Stains in gel coat above the Waterline

The expensive way is T jett teak brightener, but there are other spray on products in smaller packs and cheaper.Just ask at the chandler.

I have the brightener , so I use that once a year. But you do need to wash it off and then wax it.

AFU has the answer. That stain will dissolve with no elbow grease at all. Buy some Oxalic acid powder from Bunnings for under $20. It will last you for years. this is what the active ingredient in Grunt etc is.

Use 2 teaspoons of it in a 1/2 litre of water, and wet a cloth. Use gloves. Wipe the damp cloth over the stain, and give it 5 mins. You really will be amazed! You can hose the area when finished.

It is a good idea to polish the area with a quality canuubra (sp?) car wax, or the stain will come back sooner.

I've used many of the products above, but have had the stain return relatively quickly, despite trying various waxes. Note this is on two part polyurethane paint, not gel coat. 

Six months ago clear coated my boat with Nyalic by roller, and to their spec. The brown stain stayed away! I'm most impressed by the product. Not cheap, but effective.

(The usual disclaimer here of having nothing to do with the company mentioned, just recommending a good product)

Well I was getting down to two weeks before the brown stain returned after the Oxalic acid treatment, and following with a wax. 

If you look at the bows of many boats in a bay there are many with brown stains. Somedays I'm not sure marine paint has improved over time...

I don't think it's the Paint that's the problem Tim. There's something in the water ;-)
Actually, it would be interesting to get an analysis of the surface and see what it really is. It could be simply a slime/algae, or it could be something washed off our roads now we have different emission controls on vehicles, or it could be a mineral or similar from Soil washed off the land from all the new work around Auckland. Perhaps even a "tea stain" from tannin's from vegetation.