Marine windows

Guest Monster mash

Guest Robertcateran

Laminated glass is not as strong as ordinary glass. It just holds together after breaking. Toughened glass is so much stronger

Hoping for 1 month max

KM I have some bad news for you. You may not be able to accept it right now but if you like I can put it in an envelope and you can open it at the end of the first month. I will also give you a couple of others for the second and third months but maybe I will tape those ones to a bottle of rum because you will be needing it by then.

No offence is intended by the above - as boat owners with ideas, it is our destiny and we just have to go through with it.

Hehe, I have a friend refitting his L....unmentionable, and he thought he would build the cabin in a couple of weekends. I told him it would take him much much longer. A complete winter later, he had the cabin skeleton ready to go. He hauled out the boat to a yard and expected to have removed the old cabin and fit the new and anti-foul and relaunch in 7 days. 6 weeks later she went back in the water. First goal was having the boat mobile by Queens Birthday Weekend, which at that time was a couple of months away. So the story to date is that he has just finished gutting the inside. I fitted the fuel and water tanks last weekend. I have just finished the motor install. He is now starting the rebuild. I suggest that if he works really hard, he might just be lucky enough to get it finished in time for Christmas. He is a House Builder which I think explains it all. House Builders don't make good Boat builders.

I did use 'hoping' Murky.

I'm aiming at 2 weeks but as I've been there done that, I've doubled it. But sadly I do know you are probably right :?

That's why I'm getting my windows ready now. One thing less to go wrong and delay when she is high and dry.

So what is the advantage of toughened glass over lexan/perspex? More scratch-resistance? (I can see there are not many votes for laminated though).

And how does the price compare? (Assuming you are not paying for the ones that blow up during the pre-bending process).

Speaking from painful and expensive experience don't use toughened safety glass if it's curved to the cabin top and may get whacked from anything/anywhere.

I'm on my 3rd window as the jib inhauler has taken out my window 3 times. The second time I was standing 3 feet from it watching and the hit was no more than dropping a kite bag with a jib hank or Wichard clip on it. This time I've gone for polycarbonate. This caused conflicting expert advice.

Lloyd from AB Windows ( who's work has been great I hasten to add) was of the opinion that the poly would degrade rapidly whereas Craig Partridge told me that the wundoze on Jive Talkin' (to use one example) were 9 years old and were being replaced as the shape was changing. Should the poly start to craze over the years just take to it with the Brasso and polypad.

I've gone for Craig's advice for the experience he has as well as the considerable cost saving. Plus I KNOW the glass will break again with the system I have and I'm sick of picking glass splinters out of my digits

Oh aren't you all being bloody helpful ;)

OK I think I may look at other options or possibly ask bloke again just to make sure I'm knot getting fecked up with terminolgical wordy things.

I want wave proof and the ability to see to actually see through them clearly.

Currently looking through the windows is about the same as using Wals eyes after he's had a good many hours of biggie at the yachtie i.e. OK for dodging big things about the size of a building but no where near good enough to pick up whether they are a C or double D cup ;) Actually a lot of time it's even hard to tell if they are male or female :? :lol:

Ayshel hev yew kneow

that after last Thursday where I was attacked in the PCC by 6 pints of Leon Rouge, and a glass of red wine at home, thereafter spending Friday on the couch at home chundering my ring out, that my liver will continue unpunished for a short while :thumbdown:

I will have my revenge.......

I was attacked in the PCC by 6 pints of Leon Rouge, and a glass of red wine at home,

Must be related to that bot of Gay that viciously attack me last week. A flock of them took a couple of us apart in quite a big way.

The sneaky bastards, it's a bloody conspiracy I tell you :) :)

I was attacked in the PCC by 6 pints of Leon Rouge, and a glass of red wine at home, thereafter spending Friday on the couch at home chundering my ring out

Used to sail with a guy who called that stuff "purging ale". It would be fairer if they were willing to put that on the label.

Thanks for the fulsome answer on the windows - so polycarbonate = lexan/perspex?

