2016 Marsden Cove Route 66 - Fri 4 March

Race due to start as this is typed - check out the PredictWind Tracker to follow the 70 racers from ashore.

http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/race/ryc

Here are the divisional splits for the 2016 Route 66:

A1 Division - Open Keelers

Apparition, Celadon, Hornblower, Hullaballoo, Hupane, Itchy Feet, Kairos 1, Mischief Maker, Pahi, Provincial Cowboy, R N B, Spearhead, Special Lady, Thirsty Work, Titanium
Transformer, Truxton, Udder Life

A2 Division - Open Keelers

Choice Transport, Crocodile, Echelon, Faster Coyote, John Barleycorn, Mahita, Nautique, Predator, Pukeko, Quantum Leap, Rebel Yell, Rush, The Taniwha, Unitec (One), Yotosaurus

B1 Division - Singlehanded Open

Anarchy, Berenice, Catabatic, Clandestine Jet, Cool Change, Flying Boat, Gale Force, Heaven 'N' Hell, Oracle, Rattle n Rum, Real Deal, Revolution Blues, Space Station, Sunfast 3600 Racing, Taboo, Tack Hammer, That Girl, Unitec II, Voom, Waimanu, Wild, Wild Oats, Wishbone

B2 Division - Singlehanded No Extras

Big Bickies, Communique, Cordite, Flojo, Fulmar, Glory Days, JJ, Kristina, Nexus

M Division - Multihulls

2 of 10, Catenza, Pulse XTC, Sundreamer, Superbad

70 Boats!

The predictwind trackers seem to be a bit unreliable. Boats dropping in and out of signals. It seems a bit strong to threaten a 10% time penalty for a system that is less than reliable. I'm sure it's for refusal or deliberately turning it off for some advantage but still.

Stretching legs - whatever.

fleet not even past Whangapoaroa yet. Sundreamer pulled out. 

It was like this about 4 years ago on Bump n Grind. we got just off tiri and pulled out, back to gulf harbour to get on the piss.

Gonna be a loooong night for them. and no wind in sight either. boo sux!!

The predictwind trackers seem to be a bit unreliable. Boats dropping in and out of signals. It seems a bit strong to threaten a 10% time penalty for a system that is less than reliable. I'm sure it's for refusal or deliberately turning it off for some advantage but still.

I agree that if this situation was to eventuate the SI's should be clearer than the current "each competitor will be required to use the PredictWind GPS tracking service in this year's race. Boats that fail to track will be ineligible for PredictWind spot prizes and risk receiving a 10 minute penalty on elapsed time." What is the definition of fail to track???

I don't suppose there is much foiling going on off westhaven either?

as we came back in etnz were just foiling towards okahu bay

and the red bull flying phantoms were very occasionally getting up on their foils

in front of westhaven 

I've been in a different race that finished at No 9 buoy and was stuck between No 7 and No 9 trying in vain to get there in no wind.  Wind died just past No 7.  The only thing that made us cross the finish line was that the tide changed...first time ever finishing a race with the boat completely sideways.  It was the tide that made us finish the race, not the wind at all.

I feel the pain of those boats that got stuck....so frustrating.

I've been in a different race that finished at No 9 buoy and was stuck between No 7 and No 9 trying in vain to get there in no wind.  Wind died just past No 7.  The only thing that made us cross the finish line was that the tide changed...first time ever finishing a race with the boat completely sideways.  It was the tide that made us finish the race, not the wind at all.

I feel the pain of those boats that got stuck....so frustrating.

Done an Onerahi 100 way back, the skipper was the first to finish, going backwards. :wtf: