Why cant we buy this Antifoul

BP, when you go to get a price for that big Hull, take a picnic chair with you to sit down on. Once you have got over the initial shock, it's nice to get up off a chair than the ground ;-)

The commercial guys get away with it because they pay their lobbyists more than you pay yours!

Nah, just mostly due to where those few (if any now) came from. It was completely banned from World wide use back in 2008. But there are still one or two Countries in the Caribbean that are not, or were not adhering to that ban. I imagine those boats would only operate in those area's anyway. The other point is that TBT is now really hard to get hold of. None of the original manufacturers make it any longer. There would probably not be enough shipping using it to warrant any manufacturer to go into production of it.

That's the best way to view the price BP. The overall long term saving's, as against the initial cost.
The downside for most is the initial cost is like pulling nose hairs to make you eyes water. Only the likes of Lawyers, Accountants and Auckland Real Estate Agents can afford it ;-)

that makes far more sense for a govt organisation -

Wasn't the Gvt/s that banned it. It was the "International Maritime Organisation", which is under the umbrella of the United Nations.

a couple of us sitting around the other night and we thought WAX?could it applied hot to hull,bit like womans leg wax,would it stick to hull when cold and could it be faired?so now have a plate with wax on it submersed in a place that wont get disturbed,maybe in 3 weeks time will have a look, there of course a friction factor we have not considered.

I'm sure there's a chemist that roams this site. Create a super slippery two part polymer that the critters can't grab onto.

First part some kind of bonding agent, second part the slippery bit.

Wouldn't wax slow your boat down?

I'm sure there's a chemist that roams this site. Create a super slippery two part polymer that the critters can't grab onto.

First part some kind of bonding agent, second part the slippery bit.

That's what Intersleek is and several others make their own versions of it. Also Propspeed and the other versions of that. It can last up to 10yrs and works by the fact nothing can stay stuck to it. But only when the Vessel is underway. When still, the "critters" will cling on, and when the boat gets moving, it all falls off. I don't know what minimum speed is needed. But BP's Boat should be fast enough.

Price ranges from 2 to 3 times conventional AF prices. It needs special application, which would be additional cost and it is currently only available in Commercial quantities. In saying that, I don't know why an commercial applicator could not set himself up to do our size boats in opposition and alternative to Epoxy Copper Coat. It's much cheaper and may even help bring the cost of Copper Coat down.

found these

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/hull/intersleek%E2%80%88900%E2%80%88paint

everything falls off at 13mph - need to run at that speed at least once every 2 weeks - sounds perfect to me!

Here's an NZ applicator

http://oceaniamarinecoatings.co.nz/capabilities/intersleek/

wonder if they'll do a 32ft cat with a 400mm draft!

6 months I would be disappointed if there was anything more than slime. I can't see how a cup of Diesel would do anything, other than slow down the drying time.
To be absolutely sure, the only test would be an A/B test. A patch with and a patch without. Maybe one side with and one side without. Otherwise there is no way of really knowing.

Be aware that the coatings like Intersleek are only for Vessels that do a lot of moving, very little sitting around. These coatings will dirty up very quickly.They have little other protection to stop growth. Some brands have Biocides to slow growth, but they still won't stop it and rely on movement to keep it clean. And it is a decent speed required too.

• Upvote 1

Just remember that you have to get to 13knts with a dirty Hull and then you have to get out every two weeks if the weather suits, or it will be 3 weeks or maybe more and then you have to get a dirtier Hull to 13kts and so on.
There is a reason why suppliers don't make specific coatings easily available to the Public. I was talking to my friend just yesterday, whom used to own Hempels NZ. Hempels have an Antifouling that will last 5yrs. But it is not something the Public can buy. At least when he own the company anyway. So I asked why? He said simply that he was not interested in the Public Consumer market. Why sell 4 to 10ltrs at a time when you can sell 1000ltrs in one hit. Then there is the difficulty with dealing with the Public. Public expect coatings to keep Hulls spotless and none of them do, so you constantly field calls from people complaining their coating is not working as they expect it to. So when these long lasting Coatings are used, there are minimum requirements needed to have these coatings work. Like regular high speed movement etc. And so it was just simply too much hassle for want of dealing with Public. And that was also the View of Hempels in Europe as well and they are one of the biggest coatings manufacturer in the World. But likely the Public would never have heard of them.
The new NZ owners have changed that slightly in that they are now selling (via Paint retailers) the Consumer range of Hempel paint coatings. But they still do not offer the long lasting AF coatings.