Re jib inhaulers: sailed on a boat with them recently and wondered what we ever saw in tracks. Row after row of holes through your deck...the really cool boats had multiple tracks...oh the toe-stubbings.

polycarbonate = brand name lexcen

Acrylic = brand name perspex.

most new windows are now stuck in with VHB tape. (Very high Bond double sided tape) including truck and bus panels, any flat plate car window as well as aircraft panels. It dosnt come off.

You then mask and tape and seal with a sealant of your choice. I suggest high modulus scilicone. Screws are redundant.

uv resistant (both sides) polycarbonate is the most impact resistant, but scratches the easiest.

Done a whole boat loads worth not that long ago.....twice....first time the wrong way !!

ps posted a whole "how to do it" last night but it seems to have gone ? :eh:

IB, So the Polycarbonate sheet you used has a UV coating?? Because if it doesn't, it will have less impact strength than Acrylic after about 12mths. Acrylic has a natural UV resistance and a scratch resistant coating.

Neither products are any good if a wiper blade is going to sweep over it.

Glass remains the best for clarity and strength over time. 10mm toughened glass has the same impact strength as 100mm solid glass. That takes some breaking.

I have 10mm in my Pilot house windows and Perspex everywhere else. I had a large track car fly get wipped by the Genoa sheet into the Glass. It sounded like a rifle shot. It hit three times and survived.

The most important thing to watch with toughened glass is how it is sat down on the ground. Make sure you alway have something to protect the edge under it. The smallest little chip on it's edge, and the stuff is either history or soon will be.

Of course, any glass doesn't like being bent. It will handle small bends, but the more stress you put into the pane, the less impact it will take.

Also, Glass does not allow UV light to pass through it.

Craig's adhesive was a Dow Corning product. At least 5mm thick screeded on. Due to the curvature of my cabin we bunged a screw in each corner to stop the beggar from peeling back. If your panel's flat you won't need screws

If anyone wants a free cartridge of Simson ISR 70-03 then PM me. I have a cartridge left over after doing my windows & it may as well get used by someone. I got if from the company over by Wairau Rd who stock it as a replacement for the product recommended in the SR thread.

See: http://www.simson.nl/products-detail.asp?PageID=1016&Titel=EN%20ISR%2070-03

IB, So the Polycarbonate sheet you used has a UV coating??

Yes absolutely...the backing plastic sheet will state that.

You can get one sided, but two is much better because you do get reflected uv.

..Poly is the poorest choice for clarity !! but there is a good reason why it is used in other applications for impact resistance. (ask a current member of the armed forces if he/she would like to substitute back to acrylic or glass).

In my case I have used poly for most of the deck adjacent lights.

They are most likely to cop a block or two..in fact they are designed to be walked on. BUT in a couple of more protected but visually important windows , I have 10 mm acrylic. If these suffer from scratches too much I will change them to glass. But they are 300mm x 200mm flat..in a protected area.

I have glass glued on with a product from adhesive technology. happy with results, no sign of corners peeling back, about 60mm bend over 1m. The scariest thing i had ever seen 2 weeks into my apprenticeship was my boss pushing a single piece of glass onto the inside of a townsend 32 coaming to cover the 2 main windows. The glass was about 2m long and pushed in about 200mm. The scary thing is he used an acrow prop to push it in, across the cabin to the hull on the other side. I saw the boat recently (about 12 years later) and the same windows are still there. Shows how tough the Dow Corning stuff is.

Terostat from Adhesive Technologies is very good. We have toughened glass windows - haven't broken one yet in 7 years - they are not bent but some over 1 metre long. Silaflex MS is probably ok also (mitre 10 or placemakers)- a very good and economical general purpose sealant. Our boat has no leaks at all.

Both clean up with meths.

PS - I much prefer tougened glass to plastic - our windows are probably 27 years old, have crossed several oceans and are still as good as new. The hatches which are probably thick acrylic are quite crazed.

Archived