Batteries

Hmmm, seems more of a comment about correct waste disposal than battery design.  I don't have any personal knowledge about the relevant standards of their waste disposal regime but I would suspect.... rather sh*t?

all here for those really interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5W19Spmw8Q

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-return-exchange-faq/

but basically

some samsung galaxy note 7 owners had their lithium batteries go into thermal runaway + burn in a cloud of toxic smoke

samsung first blamed a bad batch of batteries

tried to recall + replaced them

but then other batches started burning

so new batteries were produced 

but some of them also randomly burned in people's pockets and bag, so now the design has been blamed

all G7 phones have a worldwide recall and owners are sent a fire-proof bag to put into a fireproof box to be put into a normal box and returned  to samsung

Galaxy-Note-7-return-packaging.jpg

i'm guessing this recent factory fire is where these boxes were unpacked and the phones stacked up for disassembly and recycling

and while waiting for that

1 of the batteries burned and set off the others

just showing how misunderstood lithium batteries are 

and this isn't limited to samsung and phone batteries

iphone battery - "don't pry the battery but pull the plastic tab on the battery"

https://youtu.be/JFt3WoPyloU?t=34

new tesla lithium car batteries are still burning

and even virtually cost-no-object 787 dreamliner batteries have done their best to torch the plane

ntsb_787_battery_medium.jpg

it may only be a small percentage but until they know what's happening rather than making educated guesses

lithium house batteries won't be going into my boat 

The batteries sold for house banks use different technology to the lithium batteries that Tesla and cell phone manufacturers use. Lifepo4 is a lot safer than lithium ion and a lot more forgiving to abuse.

http://www.epectec.com/batteries/lithium-battery-technologies.html

I know of a boat that had it's lead acid batteries catch fire after running them too dry so they are not immune either.

The LiPo's used by the likes of Solar Companies are a completely different Beast to that kind of Li batteries used to Cell Phones KM. Not that there hasn't been problems in the earlier days, but it is uncommon for the newer ones to cause a problem.

Well the first video I posted was a LifePo4 which is what most boat/marine/RV packs will be of, Either DIY or purpose built like Victron but they just smoke out, Internal heat gets up near 200c but external there is no fire or ignition. Dead shorts are the same as well. In my experience the biggest danger from a bank of LiFePo4's being punctured or dead short is the gas expansion. These banks are often in tight spaces and little thought is given to where the gas from the PRV will go so you can/do see panels blown out/doors blasted off their hinges

FLA's do much the same but rather than smoke spray acid out and create hydrogen gas, Not as fun to watch but really batteries are box's of angry pixies wanting to escape - They are all dangerous in accidents

I've just redone aviation law and 95% of the words used in that are acronyms so I'm quite surprised

Great, please translate whatever the heck it is my Wife speaks please. Most of the time I just stare blankly and wonder why the heck I bother asking how her day was :roll:

Re the Batteries, i am trying to think of why anyone would be Puncturing, at least unintentionally, a bank of LiPo's. :wtf:

Ok so seems I've kicked a nest here, My bad.

Who here knows about the Samsung Note 7 fires? For those of you that don't it was a new cellphone that got released Aug 2015 and started to catch on fire while charging, It took a long while to figure out but in the end it was battery defect in manafacturing

705.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

Here we can clearly see what the issue is, A mechanical issue lead to an electrical one and in the case of cellphone batteries you have a problem known as thermal run away where the hotspot around an internal/external fault which cause a chemical reaction in the surrounding area producing heat which in turn creates a chemical reaction in an even bigger area etc etc - This almost always ends up in a fire outside the battery

It's worth noting at this point aswell that pretty much all failure modes of Lithium batteries are "Dead Shorts", The above Samsung Note 7 problem is a dead short, a puncture through the battery is a dead short in that the puncture breaks down the barrier between the cathode and anode allowing for high current, Because this breakdown isn't clean it's high resistance and resistance generates heat:

o.jpg

The puncture causes a "dead short" the dead short creates heat internally and burn's off the material around it. In a consumer lithium polymer battery this causes a fire because of thermal runaway, In lifepo4 this causes smoke/gas generation but no fire.

As for why you would puncture your battery? You wouldn't but mechanical damage/defects create the same outcome - External damage from denting it/deforming the exterior case can create the same issue as hitting it with a nailgun, You break down the barrier between the "plates" and out come the angry pixies

Here's a really good video showing an external dead short on a lifepo4 battery pack:

It shows off nicely the PRV or pressure relief valve - The gas shooting up from the top comes from an engineered weak link that's meant to fail first, Then the battery case fails entirely due to the expansion of the battery material. At the end they just dead short a single cell and end up melting a bolt and not much else

This video also shows a drop in 12v battery replacement with lithium pack + BMS

As too_tall said, Any battery is dangerious - it's storing a large amount of energy, Lead Acid feels safe because we're used to it

Congrats KN on passing Av Law, Are/Have you going to redo CPL Met? Is it still a prick of a test?

Nice, CPL is worth it if you can get past the BS chaff crap in the exams, Human factors is awesome in CPL but crap in PPL, Flight is kinda meh in both but i've heard many, many times CPL Met is the hardest in the world