Vindex 350 ltd

He guys I know this is a yachtie forum but I'm looking to buy a vindex 350 and I can't find any information on them at all. Any one had one or has friend that has one and can share any info on them at all?

Also anyone looking for a mint cav36!? I have one for sale and as much as I don't want to sell it, it's just me and my 2.5yr old son so the launch makes things a lot easier.

Thanks!

ooooo, we're discussing the Darkside.I know a little. They were and still are a popular boat. Planning Hull and on average a 12kt speed to be had. A reasonable amount of room for size. Are we talking the older ply construction or more modern GRP? What do you need to know?

Very popular Boat. Jim Young was the designer of course. I guess I could safely say that Jim Young was the Father of the planning Hull Launch with his creation of the Vindex. The very early design was out on it's own at the time. It was noted for it's smooth flat wake.
There were several builders, but Noblecraft the most notable.
Interiors can be getting a little dreary now, due to the older popular use of the darker varnished timber, but a few were found in a lighter timber which lightens the inside up and makes the interior feel a little bigger.
19kts, it is likely fitted with a 250Hp engine then. They are also are found with Twin engine installs. These Hulls are capable of 30+kts with a twin engine install and I have come across a twin 240Hp install, which goes to show just how strong they are for the weight. Even the Ply version could handle 16 to 18kts with a 250 and 12-14kts with a 180Hp. Propulsion designs were found in both stern legs or through Hull shafts, which meant different engine positions and thus offered very different internal designs.
  Asking prices have dropped considerably over the last 10yrs, but that is true of all Boats. $100K is common for Dealers to ask and of course you never offer the asking price. These Boats are likely able to be had much cheaper if you can find a private sale. That is probably about all I know, which may not be a lot more than you do already.

The Vindex 350 was built by Noblecraft/Ian Waters between ~1984 and 1990. They were a GRP versión (foam sándwich construction) of Jim's Vindex 34, which were built in timber (some Cedar Core. other's diagonal) from about 1980 owards by Ewen Guy and others.

The standard power train was a single Volvo 40 series stern drive (startting with the 165later 200's) , some were fitted with twin stern drives and there was the occasional shaft drive, mostly Volvos. They were pretty light particularly with a stern drive. There were a copule fitted with BMW stern drives, if these are still around run away!!

The 350 hull design is a development of the previous GRP 32 built by Jim (which was designed around the horizontal Perkins diesel to go under the floor), but the 350 is a little more full in the bow and consequently a very wet boat going into head seas.

The GRP 32 was a larger volume boat than the original wooden 32, with almost 3.5m beam c.f 3.2m for the original design

I had a GRP 32 (in Australia) which was a great boat, not so keen on the 350 because of being so wet.

Oh good stuff sandwich construction thats interesting. It's got X2 volvo 165hp Tamd40 on legs full service history meticulous maintenance of both engines and legs 1800hrs. I like the 375 vindex but they are out of the price range and most don't have the internal steering station I need with my little one.

19 knots it's using 30lts and hr combined which seems pretty reasonable!

Hayden, a launch ???? Never thought I'd see that! But I do understand.

I reckon a Pelin Liberty would be better, especially for Cook Strait, but maybe they are more expensive? Personally I'd avoid the stern legs. Talk to Rob, he knows what the prices are likely to be and a good deal about the designs...

I may have a little more I can add in regards to type of boat. I didn't realise you were Wellywood.
Vindex is light and easy to plane, hence economical. If all you want is a boat to zip across the strait on a nice day and then sit in the nice bays of the sounds, then Vindex is fine. But! they are not what could be called a Blue water boat. If you want something to take on slightly ruffled Strait crossings, then a deeper V is better. Easier to maintain speed in choppy conditions, a little more comfortable in lumpy conditions. But they take a lot more power to push along. IT said, a Pelin Liberty and I agree. Liberty is a better choice especially if you are strait crossing. But they take a lot more power to push along. A liberty would have a 300+Hp on average and achieve 14 to 18kts with that. But they are a lovely boat and similar kind of price range as the Vindex.
There are many types to choose from. There is no one perfect boat. Each has advantages ands disadvantages. But bascialy said, the deeper the V, thew better it can handle ruff water and maintain speed, but it takes more power which equates to more Fuel.

Sow, those are old engines and as mentioned those big anodes, sorry stern legs are a concern, and the fuel figures you have been given are a little optimistic, my database says you will burning 40-45 lph to achieve 19 kts.

Interesting the mention of Libertys, one of Frank's best launches, their hull shape is in fact very similar to the Vindex, entry is a bit finer, but same twisted plane form and pretty flat deadrise, maybe 10 deg at the stern. The Liberty, if built to plan did not need so much power, 200hp would give 15 cruise/19 flatout, but like all planing hulls do not like weight.

Best planing launch under 40' in my view - Corsair 36, they cut thru a chop incredibly smoothly, bit wandery downwind if they have a full keel. The good ones are scarce on the market, people seem to be hanging onto them.

I've been working on a Pelin Liberty this week. Powered by a 250hp Cummins, shaft drive. Cruises at 14 knots, about 30ltrs/hr, max 18 knots, 48 ltrs/hr.

I've not done huge hours on Launches, but the Liberty is one of the sea kindliest that I know of.  I've delivered one Auck to Wellington, and done a few Cook Strait crossings on one. Including in 40Knots.

Like all boats, they will have a wavelength they don't like, and you have to slow down or change your angles, but the liberty to me seems to be able to maintain her speed and handling when most similar size boats  have had to back off....

Oh this is all good info.

It's just me and my little fulla so we will mainly use it to zip around the harbour to orential bay scorching bay etc and once a year we will head to the sounds so outright rough water handling isn't so high on my list nice days only will be the order!

The pelins are a good boat but I'm not a huge huge timber fan grp is my preferd. Love the corsair but they are out of the price range at this stage.

Stern drives are a worry but they all seem to have them. The 350 just looks like really good bang for you bucks space light volume pretty eco to run

Shaft driven are available. This one is stunning. Not sure what you could get price down to. I
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-935927026.htm

Personally, I like Timber Hulls. There is a "feel" to them you don't get with GRP and a well built glass over ply Hull is just as good as GRP.

But if you want GRP, check this one out and it's a good price and a good All round Hull design.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-907541640.htm

Both those were after a real quick look. There may be many more if you want to have a good search.

another couple of thoughts for you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-974419391.htm

these started off as the Vindex 3000 (they are 30' LOD) built by John Senior and generally stern drive equipped, then Formula picked up the moulds and sold them as the Formula 33 fitted with shaft drives, and over the last 10 yrs Superior Boats have been building them (and receiving dishonorable mention in Jim Young's book because they refuse to pay him royalties), generally fitted with shaft drive. This particular boat is rather over priced.

and

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-974325761.htm

these Reflections are "sort of a Vindex", designed by Alan Young and built by Mc Dell. They have a somewhat deeper vee, 19 deg at the stern.  Mostly stern drive, but there are a few shaft versions around. Well built, they only have the single elevated helm station, but this is only a few steps up, not a ladder to a flybridge

marinheiro, I love your depth of knowledge. It is really awesome and very interesting to read.
One thing about boats above all other man made items, is that they gain a History almost like a Life. It is almost like some thorough bred Horse. Out of such & such, sired by so & so, owned by who & company etc etc.
I assume your level of knowledge covers both Power and Sail. I reckon that you should start a thread on Boat History of sorts, where you choose a Boat and then tell us all about Who designed it, why, the ideas it came about from, the builder/s and so on. Then it's performance and perhaps owners, which could be a little tuffer I suspect. I for one would be reading the info with great enthusiasm.

That superior is quite pricey I know the boat it's in mana. I think for that price Id go for a 375 even the formula 4000 are cheaper than the superior. The formula would be to expensive on diesel for me.

Wheels, thanks for your kind words. I have a fair knowledge of the boats around since the 70's but certainly not in the same league as Harold Kidd on older boats - there are certainly some interesting exchanges on the Waitemata Woodies site about the history of boats. Also John Mac Farlane has alot of info about more recent boats.

My biggest info source is my pile of old NZ boating magazines (Sea Spray, Boating World, & BNZ) going back to the early 70's.

I like both sail & power boats (anything that floats really), hence the interest on the power side, also being an engineer have that natural curiosity, which I know you will understand.

Will be interesting to see where Sow finishes up in his quest.

Hey guys think the decision has already been made to go with a vindex 350. The corsairs and vindex 375 are out of my price range. Can't do a timber boat, the pelins are again at the end of the budget and getting up there on diesel usage.

350 pros. Big volume well price good cruising speeds for diesel usage grp negatives are the legs