It lives and thanks

Sunday is launch date. That's when I find out how poorly balanced it all is and where I need to put reinforcements.

There is plenty I would like to have spent more time on but I had to stop somewhere if I want to sail this summer.

So winter is going to be busy with a prod, reinforcing the cockpit so I can be a bit more confident about removing the traveler bar etc.

As it turns out I have three proper Javelin mainsails for it. My 6 year old is pretty keen to get out sailing so with the Junior Cherub main and furling jib I get to combine sailing with hanging out with him. Best of both worlds. I figure by the middle of next summer he might be up to trapezing with this main.

Of course I'll put one of the big mains on for sailing with other adults.

For now the boat is for going places like the lighthouse, camping at Oyster Island, Rabbit Island and the like. The sailing for sailing sake will come later I'm sure.

I'm more interested in trying to get an old shorter footed main that I can furl as I think in anything over 10 knots it might get a bit interesting.

We went sailing on Sunday afternoon.

The wee boy thought it was great which was the main thing I was after.

A bit much lee helm at this stage so will try and move the rig back in the boat.

The furler was the star of the show. Made it super easy to depower the whole thing.

The centreboard split a little though so back to the garage I think.

Anyone know where to get cheap laminated pine shelving for a core?

Sooooo, the whole lot got blown over in the storm we had last Wednesday. It looks like the wind got under the hull and lifted the whole lot up before dumping it back on the concrete. Lots of stress cracks all over the show. The front aluminium frame has punched through the side decks. The hull has a small split at the front of the centreboard case.

So back in the garage it goes for the winter.

I'm a bit gutted as you'd imagine.

Sooooo, the whole lot got blown over in the storm we had last Wednesday. It looks like the wind got under the hull and lifted the whole lot up before dumping it back on the concrete. Lots of stress cracks all over the show. The front aluminium frame has punched through the side decks. The hull has a small split at the front of the centreboard case.

:-( that's so sad to hear :-(

I'm so happy you're using and having fun with the Jav Phil - knew you were the right man for that  :thumbup: When he's ready Ngakau will come for a blat.

Oh sh*t :(   Really sorry to hear that - the term "character forming" doesn't quite begin to cover it.

Yes, the term "character building" did come to mind more than once.

I just had a mate check in on me tonight to make sure I wasn't curled up in the corner crying.

I've had a better look at it and I think I'm going to have to strip all the paint (nice fresh new paint) off the side decks and tanks and sheath the whole lot in 100gm fibreglass.

Fun times.