Continuous or linked rigging?

So what are people's preferences? Pros and cons?

I'm not really aware of what all the pros and cons are, but if given the option, on an otherwise identical rig, what would you take?

Fractional double swept spreader with babystay, 50/50 racing cruising.... btw.

Linked rigging gives more control - like fixing the exact point of spreader contact. However, the more complex something is, the more chance of a failure I would think. Way more connections on a linked rig....

Linked rigging is harder to set up correctly as it is more adjustable, and it cannot all be done from on deck.

As a cruiser, that is self maintained, I prefer continuous.

Detailed correctly all connections should be stronger than the linear material. Eg. Ronstan's swage fittings are designed to fail at 1.25 times the MBL of the 1x19 cable strand - assuming they are factory swaged of course!

The aramid fibre cables from parafil I used on a sculpture many years ago had the same criteria. I didn't believe them and tested the crap out of them. Had my rigger do a deliberately 'good termination', 'bad termination', and a bunch of random terminations - always failed in the fibre - not at the termination. I was very impressed at the time. Still can't get another client to stump up for the cost difference since though!

I'm quite sure reputable rope technicians such as grant will achieve similar results!

And so it comes down to detailing!

Great until it gets wet-   like going for a swim not spray from travelling fast into the wave in front you

Carbon rigging does not like salt water immersion for any sustained period then you can throw it away.

My vote would be continuous, using dyform wire (roughly 30% stronger than identical diameter 1 X 19 ) and Norseman fittings with dyform cones.

The Norseman fittings cost but save you heaps longer term because  after that your rigging costs are simply new wire and new cones each end.

Plus if you have a spare length of wire as long as the longest on board you can replace any length yourself  at sea if  required and not have to find a cruising destination with a swaging machine.

• Upvote 1

Damn did not know of that development, another case of a big company absorbing any competition and stuffing a good product to sell only what they offer, sadly seems to be to the modus of a lot these days.