Dinghy furler (DIY or Buy)

So I'm setting up the Javelin to be easy to sail with the kids (3 and 6) while still being able to go for a blat with the full sails.

One of the things stressing me out is our oldest is not going to be strong enough or have the know-how to tack the jib for me or uncleat it when we come back to the slip. I have tried to find a jib with a shorter foot but had no luck. This has led me to consider a furler of some sort.

The problem is the cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my idea is to make one of these http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.co.nz/2010/12/how-to-build-roller-furler-for-under-40.html

I figure I'll need one of these swivels https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/315/barton-single-line-furling-gear to hoist every time we go sailing.

Is it that simple? What stops the top swivel from binding twisting the wire forestay halyard instead?

I have a spare one of these little furlers.

You run a continuous line through it. Attaches to the tack, the sail needs a non twisting tape in the luff, and a swivel at the top.

I used on a Fractional Zero on a R930 but it was a little small.

image.jpeg

Hi Dr Bob,

Sorry for not getting back earlier.

I'm figuring it might be a bit big for a Javelin if it was almost big enough for a R930? Any idea what it weighs and roughly how big is it?

Also, how much would you be after for it if it would work?

Cheers,

Chris

The wheel is 7cm diameter

Weighs 419 grams - I guess that's a lot on the end of a javelin prod

Rum would do it, but you're welcome to try it first

Another photo with an old school film can for size

IMG_6587.JPG

Hi Drbob,

Thanks for the offer. I was given one very similar over the weekend so looks like Howdie is in. The standard currancy amongst sailors does seem to be rum it seems.

Cheers,

Chris