Most non-slippery boat shoe

Need new shoes and some of the soles today are crap on boats, not to mention some of the shoes are equally crap when fronted by water.

What shoe have you found the best?

To me the best shoe is the most non slippery that lasts OK but to others I'm sure there is an element of how would they look on a catwalk.  Quite frankly I'm that sexy now I don't need further enhancement .

and I said that with straight face ...... almost ;)

Things that look like crocs made by Shimano. Got mine at Burnsco 3.5 years ago, ($50 or thereabouts) Still going strong. And you can step into the water from the dinghy with them then walk off down the street.

Only downside is your wife and daughters will laugh at you, but I am so used to that .

I don't know how they stack up on a boat, but I've found the genuine Crocs boatshoe incredible around the slippery parts of the pool! In 4 months of walking around on glossy floors wet with cleaning fluid (ie, slipperier than a butchers ...) I've never slipped while wearing them, whilst watching my colleagues skating all over the place!

There was a place in Chch called "the outlet" had them on clearance for $30 when I got mine

I use little gripper boat shoes. Lots of grip but because they are neoprene they can get a little bit stinky.

Yes I got a pair too.

More than a lil stinky --- that neoprene is bloody chronic in the smell dept.

I also prefer beer.......bear.........bare feet

As it usually means your in the tropics

BP you don't have to worry about his wife and daughters laughing at his shoes, they have plenty more than just that to laugh at.

I do have a set of those Crockie thing BP mentions and I was surprised to see how good they actually were onboard. And yes both BP and Jon are right, they do come with stick (howls of horror is probably more accurate) from the girls.

I was thinking more proper shoe like though.

index.jpg

I tend to run one set of shoes for everything, bar the odd special situation, so what I sail in I also work in and also everything else in.

I found the Harkens were good but they have stopped making them, the bastards.

Found this place but now the head is spinning with so many options. https://www.chatham.co.uk/

It's the good soles I'm after.

I tend to run one set of shoes for everything, bar the odd special situation, so what I sail in I also work in and also everything else in.

just tie these onto the outside of your existing shoes, great for grip.... boat maintenance tends to go up slightly though

14264_2000x2000.jpg

The gill shoes from burnsco are pretty good. Our deck is pretty slippery but they work well for me. They have a very similar sole to the dubarry boots.

My experience with some "razor cut" soles is not good. eg the Keens are wonderful around the rocks (good toe protection) but will slip on slippery surfaces. Bare feet have nowhere near the grip of a soft rubber compound. Do the crocs have toe protection and the ability to avoid being washed away in rapids for example? My old boat shoes which look like the picture posted above aren't too bad. There should be some "slip metric" like the IPX waterproof metric.

I reckon if you want grippy you need a shoe just for the boat.

I found the sole on the Zhik shoes and boots more grippy than the Harkens and haven't had them harden off over time, but I don't think they appropriate for extended street or workshop use as the soles are really soft. They have a neoprene-ish upper but smell is avoided by a soak in a napisan solution at the end of the day. My decks are harsh so i tend to go through the uppers before the lowers :-)

TBS (who make those multicoloured 'dock' shoes) also make (made?) a proper sailing shoe which had a sole similar to the Harkens - I know a guy who wears his on and off the boat (as did I, but see harsh decks note).

One of my crew swears by cheapies from the No1 Shoe Warehouse.

My Asics Jel cross-trainers have never let me down.  Even on the Wild! ice-skating foredeck

Good grip, non-marking sole, wear them everywhere... 

All you old fullas: 

3e1ad855fa1cefc1c87d493ea7825063.jpg

All you old fullas:

Ah, the disease of Vanity grips you too strongly youngun. Learn one day you will. :P

I found a set of new Harkens in the cupboard, the trainer style as opposed to the shoe style, so good to go for a wee while longer now.

I'll suss the TBS and Gill. The cross trainers my feet would kill in 2 months I suspect, they have all others like that.

You just "found them"????

Sheesh, I reckon - only my sister who's determinedly single can pull that sort of stunt - we joke about the chicken carcasses under her bed...

The Wa remembered they were there, she's handy like that.

When I heard Harken was getting out of them I scored the last 3 pairs they had. I've used 2 and forgot I had the third.