Charter Destinations

Hey all,

Looking to get some opinions on good, value for money charter destinations...

We are a young couple, relatively experienced (mostly dinghy and trailer sailer stuff but I've done some coastal and a passage from NZ to tonga) and looking for a good sailing holiday for next year. We've currently got a 22' TS, will be upsizing to an ocean worthy boat some time with a view to do some trips to the islands and beyond, but that might be few years away yet. So thinking a charter holiday might be good to do in the mean time.

Any suggestions/recommendations? We'd prefer quiet/secluded rather than busy/sociable in general. Tonga (Vava'u) looks pretty good ..... Or even staying closer to home and do something around BOI (we've never sailed up there)....

Whitsundays in Queensland is pretty nice, spent a great week there on a Seawind 1000. As IT said, Tonga is pretty damn nice too!

Hard to go wrong really, warm clear water, trade winds, friendly locals. If you pick Aus just don't talk about the rugby!

Cheers guys. Island Time, we're in Christchurch -- anywhere outside the South Island will be new to us. A winter trip would probably suit us best though, since we've got a few trips planned for closer to home for the Summer....

Tonga definitely appeals -- been there briefly but just as far as Tongatapu. Thoughts on Tonga vs. Fiji? My partner has relatives in Fiji, but but looks more expensive and more crowded...?

Raiatea looks very appealing too......

I don't think that you can charter in Fiji without a skipper (too much coral)

There used to be some trailer sailors out of Musket Cove, not sure if they are still available.

If you are going with a skipper try Take a Break (Grainger 46) with Dave and Judy out of Musket Cove.

But then I used to own a sister ship so I'm biased.

Yeah, that's a good point regarding just dragging the the 22 around NZ -- and we do a lot of that, but so far only within the south island. Big mission to tow it from CHCH to BOI..... Ferry + fuel (3.0l subaru drinks it towing!) would add up too.

Summer is pretty full already (Lake Te Anau (Jan) and Marlborough sounds (Feb)) so a winter destination would be good -- assuming BOI would be less than ideal in winter...?

Other option is to stay home for the winter and add the money saved to the fund for a bigger boat -- so cold down here though! ;-)

Hi, I've chartered Catamarans twice in Vav'au and have been to Tonga 4 times in total.  The time of the season you book can make a big difference to the cost and also crowding at the various anchorages.  I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, I also live in CHCH so if you want to meet to discuss your plans PM me and we can arrange to catch up.