Marine windows

Guest Monster mash

Can I also request that the old threads with drink/cocktail recipes - mostly combinations of Mt Gay, limes and sugar - also make it to the list? :thumbup:

Any idea whether the is such a thing as the 'inside' and 'outside' side of perspex (ie which side faces inside the boat and which side is exposed to the elements!). The perspex windows I have was precut before I purchased the yacht for the rebuild and it doesn't make any reference on the protective paper stuck to the perspex. Think I read something about the inside / outside on the interweb but now can't find any reference so might just be going mad!

maybe it depends on the product, with the polycarb windows I had they only had a coating on one side so there was a correct way to fit them - the protective paper was marked showing which side had the coating.

Perhaps if there are no markings / instructions it does not matter which way you put them?

Basically no. It is rare to get a sheet with a coating. Coatings are specialized for a particular use and the protective paper will have a note on it saying which side the coating is on. But for normal sheets which we mostly all use, no there is no actual "right" side.

Talking to Seafox the other day, he has had one of his windows leak. He fitted using Sika 295 and the primer. He etched the surface and cleaned with appropriate solvent etc. Followed all the Sika instructions to the T and they still have come away. So I thinbk it is well worth exploring the newer Adhesive/Sealants and that sticky Tape that has been suggested here, rather than the very expensive Sika product that looks like it won't last anyway. The Seafox windows are held by Adhesive/Sealant only, no screws or fastenings.

By the way, do you know it takes 2Kg of oil to make 1Kg of Acrylic sheet.

Water based Acrylic Paint is basically ground perspex in a suspension emulsion with binders.

There are 17 names trade names for the stuff....Policril, Plexiglas, Gavrieli, Vitroflex, Limacryl, R-Cast, Per-Clax, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast, Oroglass, Optix and Lucite

Thanks guys. I am going to install using the 3M 4991 VHB tape and the Dow Corning 795 sealant. Windows are recessed so they sit flush with the cabin top sides. The inner surround is 10mm thick all the way around and the recess depth about 6-7mm. Windows are about 4mm thick, so the 2mm thick 4991 tape will see the windows sit flush. The tape is 12mm wide, so I was going to cut it into 6mm strips and fit it along the inner edge of the window frame, so that is what you will see if you look closely between the frame and the window when inside the yacht. That will leave me about 4mm on between the tape and the outer edge of the window frame to put the 795 sealant. Lots of tape on the outside of the cabin and the window. Will also paint the inside of the window so you can't see the tape and sealant when installed. Hope it works!

Archived