Interior Paint?

Whats the consensus on interior paint for cabin of a GRP sailboat?

Will exterior Housepaint acrylics do ok as an interior paint?

I was thinking of Dulux weathershield or similar, with a suitable primer / undercoat.

I can buy 4 litres of that compared to the marine enamels of same quantity.

Thoughts?

I used "weathersheild" exterior semi gloss in the heads 4 years ago - still looks fine.

But I ain't a liveaboard, don't use the boat anywhere near enough, so high wear & tear might be more of an issue. Having said that, it's probably a lot easier to do patch ups and repairs than using some of the marine paints.

But, as with all my knowledge, I'm no expert.

And I have the same interest re SanFran on headlining paint.............

You can buy vinyl paint in spray cans from places like M10, supercheap and any autoparts shop. etc. Never tried using it myself.
Enamels are harder wearing and more water impervious. Marine and "non marine" make little difference. But don't go cheap. There are some really cheap "home handyman" paints from likes of Bunnings and they are cheap to be cheap. You find the pigments are pathetic and you need 4 coats to equal the coverage of 1 of a decent quality paint.
Acrylics are not so good at high wear and don't clean quite so easily. But it depends on where you are using it. One important thing is to never use an acrylic on a shelf for instance. You will come back in a month or two to find the items on it are now well stuck to it.
If you have small areas and want a real nice finish, try a spray can of Rust-o-leum. It's a Polyurathane and is a real stunning paint.
Ha, wife just threw the supercheap junkmail to me and it has Dupli-colour Vinyl paint, 2 cans for $30 in it.

You can buy vinyl paint in spray cans from places like M10, supercheap and any autoparts shop. etc. Never tried using it myself.

Enamels are harder wearing and more water impervious. Marine and "non marine" make little difference. But don't go cheap. There are some really cheap "home handyman" paints from likes of Bunnings and they are cheap to be cheap. You find the pigments are pathetic and you need 4 coats to equal the coverage of 1 of a decent quality paint.

Acrylics are not so good at high wear and don't clean quite so easily. But it depends on where you are using it. One important thing is to never use an acrylic on a shelf for instance. You will come back in a month or two to find the items on it are now well stuck to it.

If you have small areas and want a real nice finish, try a spray can of Rust-o-leum. It's a Polyurathane and is a real stunning paint.

Ha, wife just threw the supercheap junkmail to me and it has Dupli-colour Vinyl paint, 2 cans for $30 in it.

Thanks wheels.

I have the whole interior to paint,

Thanks wheels.

I have the whole interior to paint,

Mind you, a few cans of this Rust-o-leum stuff might do the trick, as a lot of my interior has carpet lining...or whatever the heck it is called, on the cabin sides, so it really is just the bulk-heads, wet-locker, and the cabin roof -- and she is only a 26 footer.  Am yet to decide whether to install headlining on the cabin roof to help with condensation in winter.

10 cans of this http://www.bunnings.co.nz/rust-oleum-2x-ultra-cover-340g-satin-heirloom-white_p00265641  = probably equal what you would pay for a can of paint, and being an inherently lazy bast*rd, the idea of spraying away instead of all the crap you gotta do with traditional painting out of a can, kinda makes sense to me!

What about the gloss versus satin / low sheen thing?

I don't have enough experience to know -- but is a freshly painted high-gloss down below too glary?

I wouldn't touch gloss unless youve got a pretty mint surface,  it'll accentuate imperfections.

Satin or semi-gloss would be my pick

The interior of Ballistic was painted with Por15 Whitecote

http://www.permanentpaintedcoatings.co.nz/por15/Products/Top_Coats/Whitecote.aspx

Having dropped all manner of heavy tools on the floor etc. I cannot rate this highly enough.  It basically started its life as a engine bay and chasis topcoat system I think.  Pete just brushed it on and you would hardly tell as it seems to have set up very nicely.

The interior of Ballistic was painted with Por15 Whitecote

http://www.permanentpaintedcoatings.co.nz/por15/Products/Top_Coats/Whitecote.aspx

Having dropped all manner of heavy tools on the floor etc. I cannot rate this highly enough.  It basically started its life as a engine bay and chasis topcoat system I think.  Pete just brushed it on and you would hardly tell as it seems to have set up very nicely.

Not sure I want a glossy interior, but...might use it for my decks!

"Being a POR 15 moisture cured topcoat makes it ideally suited to all marine uses from decks to engine rooms."

Just remember that Gloss is always the easiest to Clean. Satin is not too bad, but Matt has a surface that can be difficult to clean and is usually not good for wet areas.
That Carboline enamel Marinheiro noted earlier, has an antiseptic in it. You can also buy many Internal House paints with mould inhibitors in them

It's a "cleaner" option. No overspray going everywhere and no need to mask. By a really good brush and use the Roll and tip method. Roll on the Paint so as you cover an area quickly and evenly, then with vertical strokes, use the very tip of the brush to smooth out the paint surface. The hairline brush marks will flow out and vanish and you end up with a surface pretty darn close to a sprayed finish.

Anyone had any experience with "Epoxy Enamel" as an interior paint? Its readily available from Bunnings etc for a reasonable price as a rust treatment topcoat. Im hoping to find a single pot system that can go straight over my suitably sanded, already in ok condition interior paint. Open to other suggestions.

Cheers

I'm defiantly going to be rolling and tipping, that way I can do it ad-hoc as time allows, also, spraying the quarter berths would be a nightmare. Another consideration is the Carboline Enamel though I do not know where to purchase it. Id be keen on a test spot. Re flowcoat, I will be painting over single pot varnish in some areas and am unsure of how the polyester will react with it. Ideally I'm looking for a good quality semi gloss enamel (or similar) that sticks to anything and flows out nice. I'm pretty fussy with finishes.