Dodger and canvas work

Hi

I've been dealing with Eclipse to get some covers replaced and put a dodger on the boat. He said he was busy but could I wait six weeks.

I reluctantly waited. I have been trying to get hold of him for days (mobile, txt, answerphone ) no answer. Finally got a txt tonight : "Not doing anymore work completely over it"

It would have been nice if he told me six weeks ago!

The upshot is, can anyone recommend someone to do the work. I am in westhaven. The dodger is not straight forward.

Cheers

I can understand Nick's response, this time of year is hard doing outside dodger work as we need a decent period of no rain and ideally no wind so we can get aboard and make the appropriate patterns etc. Trying to template a panel/panels that require accuracy to the mm while stopping the pattern fabric being blown out of your hands is a tad difficult. Its a different story when a customer calls and says they want a new dodger and covers for their boat that is currently being worked on in a nice dry factory somewhere.

Westhaven is also problematic for many as they require all contractors to have $5M in Ship Repairers Liability Insurance, ( not just general PL) and its costly, a lot of smaller companies just say No.  Im not too sure how I could possibly do that much damage with a tape measure and a marker pen and Ive asked this in the office and got the standard "its our policy" reply. Bullshit really.

Ok, maybe I could help with this re access to westhaven. I have the required insurance etc, and I'm on the approved contractors list. I could come down and help - hold down fabric - whatever, for an hourly rate cheaper than most. Anyone interested should contact me.

Hi Vorpal

I understand what you are saying, however in this case it's a bit different. Nick came down to the boat and measured things up. He also suggested ways of doing the dodger. He then told me I would have to wait six weeks as he was really busy. I was ok with that and said so. I am sure you can understand that I was a bit grumpy when I waited six weeks only to be told to go away.

Whinge over. I am more interested in finding someone who can do it for me. You don't sound interested either Vorpal ?

Hey, Im always interested but as you can probably understand it becomes a weather driven issue this time of year.

For example, a couple of weeks ago the plan was to visit 3 boats early in the week and get patterns etc sorted for them so stuff can be made later in week but it blows 30 knots and rains all of those days.  Following week there are another couple on the list, and weather gets in the way again.

Patience goes a long way with outside-working people during the winter months. 

And to probably stir up a sh*t storm you are probably sitting in your heated, air-conditioned office that looks down at Westhaven and thinking "it doesn't look that bad out there, why haven't they done my boat yet, oh and what about my winter discount?"

Nicks living the dream

Off to Europe to buy a 45+- ft yacht then sailing home with his young family

Have to admire the guy for that, he was probably trying to fit you in but just ran out of time and weather

I am very pleased with the job they did for us but had to book 3 months out.

Hi Vorpal

I am a surveyor sloshing around in the mud so I think your life of only getting wet rather than wet, covered in mud and constantly wary of going arse over tit is pretty easy !!!!!

If you are interested can you PM me. I am not really in a rush but would have liked it before winter, which is why nick pissed me off somewhat.