint however!

We don't drink much rum and have been very gentle on the boat Ballystick.... ;)

I was down there on the Sun Fast Thursday and Friday but with the wife away coaching the youth girls in Aussie, It's daddy daycare with the 3 kids. Took them though the show yesterday. Other than seeing a huge range of pretty cool boats it was not that interesting.

Certainly been mint weather for it!

Yes the SF3600 was immaculate and showed almost no signs of being sullied... unless you happened to read the keyboard labels ... priceless  ;-)

we went on sat. on the list was looking at what deals the sail makers had on and a sup for cruising this year.

good range of sup's and great to compare the different manufacturers and prices. 

That was really good and I've pretty much chosen what we're after.

Norths and evolution absent, only doyles were there and didn't notice any deals so I didn't bother.

Apart from that, a pretty reasonable amount of yachts, even some racier ones which was a change. 

Glad I sourced some comps as I wouldn't have paid $ 18 for it.