Marshall Law Ross 40, 2 handed build up.

Time will tell...........LOTS of racing to do on her against some other Cowboy and spy boats :)

On the ssanz 100 with the old keel performance was pretty similar reaching and downwind. Upwind in moderate conditions PC was quicker upwind in heavy conditions they sailed much much better than us. 

Cedar core vs glass. 

According to PHRF this new bulb will make PC and the Marshall more or less the same weight. PC has not been weighed since we have owned her but we are operating off the existing PHRF measured weight she was shown at when we bought her. Since that time we haven't made any changes that would markedly affect that either way. If anything she might be a bit heavier due mostly to a much stronger and heavier boom. I would like to weigh PC on some accurate scales some time just out of curiosity.

PC turned 30 years old on December. Despite their age they are great boats to race, cruise and own, they are quite tweaky especially upwind and have strengths and weaknesses. Of course the new keels will have improved their performance since the original designs were launched. It's amazing how many people come up and reminisce about some great times on a Ross 40!

We have enjoyed racing Marshall on a few rare occasions but also Smithy and Philstar have sailed with us a lot on PC so we compare notes a lot.

We all think Urban Cowboy is a little quicker downwind and we have had some great battles against them too. According to PHRF she has longer main luff (15.9 vs 16.5 - but that seems to be in dispute) and also has a square top.

It will be really interesting to see how the Marshall performs, the 2m prod will be very good we think, providing a more balanced broad reaching setup. The new keel bulb is much more streamlined than PC but the ML keel has 600mm less draft and also 50kg lighter.

Satellite Spy is more tricked up than all of us with a taller, carbon rig and new keel so we expect her to be a bit quicker. According to PHRF the Spy is 6150kg - 350kg heavier than PC which is odd as Spy is reputedly a lot lighter than the others - so not sure I believe all the weights are correct!

Anyway the Marshall is in the shed at Boatspray this week and Smithy is now back at work overseas for a few weeks so we do have an opportunity for some special "tuning" before delivering her back to her berth!

Anyway the Marshall is in the shed at Boatspray this week and Smithy is now back at work overseas for a few weeks so we do have an opportunity for some special "tuning" before delivering her back to her berth!

Oi! I heard that!!

I have only weighed the Marshall on travel-lifts so the weight is not accurate, and most times with full diesel and half full water. She is usually around 6000 to 6300kg. I would love to get an accurate weight. maybe we need to borrow some loadcells and put a cradle on them, then do some lifts maybe with a group discount? I know there are quite a few boatbuilders I built loadcell mounts for a few years back, generally 10t mounts, so 30t capacity which would give 5kg resolution using 3 loadcell mounts, 2 at the back of the cradle and one at the front... It would be great to get all the current 40s, maybe when the Spy comes up to Auckland??

I will make inquiries when I get back..

lawless Auckland

i owned Karnevil  the ROSS 40 a few years ago  it had the extra height in the mast with 3   swept back spreaders   a full teak  cruising interior , weighed 6000 kg  , 1.2 meter prod  and i   fitted a Steve Thompson keel with  3 meter draft this made a big difference to both up wind and down 

at the time i lived in port moresby so Karnevil has done a lot of offshore miles which included 2 Hamilton island race weeks 

i believe it is now in Sydney Karnevil  was one of the best yachts  i have owned 

• Upvote 1

Lots of interesting info, especially given I was only trying to stir a little trash talk between Smithy and Boatworks.  Should probably try that more often, 930s next perhaps.

Anyone know anything on Paddy Wagon in the states, has an ORR cert disp of 5,667kg

Lots of interesting info, especially given I was only trying to stir a little trash talk between Smithy and Boatworks.  Should probably try that more often, 930s next perhaps.

Anyone know anything on Paddy Wagon in the states, has an ORR cert disp of 5,667kg

Haha we don't need any excuse to trash talk.  Paddy Wagon was on the market a while back, I have a set of polars that I was sent over from a previous crew member - we haven't gotten around to comparing them to ours. IIRC she has an older style keel and rudder.  Once again a lot of people spoke highly of sailing on her.  Was last for sale for around $USD85k.  Photos of Paddy Wagon below:

paddy-large.jpg

5056202_20150417115713061_1_XLARGE.jpg

5056202_20150417115647589_1_XLARGE.jpg

5056202_20150417115538406_1_XLARGE.jpg

Also Jesse James is (or was) for sale, I think she is at Gulf Harbour: http://gulfgroup.co.nz/displayboat.php?list_code=9480

9480rh_img54333636ec08f-1024-678-Ross_40

Constant trash talk going on between Ross 40 owners... Looks like the Marshall is a heavy old beast compared to the other lightweights.... I would only believe all of these weights when they are on loadcells though..

lawless Auckland

i owned Karnevil  the ROSS 40 a few years ago  it had the extra height in the mast with 3   swept back spreaders   a full teak  cruising interior , weighed 6000 kg  , 1.2 meter prod  and i   fitted a Steve Thompson keel with  3 meter draft this made a big difference to both up wind and down 

at the time i lived in port moresby so Karnevil has done a lot of offshore miles which included 2 Hamilton island race weeks 

i believe it is now in Sydney Karnevil  was one of the best yachts  i have owned 

Good info, cheers! They are fun boats for sure..

So Smithy has been working his butt off since getting back from offshore. 

New instruments fitted

Vang dump switches fitted

main traveller modified and fitted

winches serviced 

Pick up the sails tomorrow and get the jib top converted to hanks.

The rig goes back in friday.

The marshall goes in for cat 2 certification on wednesday

Then WHITE ISLAND RACE friday yehaaaa!!

Looking light too on metvuw. 

14915487_1369589539726572_4966564527236205896_n.jpg

14915487_1369589796393213_3196691116580606048_n.jpg

15078875_1369589416393251_1007507620286228543_n.jpg

15095590_1369590629726463_1576216100953419743_n.jpg

15078607_1369590439726482_3381580575939646239_n.jpg

All this Ross 40 trash talk makes me want to go and buy the old JJ and give her a big birthday. Mind you, whilst I could possibly afford the work required on JJ, I couldn't scratch the surface on what would be required for the old crew...

Look forward to the RNI, what are they using for trackers? YB?

All this Ross 40 trash talk makes me want to go and buy the old JJ and give her a big birthday. Mind you, whilst I could possibly afford the work required on JJ, I couldn't scratch the surface on what would be required for the old crew...

Look forward to the RNI, what are they using for trackers? YB?

Yes YB trackers all the way, just finalising the deal now, 10min pings updated every 30min

Pretty big effort by Smithy and Phil over the weekend saw The Marshall become a full yacht again. Few more jobs to do and a couple of sail modifications and we hit the start line on Friday for Round White island. 

Thanks to Smithy for the massive effort last week.

White island race report coming next.  

15036684_1371300229555503_6136010793920798866_n.jpg

15095640_1373544309331095_45110169563082477_n.jpg

Cleared another 15 or so items off the "to do" list, and cleared the inside of tools and junk. First time the cabin has been clear in about 4 months! Almost there! Cat 2 inspection tomorrow and a few more new ropes and wires..

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG