Laser or Starling ?

My 14 year old son who is, already 6 ft tall is ready to move out of his P class . He is a bean pole presently weighing sround 53 kg. He is likely to be 6'2" or more by summer.

Question is do we go Starling next or just progress to a Laser. I would prefer to not be buying a boat now then another next season.

Anyone have a suggestion as to best way to progress ?

PT? What's that ?

paper tiger, two boats in one!

there are a few sailing at Muritai and they are always keen to help out a newbie

personally i think the starling is a sweet boat to sail, but at his present size ( and still growing ...) wonder if the laser would be better.

why not get him to try sailing both and see what suits?

Ahhhh i see!

He has sailed both and has struggled a bit with full rig laser but would probably be fine with a 4. 7 rig but my guess is by the summer he will have put some more meat on his bones so would go ok with a full rig.

From memory the optimum weight for a Starling is 65Kg with minimum entry weight considered as 55kg.  When my daughter was sailing there were a few trying to sail at 50kg but they really struggled in the heavier conditions.  Having said that the girl that was previously sailing my daughters boat was just over 50kg and had developed techniques to cope and was very competitive.  They boys she was sailing against really started to become noncompetitive at around 70-75 kg depending on their skill level.

I don't know much about the Lasers other than there are three rig sizes - 4.7, radial and full.  A quick google search shows the weight ranges for each as

Laser 4.7 - 35 - 55kg

Laser radial - 55 - 70kg

Laser (full rig) - 60kg +

http://www.laserinternational.org/info/thelaserformula 

maybe get a laser and change the rig as he gets bigger? pretty common. everything is the same except the bottom section and the sail itself. i picked up a (second hand) radial bottom section and sail in decent condition for a few hundred.

probably he'd be ok in either a 4.7 or radial now, depending on which has a better fleet to sail against? and then moving to a full rig at maybe 60-65kg.

Had a similar thing with my son. Went from the Opti one season, half the next season in a P, then on to the Laser Radial as I figured he would be putting on height & weight too fast to come up to speed with the Starling & I'd probably be looking at a Laser after a season anyway. Problem was that after a year & having just turned 15 he was 6'1" & too heavy for the Radial. He had a disastrous light weather nationals so moved on to the full rig but despite doing well lost interest in sailing with a bunch of old men rather than his friends many of whom were still in Optis.

I'd recommend the Laser Radial although at 53kg he is going to have to work hard in the stronger winds - but something he can grow in to rather than growing out of a Starling. If you are at a club with senior members in Lasers it would make it easier, in my sons case they sailed only Radials so he was having to leave his mates & sail elsewhere.

My 14 year old son who is, already 6 ft tall is ready to move out of his P class . He is a bean pole presently weighing sround 53 kg. He is likely to be 6'2" or more by summer.

Question is do we go Starling next or just progress to a Laser. I would prefer to not be buying a boat now then another next season.

Anyone have a suggestion as to best way to progress ?

My only other comment would be to let your son sail what he is interested in sailing.  That is likely to be the same boat type as his mates are planning on sailing.  Don't look too far in advance as there seems to be a natural drop off point of about 16 years old where the kids start finding things other than sailing to interest them.

Young, light plus tall...got to have a serious look at the Farr 3.7.  Way more fun than a Laser and the sort of boat that puts a smile on the face of a youngster.  Or crew on a 12ft skiff/R class.  Plenty of time for serious classes later on.  Best way to get through the age when most kids leave sailing is to get out on a crazy fast crash and burn boat.  A PT might just scrape into that category......just.

2 hulls double the fun. ;-)

From the Napier Sailing Club site.

Paper Tiger Catamaran

(Twin hull) boat. Fast and exciting sailing. Ideal for adrenaline junkies between 65 -80 kg weight.

Unfortunately I was 90 kg but still had plenty of fun.

Back in my PT days, Rex Sly won two nationals on the trot,one windy and one not. I'm pretty sure he only weighed around 9 stone, sorry, no idea what that is in new money.

A full rig Laser is going to be too much in over about ten knots, although from memory it feels really REALLY good to pass the top sailors on a flying reach, while theyre still sitting on the side!

My only other comment would be to let your son sail what he is interested in sailing.  That is likely to be the same boat type as his mates are planning on sailing.  Don't look too far in advance as there seems to be a natural drop off point of about 16 years old where the kids start finding things other than sailing to interest them.

Yep mine started in "p" at 10 yr went to starling at 12yr,5ft 11    80kg,to a sunburst,now 16yr ,yeah if you must go out today(keelboat)i will check with mates first. starting to show interest in  PT.  6ft 2     102kg

Cheers guys

Looking likely to head down the Starling route at this stage. Primarily due to the numbers sailing at his club and the fact many of his mates intend moving into starlings next.

Will let you know what way we go eventually!

does that mean you are looking for a boat? think i know of one at muritai, possibly a glass boat, been well looked after and not used much recently, 

Hi Grant

Yes definitely looking. Not sure if the budget will extend to a glass starling though. Daddys boat needs new standing rigging haha

will get see if its still for sale and get some details, PM your contact and i'll see what i can do