One "idiot moment" leaves yachters (sic) destitute

Bugger - the things you do with your boat to keep the wife happy!

On Saturday, Geoff Phillips, 77, had been trying to help out his wife Aylin, who was in a dinghy a little closer to shore, but got stuck in the shallower water.

"It was just an idiot moment," he said. "She's a write-off, we've got nothing."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11566788

a sad way to end their sailing retirement

guess he just wasn't paying attention to the sounder as he tried to sneak in on a falling tide?

ruakaka.jpg

like a single car accident on a straight road on a nice day

a moments carelessness...  

Very sobering

I went down for a look this afternoon, sobering doesn't even begin to describe it.

It looks like at high tide it will have about four feet of water around it and it isn't a small yacht. It would take some serious gear to get it back in the water and the tides are only getting smaller. 

Will post up some photos in the next few days, I am just waiting to hear back from the owners to see if they mind. Have also offered them the use of my yacht if they need a liveaboard for a ,month or two.

• Upvote 1

Very very sad about the " Senior" couple.

It was only a matter of time for the Jet boat. I grew very tired of them playing among our moored boats at BeachHaven/Hobsonville. They completely breach the laws through that area with speed too close to shore and too close to moored vessels and doing their spins. If only they knew what was sitting on the mud, they would be a lot more cautious of zipping along that stretch. There is a nice lump of mooring that gets it's head above water at the lowest of lows, but most of the time is sitting just a a couple of cm's below the surface.

Guest waikiore2

Why was the yacht left for a whole week of calm westerly weather without being towed/ dug out? Then the well predicted east nor east arrives and its a news item?

14 hours ago, JKJ said:

Anyone know what happened to this boat or it’s owner?

They rented a small flat in whangarei for a while, and believe they were fixing the boat. But I'm not sure what happened in the end.