Sailor Lost Overboard

Sailor Lost Overboard

Jun 13 2016 05:24 PM | island time in Articles

Search for sailor lost overboard 550km north of NZ 13 June 2016) A search is underway for a sailor lost overboard from a yacht 550km (300 nautical miles) north of New Zealand.
The Rescue Coordination Centre NZ was advised at 11.20am today (Monday, 13 June) that one male had been killed and another man, in his 60s, knocked overboard from the 20m yacht, Platinowhich had suffered serious rigging damage in winds of up to 75km/h (40knots).

Three other people are on board the yacht, which is in contact via satellite phone.

RCCNZ Search and Rescue mission coordinator Keith Allen said an RNZAF P3 Orion that was already operating in the area was on the scene within 90 minutes of the incident, and a commercial fishing vessel is heading to the area.

A second RNZAF Orion has since replaced the first aircraft and will continue searching until nightfall. If required, searching will continue at first light tomorrow. The search area is out of range of all but fixed wing aircraft.

“Sea conditions are extremely dangerous and the remaining crew on board the Platino have advised that it is too hazardous to be on deck. With limited ability to manoeuvre safely, the yacht is motoring to New Zealand, but this could take at least two days. The fishing boat is expecting to be at the scene by around 7pm but it will not be possible to search in darkness.”

ENDS

:-( Bad news indeed. Best of luck to them...

Boat Name: Platino

Sail Number: 9397

Yacht Club: Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron

Skipper: Tory McKeogh

Navigator: TBC

Crew: TBC

http://sailfiji.co.nz/platino/

The dead man is still on board the yacht.

The rescue centre said an Air Force Orion had been searching for the man lost overboard since about 1pm, and would resume the search at first light tomorrow.

He was not wearing a lifejacket, it said.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/306291/search-for-man-lost-at-sea-between-nz-and-fiji

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11655764

Locator%20mapJPG.jpg

The Platino had been entered to compete in the ANZ Sail Fiji yacht race, however the boat was not ready by the time the race started.

Race director Sally Garrett told the Herald the Platino's crew pulled out a week before the race began, but there was nothing to suggest the boat wasn't seaworthy.

"Projects often takes longer than you think.

"They had a refit at Gulf Harbour and weren't ready to leave when we wanted to leave."

Because they had pulled out so early the crew details for the Platino were never completed, Ms Garrett said, so she did not know who might have been on board when the boat got into trouble.

edit

"Strong winds and heavy swells had hit the yacht and smashed its boom. 

I guess a good question here is what went so wrong on the vessel that someone was killed and another thrown overboard? Its absolutely horrible thinking of the person overboard, and the people remaining on board having not been able to rescue him must be absolutely devastated to understate it significantly.

My heart goes out to all involved.

But, 40 knots ( assuming that is correctly reported ) is not something I would see as having a major impact such as that without other influences if a sensible sail configuration was being used.  They were not racing at the time, if I read correctly?

What are peoples thoughts, and I guess, without knowing the details, its very hard to say, but what would have been a safer option? No one ever wants to see someone lost at sea. It is one of my worst fears when sailing. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure I'd jump to conclusions.

I expect a series of issues likely lead to this incident. Perhaps some sort of rig failure, leading to crew on deck in a hurry, no harnesses etc etc..

I find the decision to motor into the SE back to NZ to be a bit odd, but I also understand that the remaining crew will wish to be home. Wont be comfortable motoring into 40 Knots, most boats could not do it.

It will be interesting to see what really happened. My condolences to all involved.

All we can say is something bad enough to kill one and knock another overboard has happened. Now's not the time really for speculation. Very sad for all invovled

Very sad news. The owner Harry is a very experienced sailor and great guy. One of Simon hulls old crew on M1. I believe that Ross McKee was also on board, again he is very experienced.

Tragic.

Name has been release, Nick Saull director of Brin Wilson Boat Builders. Stuff is reporting he was struck by falling rigging in 4m seas. The missing mans name is not yet released and he's still missing

Peter McKeogh told Radio NZ: "Everybody is pretty worried about them. We can't do a lot until they get a bit of help to get the rigging cut adrift."

He said the mast was down and dragging in the water, pounding the hull badly.

"If that doesn't cause any damage, they should be all right. But should it punch a hole in the boat, they'll probably have to abandon ship."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11655764

thanks for the update on YachtYakka + Steve, hadn't seen them about, too early 

I'm gutted to hear one of the casualties is Nick Saull.

He was a top-drawer guy. He did a ton of work for me on AC over the years and was 100% reliable & trustworthy and a pleasure to have aboard helping with a range of things from fitting winches to building new watertanks. He was the best boatbuilder by far.

He will be sorely missed by a lot of people.

Rob