Westhave Nazis Strike Again

There is another aspect to this that i would like to raise - that is the role of 'crew'. The Westhaven website referes often to Berth Holders and 'their Guests'. The crew of a yacht are neither, they are Crew, part of a team without which I can not use the yacht for its intended purpose. Sometimes they take the boat out on their own, sometimes they carry out maintenance. In many respects they treat the boat as if it were their own. They are not 'guests', they are part of the team and I think that any parking restrictions must acknowledge the fact that if these people can not easily do they things that they typically do, then I as a berth holder can not operate in the way i expect to.

That is an interesting point. The rules say only the owner can work on the boat. Anyone else (like me) needs to have ship repairers insurance, and be a registered contractor etc. Costs about $2000 to be "legal". You should bring this up with your marina management to get a clear picture of the requirements.

I think you have lebleaux a bit wrong IT. What he is saying is a yachts crew aren't guests they are generally and integral part of making a yacht work properly.

He is suggesting what Westhaven is effectively saying is the chief pilot of the Boeing 747 can fly for free but everyone else has to pay, even if the aircraft can't fly and do so safely without the co-pilot, cabin crew, engineers etc. He is suggesting these crew are worthy of some consideration above the fare paying guests sitting in the back.

I reckon he's right.

I agree totally Km, but that's not how the rules read right now

I think westhaven have got it pretty right on the carparking.

As a berthholder I certainly don't want to never be able to get a car park because the spaces are all full of cars parked by people working in downtown. And the 2 hour window along with not towing after 4pm seem to me to sort the issue out without impactig 99% of boaties - if you're allowed 2 hours and then there's no checking from 4 that pretty much means you can park from 2pm which should be early enough for most race/crew situations.

As long as they're willing to be helpful and accommodate the odd request through the office for the odd exception like what's been mentioned above then I don't see a problem at all.

In terms of not being able to work on a boat unless you are the owner - what defines "work"? Is it OK for the crew to shoot down mid week and prep the boat for a big weekend race I'd the owner doesn't have time? Or do we all need to be selling our crew token shares in our boats to have them allowed to do anything?

I agree with Raz88, difficult situation and at least Westhaven are working to come up with the right answer.

My 2c wrth - more can be done to get the 3 clubs to manage illegal parking in the yellow spaces by their non-sailing guests.  I often struggle to find a park near my boat thanks to users of the squaddy at weekends and mid-week (often by muppets who park across the yellow lines taking up 2 spaces)