My pet hate

Guest 000

Guest Ketchup

IT, I am confused.

Why are you against people flying a pirates flag if, as you suggested, they do not represent modern (oe even recent) day pirates and pirate do not use them.

Surely the pirates flag is now a flag of fun more than a flag of piracy.

Anyway dont get in a FLAP, the POSTs reveal we are POLEs apart and we should FLAG this Thread.

Has anyone noticed the skull and cross-bones is currently being used on a "pirate Ship" in an attempt to pursuade you to buy a Lotto powerball ticket!

And of course we now can have the Nigger debate as well, with Linz planning to change the names of various geographical features using the term Nigger as part of the features name. because someone found the term offensive, I doubt that the complainant was made by a Negro?

Possibly a pom, or maybe a yank or a frosch, or an Ittie, or maybe even a pakeha. Plus you and I won't be allowed to run aground on a "Niggerhead" anymore.

My son works with West Indians in London, apparently they often call each other Nigger, or some derivative of the term in their normal everyday speech.

Has anyone noticed the skull and cross-bones is currently being used on a "pirate Ship" in an attempt to pursuade you to buy a Lotto powerball ticket!

And of course we now can have the Nigger debate as well, with Linz planning to change the names of various geographical features using the term Nigger as part of the features name. because someone found the term offensive, I doubt that the complainant was made by a Negro?

Possibly a pom, or maybe a yank or a frosch, or an Ittie, or maybe even a pakeha. Plus you and I won't be allowed to run aground on a "Niggerhead" anymore.

My son works with West Indians in London, apparently they often call each other Nigger, or some derivative of the term in their normal everyday speech.

Steve with an attitude like that I reckon you're at least in your 60ś, it is offensive and you don´t have to be the subject of an offensive term for it to be found offensive. I don´t think you´ll find many C#nt beaches around the place either. I first thought you were being satirical then I realised you are just a bit ignorant and probably a product of the 40´s.

Right, pencils.

I imagine we have the same issues with the currently available carpenters pencils. The leads are too brittle so they tend to fracture making it equally difficult to sharpen and maintain a useable point. There seems to be hardly any graphite in the lead so the pencil lines are difficult to see unless you use a lot of pressure which then marks delicate timbers and tends to break the points, and finally I have even had instances of the glue joint failing and the whole pencil falling to bits in my hand.

Piece of crap, really.

This will not help you KM, but I bought a mechanical carpenters pencil in Germany. Fantastic! Quality interchangeable leads of different density to suit different materials, a tungsten point in the back end for scribing and the pencil mounts in a (supplied) compass for circles.

What may help you is to go on line with 'mechanical carpenters pencils nz'. There is a similar item called a Striker carpenters pencil available from some outlet in Rotorua. Don't know what it's like but could be good for you.

Guest Ketchup

During the height of the space race in the 1960s, legend has it, NASA scientists realized that pens could not function in space. They needed to figure out another way for the astronauts to write things down. So they spent years and millions of taxpayer dollars to develop a pen that could put ink to paper without gravity. But their crafty Soviet counterparts, so the story goes, simply handed their cosmonauts pencils.

An urban myth. Or at least the part about NASA spending billions and the Russians using a pencil part. Both Nations used pencils. But the pieces of carbon that broke off was dangerous floating around in zeroG. Then after the Apollo 1 fire, NASA was not happy having wood in a high oxygen environment. But they never sought a Pen.
A Pen making company "Fisher" decided to take on the task and make one, because Fisher figured what better advertising. So he developed the "Space Pen". It didn't cost that much to develop and he never charged NASA for development. He simply sold them Pens. The "Space Pen" is still produced today.

Ah yes, the wonderful KISS principle - I try to live by that one.

The other side of that story, and I have no idea whether true or not, is that the Americans rejected pencils because of a percieved threat to the safety of the spacecraft. Apparently in the early days a lot of the switch gear was mechanical, pencils need sharpening, and they thought it risky to have particles of electrically conductive graphite floating about.

As I say,no idea if true.

Guest Ketchup

Builders pencils.

The used to be so good but now that have been 'new and improved' they are less use to mark things with than a firm turd.

I don't fecking want 1000 of them for $1.49, I'll happily pay $5 each if I could find some that aren't worse than sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any chippies out there got any leads on where to score good ones from?

Back in the day Builders pencils were softer and blacker than these new ones.

Todays seem to be More towards H on the scale and less "B". My understanding is... they add a clay/wax to the graphite to make it softer and less prone to breaking / Easier sharpening.

i prefer a 4B (soft black,) but these new ones are morelike a 9H (hard black)

• Upvote 1

Hey all, thanks for the laugh today, I needed it .... the entire thread has been amusing

I am still trying to work out the link between carpenter's pencils (which are crap here in aust too .... cheap chinky rubbish) and pirates, be they pirates in the Caribe or pirates in Penzance.

But the stupid things that offend, add the Confederate flag to that lot, be it "morons with guns" or bikies, people forgot it's roots was as a Nation's Flag. 

Seems that someone had their feathers ruffled with the N word .... and maybe people do need to lighten up, my "better half's" family call her Negrita as a term of endearment .... and those of you up with your spanish, yes it does mean little black girl, and she sure ain't dark, just a tad darker skinned than her sisters. .... so where does the offence come from ??????????? 

Now back to the routine stuff here so can swing off and head home at weeks end, .... maybe