Ross 780

Hello all,

I want to reinstall the outboard back in the well as it originally was. Bottom hole has been roughly glassed over. Has anyone got photos (or willing to take some) of how the plug was fitted and how the outboard was mounted in the well.

It is a Hopwood built boat. Most boats here (AUS) have the outboard on the stern but the stern is not solid enough in my boat and moving badly, eventually it will break.

Thanks,

Peter

Il try get a couple this weekend,

We currently replacing the deck as ours was the first glass hull, so the decks were ply and went rotten.

The Outboard mount bracket wont be in any pics i take but it is just a piece of 10x2inch wood mounted on big butty hinges so the whole outboard tilts up (rather than using the tilt in the outboard) this alows the motor to come forward when tilted so the hole in the hull can be smaller. Be sure to mount a lock for this so that in reverse the motor does not try tilt up on its own.

Na we dont cover it up, i dont see any point in covering it, it doesnt get in the way at all, we do have a plug thing that goes in the well to fill the hole tho.

and yes, as far as i know, the setup 780 is the same as the 930, well at least the 930 i sail on.

Sweet, I'll grab some photos for you. Mine is one of the more basic I've around the 930's I've seen but works well... excuse the pun.

I don't cover my outboard when it's up or down. Currently have a 8hp 2-stroke which is noisy but it's usually a 9.9 4 stroke which isn't anywhere near as bad. I also have a little door dodacky I drop in when racing, sometimes don't bother when cruising.

Stand by

Haven't fallen into mind that often or when sober :?

Damn handy spot for keeping empties during races, rubbish and empties during cruising or fish and empties when you catch some.

Also good to stand in with the shower off the end of the boom. I've also used the well to wash the dishes (chuck them in and about 30mins motoring does a great job), and about an hour does a small load of washing pretty damn good :thumbup:

About the only thing I do watch for is ropes sliding down there. The bracket dohicky would stop most I would expect but I keep an eye on it just to save any sudden 'Oh crap, motor died' moments.

Also with the outboard in the well you don't get Inspector grief about having an outboard as it's actually a inboard :thumbup:

One of those things you'll only fall into as many times as it takes to remember where you put ya feet. My tiller comes just over the end so I find I tend to know when I'm getting close by how far the tillers up my bum. I think someone must have made the tiller in Ponsonby :) :lol:

Right try these shots of the glamour. I thought she looked ruff to the eye but the photos..... yuck.

Std 8hp 2 stroke. It usually is a 9.9 yammy Hi thrust long shaft which does take up a bit more hole. The 8hp is a short shaft.

Top photo - apart from the grime, been a while since a good scrub as it doesn't affect speed and I'm lazy. You can see the bracket it all hangs off. On the bottom of the bracket you can just see 2 small alloy L brackets bolted to the floor. Then a 6mm odd pin running between them and 2 lugs on the bottom of the bracket. That is the 'hinge' so to speak.

You can see some timber which is what the outboard itself screws onto just as they do to a transom or whatever normally. That's a hi speed bodgy to take the 8. That timber will also slide up and down in the bracket, which it doesn't need to with the 8 but a little with the 9.9.

Also you can see the fuel hose which runs to a locker. And right on the bottom middle of the shot is a SS L dodacky which the whole shebang leans on when upright.

Bottom photo is the hole in total. You can see the 2 stop brackets and by the top of the bracket you can see it is leaning on another pair of stops when it's up. Bottom of the shot s a alloy vennt from the locker which has a std tote tank of fuel in it. No idea what the metal thing at the back of the well is for, it's outta there in the big tickle at the end of the season.

post-646-141887156749.jpg

post-646-141887156997.jpg

2 more with the motor in go position.

Top shot - The hinge bit at the bottom again and a better view of the timber and bracket. The bracket is alloy.

Bottom shot - shows the alloy channel in the bracket which the timber slides up and down on when required. The 'up' stops and yet more filth. When in cruising mode she3 sits down at the bum a little so water gets in the hole and makes it yucky. She's nearly race mode at the moment so it sits higher and doesn't go quiet so yucky in there. Some of the stains are quite likely alcohol related more than grime I suspect, I did have to have a quick clean from last weekend...Opps.

That's pretty much it really. A bit of fiddling with geometry and I don't think it would need to slide up and down. Mine doesn't with the 8hp but does a little with the 9.9.

As D2 had been playing with the camera of course the frecking batteries were dead so I'll have to get a couple of shots of the hole itself, basically just a rectangle approx. 300 wide by 400-450 fore n aft. I'll also snap the door we drop in, a incredibly bodgy but highly effective bit of gear it is indeed. Looks like someone was fitting doors at home and just pinched part to make on for the boat :)

Ponder that lot in the meantime. Happy to take measurements if you like or if you are passing A21 Bayswater marina, jump on and have a play, no worries. Actually make sure you get the right finger or you could end up on No Worries, a turboed 930 :) He's on C about 3/4 of the way out and runs a 8hp set up just a little different so if your down there you have 2 boats you can suss.

Make comments at the glamour finish on Ians boat and I will hurt you :) It is a very good looker and worth a quick suss to be honest. He's worked hard on pretty, a bit harder than I have so far. {insert - :lol: :lol: to offset the Grrr... factor when thinking to self about the variance in finishes on our 2 boats}

post-646-141887157002.jpg

post-646-141887157004.jpg

We also had a rope drop through the hole and get jammed between the rudder and the hull, jamming the rudder movement. This was on an 830 which has a inboard rudder.

Is the ali frame needed to raise the motor or could you get away with a fixed height mount if you weren't swapping motors..

I would take a photo of my setup but I can't swim. We have had 11" of rain in the past 11 days, boat will float soon. Forecast is for more

Peter

I reckon if you get the geometry right you wouldn't need the 'lift' part of that bracket. I don't need to lift with the short shaft 8hp but do with the long shaft 9.9.

The lift bit is more to move the outboard forward in the well once it's up to give it all enough length to fit the extra length of the shaft in. In one of the photos you can see the outboard in the up position and if that was the 9.9 the head comes a lot closer to the forward end of the well.

So I suppose it depends if you want to run short or long shafts. I haven't had issues with the 8 but then are aware it's gutless head on into crap with it's massive 2" prop on the 930 so sail instead. With the 9.9 with the hi-thrust 8-9" prop, I can motor into just about anything any time at 5 plus knots worse case. Being a bit heavier than a 780 I wouldn't get the arse jumping up and down hence prop jumping clear of the water issue I would expect.

Archived