Kids lifejackets

Kids PFD's MUST have crotch strap was my understanding.

If you're near Kohimarama you're welcome to borrow from a few a have.

kevinmccready@vodafone.co.nz
32 Hawera Rd    -36.857270, 174.839280
Kohimarama 1071
Auckland, New Zealand
+64 (0)9 528 1174 home
+64 (0)226 710 335 cell
http://kmccready.wordpress.com
@kmccready

Please excuse the slight hijack, but how have any of you dealt this really small tots, ie 2 month old through to about 1yo?

We're looking to head away this summer with a 2-3 month old (

If any of you have taken really small ones away I'd be grateful for any tips.

Please excuse the slight hijack, but how have any of you dealt this really small tots, ie 2 month old through to about 1yo?

Thinking out loud, is there a self-righting capsule?

Philstar - you've got this one - I've heard the story from you and your wife now :-)

Damo..there have been sooooo many stories about cruising/racing with my lovely hubby over a rum or two.  Can you refresh our memory to which story it was :)

A small one in a fish crate...

We have brought up 3 kids on the boat from when they were babies. We just had a baby lifejacket, it was painfull at first with the kids not liking it at all but they got used to it. We only used it in the dinghy, didnt really need it on the boat as we had a very secure cockpit with leecloths and netting around the rails. Its one of those things, get them into the habit early and it all comes naturally, if you dont do it early then it becomes a chore to get them to wear them further down the track.

• Upvote 1

You can get pretty good lifejackets for babies, our one completely came apart on the side so was really easy to put on without needing to put their head through a hole. 

Here is a bad photo of us in the dinghy with a 4 month old in his life jacket.

1924283_53460356881_4541_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

No problem, glad to help.

You can see the clip on the collar which makes it really easy to put on and off.

Here is a couple of our cruising videos which might give you a few ideas. The boys are all a bit older in these, 1, 3 and 5 in the first video and 2, 4 and 6 in the Pork chop one but it still gives a good picture of boat life with kids.

We are pretty relaxed with our kids on the boat, just like my parents were with us (5 boys living on a boat and doing some big miles). If you let them find their own boundaries then they tend to actually be quite safety conscious and smart. If you baby them too much they tend to do dumb sh*t....

• Upvote 1

Haha, cheers F, thats classic and great vids B.

My wrap-em-in-cotton-wool in-laws are having a fit at the thought of their son-in-law (me) heading away with their 1 month old grand daughter.

I'll show them that picture and tell them everyone does it.

Yep, we did it too - Older Daughter did her first Cook Strait crossing at 6 weeks... Probably some pics somewhere, let me know if you'd like me to dig them up.

Young Kids sleep really well in the boat, something about the movement I guess, but ours slept more than they did at home :-)