Upgrading boat. Opinions wanted

Hey all

We have decided to upgrade our boat. We have been sailing a Challenger 29 (will be up for sale soon) and are looking to move to something a bit faster/ more technical while not compromising on a basic level of cruising comfort. We race mainly in TGA harbor and a bit of coastal stuff.

Basically we want a boat that is:

Faster, especially into the wind.

In good order

Has a solid sail wardrobe and all the go fast bits to suit (eg prod, full hoist spinnaker halyards, code 0 furler etc)

Around the same size to fit into berth

Can sleep 5 people, even if a bit crammed.

It would be nice if it was setup for single/shorthanded sailing

Also would prefer outboard engine for simplicity and weight

We are happy to pay good money for the right boat

We have been looking at some semi modified ross 930s that seem to fit the bill, but I would love to know if there are any other boats we should have a look at.

Cheers!

No bias or self interest but have you looked at Prawn Broker - Jim Young Rocket, seems to tick all your boxes. Also High Spirits at about half the price. Both optimized to full, good cruising and both have relatively new rigs and sails. Prods, square tops, t keels, gennakers and kites and both outboard powered. 

I own Meister which is a challenge 29, we have recently modified it and has become very competitive, we just recently won the ssanz triple series sport boat division whith 1 line honours amd 2 thirds. If you are interested in modifying your current boat check out my facebook page for all the work we did https://m.facebook.com/Meister963/?ref=bookmarks. Has alot more room for cruising than ross 930's with competitive performance also has lift keel which is perfect for shallow draft moorings. Just an idea

There is a very cheap Elliot ( sister ship to Grunty Chicken ) sitting on the hard in Kerikeri. Only ever used for one season and taken out of the water for family reasons. Sails are as new ( gennaker never been out of the bag ) new engine etc.etc. but the red paint needs attention or a wrap.

Has interior but squabs never been covered. There is a bit of tidy up work to do but will be priced rite, much less than $45000. Worth a look for sure.

It's not my boat but I am a friend of the owner.

Pmd willow and ptown.

Pawn broker has been converted to fixed keel. Extreme is not really cruisable.

Meister mate u have done a great job on ur boat. Tbh we are more interested in racing than modifying so are pretty keen on getting a good to go boat.

Whats grunty chicken go like?

There is a very cheap Elliot ( sister ship to Grunty Chicken ) sitting on the hard in Kerikeri. Only ever used for one season and taken out of the water for family reasons. Sails are as new ( gennaker never been out of the bag ) new engine etc.etc. but the red paint needs attention or a wrap.

Has interior but squabs never been covered. There is a bit of tidy up work to do but will be priced rite, much less than $45000. Worth a look for sure.

It's not my boat but I am a friend of the owner.

HI Beau 770, any idea how to get in touch with the owner?

The entertainer would probably be the pick of the racing 930s she's got a really good keel and good sails. Entertainers interior is pretty basic though. squid has been really well refitted and has new deck gear and god sails but original keel but has a god interior There is another 930 at gulf harbour called shockproof with a really good interior t keel, new mast and god sails. Worth a look

The entertainer would probably be the pick of the racing 930s she's got a really good keel and good sails. Entertainers interior is pretty basic though. squid has been really well refitted and has new deck gear and god sails but original keel but has a god interior There is another 930 at gulf harbour called shockproof with a really good interior t keel, new mast and god sails. Worth a look

So Phil, you're saying she's heavenly?  Or the sails are like the wings of angels?  :roll: