Pole length?

In some conditions when I am going downwind, I pole the Headsail out one side and the Main out the other. I made my own pole to do this, but have always wondered if there is a ratio of Pole to Headsail to obtain the correct length. I assume there will be some kind of sum gained from the measurements of length of foot of Sail and distance back from clue to mast. Anyone know how to work that out?

about 110 - 120% of the length of J (distance from base of forestay to mast), may be a bit less if it's a non overlapping headsail.

The pole on Fineline was longer than J, I guess out about 110%.

To pole out the non overlapping headsail coming back from Coastal, we used the leeward stanchion base and a sail tie as the inboard end. It seemed to work.

That numbers posts? I figure, by the comment that you "ignore him", you are referring to the fellow that I think needs a tad more time at the centre for rehabilitation, but I don't get the "numbers posts" part.

Anyway,
I arrived at current pole length as a simple factor of achieving some sail shape and ease of getting the parrot beak clipped into the clue. Too long and it's a real fight. But obviously one wants to get as much sail out to the wind as possible as well.
I pull the Main around one side and use a preventer to hold the boom. I angle the main back just slightly to allow the air to spill off the main and into the headsail. So I don't or at least haven't ever gone for stretching the sail out flat and wide as possible. Maybe thinking I am gaining anything by spilling the wind into the Headsail is false thinking. So hence the question, that maybe some far more clever Seasalt arrived at the best ratio and no point in reinventing the wheel.

The pole on Fineline was longer than J, I guess out about 110%.

To pole out the non overlapping headsail coming back from Coastal, we used the leeward stanchion base and a sail tie as the inboard end. It seemed to work.

Good thing you only tried this coming back from the race - attaching the pole to the stanchion base is not allowed under the racing rules.

Good thing you only tried this coming back from the race - attaching the pole to the stanchion base is not allowed under the racing rules.

When racing the big coloured sail was more effective

When returning after the race things needed to be simple due to the quantity of hangovers onboard