Self Tacker?

Has anyone tried a self tacking jib on a gbe? Or any other similar size cat?

I have some track and a car at home, thought it could go across the main beam, not curved as it is only short.

Could be great for the no. 3 jib.

Any thoughts?

I've been racing on Attitude while Freedom is broken. They have a Self tacker number 3 that can be reefed to a number 4. I'm super impressed with that sail and how the boats goes with it.

Their setup is a flat track along the main beam, with the sheet going through the car and then forward to a block and tackle anchored on the front beam, with the tails coming back to cleats on the side of the cabin by the cockpit.

They have ropes to adjust the car position but they are only used to hold the car on the windward side during a tack. Once released the car seems to hold itself in the right position, using the sheet tension, about 3/4 of the way down the track. The ropes to hold it to windward during the tack aren't used a lot on Attitude but would definitely be needed on a GBE as Attitude tacks a whole lot better than a GBE.

One nice bonus is that with the self tacker not needing a winch, the traveller can go onto the primary winch and be worked hard.

Interesting. I have a similar set-up these days but I have to help the car or it will stop too close to the centre-line of the boat. I usually only have to pull it down after a tack and then the car stays in the right place. I higher winds, however, I have to apply the outhaul all the time as I want to open up the slot and still sheet the jib flat and that does not happen of itself with a straight track -- not on my boat at least.

Call it semi-self-tacking...

/Martin

Demon Tricycle had a wishbone boom for the non overlapper.  2 blocks - one each side of the mast and an endless sheet back to jammers each side.  all that was needed was to ease or pull the sheet for perfect sail trim.  That little boat was in serious fast mode with that jib set up.