Flares

So I'm on a pitching disabled boat and I light a magnesium flare which starts dripping molten metal on gel coat, metal, flesh . .

Nope, not gonna happen !!

No way would I EVER ignite one on a sailboat of less than 40 feet under any circumstances. There are WAY too many things that could go badly wrong in a hurry. 

So, . .as a gringo I apologize for the USCG's corruption and bureaucratic inertia for not having addressed this decades ago. 

And, um, while I'm about it, I also apologize for our totally dysfunctional politics in general, and Donald Trumph in particular. 

And, um, while I'm about it, I also apologize for our totally dysfunctional politics in general, and Donald Trumph in particular. 

I should bloody think so!!!

Interesting the numbers who are "unimpressed" with flares.

I think a good joke would be to let off a heap of handheld whites and reds inside the crater of Rangitoto one night. Some low cloud over top to reflect the glare. That's get a few city dwellers excited

had thought of going up to the north head tunnels after hours and letting my old flares off,let a parachute off  a few years ago,only just expired,went up then sideways in to neighbours brick house,needless to say they weren't home and sculted inside and turned out the lights.beer n flares??

Fun, but I'm not sure a tunnel is the place to let of an incendiary device... :)  choke :o

Well over the years I've let off plenty, lot's of expired ones coz that's what we use for training & never had a problem.

And if I was on anything needing a rescue i'd let them off, 1 in each hand if I thought it would help.

All these anecdotal fears that they will set you on fire, set the boat on fire etc. see a little paranoid to me.

Remember, in the situation you are talking about, it may be the difference between getting found, or dying at sea.

I know it has been raised before but what about the led flares?ok not approved by mnz or ynz but having pyrotechnics rolling around in locker is safe? hell of a cost if you keep replacing them as required every 3 yrs.

flare1.jpg

I was given these the other day and Ive been thinking "why are these OK for planes and not boats" they essentially are for the same purpose we need them and do the same thing as YNZ say we need but are half the size. They are orange smoke one end and red hand flare the other. Im sure KM and Phil with their vast aeronautical experience can add to this, they are also probably half the price too given they are less than half the size. Im sticking them in my grab bag so they can age there until well past expiry and then ultimately we can use them one NYE.

Just to put them into scale I have included a pic of them with an SYM. ( Standard Yacht Measure)

IMG_3289 copy.jpg

Yeah, we'd sure like to get that flare thing straightened out, 

but we're too busy debating whether guns should be able to 

marry each other . . 

I like Canadians too - sail over there frequently. From our Club it's 

about four hours to the Canadian islands and six hours to the mainland. 

250px-Pelee_Island_map.png

They are fine to use here. Sail across the Tasman and you'll often see a dozen or more. On a clear night you can see them out off the West Coast if you have some Binos.

US$99 is cheap, only 2 of the below cost less, the rest cost more but then they have locators in them, up to 30nm range and can go for up to 8 days between charges. I'm told you can actually programme the big blue one to strobe in time with music, no idea why you'd want too though....... unless fish like a bit of Salmon and Garfunkel, Tuna Turner or maybe sing-a-long to some Codplay or Sealion Dion ;)

attachicon.gifF1.jpg

So I guess it's true, some boatbuilding products like epoxy & paint can cause long term brain damage!  ;-)

• Upvote 1

Point of Interest, as I understand it, Baileys ins. Brokers cover replacement of flares as part of your insurance package, correct me if I have that wrong.

Re flare dates the expiry time frame is set by the manufacturer (of course) I have an orion flare launcher (pistol) the flares 25mm and 12mm have a 4 year life.

They are far cheaper than the ones generally available here, unfortunately replacements unavailable in NZ and they wont ship out of the states, Hawaii and maybe American Samoa are the nearest possibilities to buy any.

Steve,

Policy wording from NZI Marine Pleasurecraft Policy:

Under:

Prevention of loss to your craft

2.  the cost of having to replenish, refill or replace safety flares or fire extinguishers that were used
in trying to prevent or minimise a loss that is insured by this policy

Most other marine policies have general words to the same effect.

I.E.) if you use them in order to mitigate the loss they will generally be replaced.

That Sirius device is a joke, I'd like to call them out on their bullshit 10mile range - To get that range you'd need both sides to be 22ft above sea level in order to just get around the earths curvature which when you're in distress isn't likely to happen. If your on deck and about 10ft above the waterline then the other side would need to be 38ft up to barely see you.

Unsafe marketing there that may get someone killed :/

'I think about 2 hundy each'.  

That is probably the most specific quote I would expect from Blusty and Trundell.

Nothing like actually knowing what an item costs, or taking the time to actually find information for a customer...

Note to mention, that would make pyro's cheaper.