Liability

Well it's all done. The boat was lifted, after a lot of rigmarole and having to let the forestay and babystay go. they positioned the lift and then asked me, you happy with the position of the strops? I thought, nup not going to answer that one and have an argument like, well he told us where to position the strops, if something goes wrong. I replied, don't ask me, you are the experts. They said, well we haven't seen under the boat before, only you have. Thinking that there were several other Boats like mine around, surely they have lifted one before. So my answer was, well you have the rare strop halfway down the boat. So when you lift, you are going to have all 22tonne on just the one strop. If you are happy with that on a 30tonne straddle, then OK. So down went the boat again and I said lets remove the forestays so you can get further back.

There was still little baby worms on the Hull. The report back from the lab was that the larger ones were juvanile and not yet breeding. So they are happy they have it all captured.
Wow, this stuff is really bad news. The pest control guy is really keen to discuss on here about this pest and several of the others too. They are concerned that the information about this pest is not really getting out there and I said I have to agree. We as boaties get all the news of how we can't do this or go there or clean that and so on, but no real info of just why. So i am going to PM IT about the discussion I had with him and hopefully we will see something of him on here.
I got a real education today.
One of the scary things is that when the FanWorm is mature, the things know when the Hull they are stuck to is being lifted and they all slid out of their tubes and swim off.
When they spawn, the little critters in the water last about 6 to 7 days unless they find something to cling onto.
They recently had a Boat that came in on a Ship from the US. The boats antifoul can't have been up to scratch. It was lowered into the water and was in Westhaven for a few days being provisioned etc and then made it's way down the coast to Marlborough. When it got down here, they lifted it out of the water and the thing was covered in the Worm. All were rather shocked.
So the story is, the Fan worm has not made it's way down to Marlborough and they are really keen to keep it that way. There is a lot of information that says it is here, but that info is false. Apparently it is likely due to confusion with the scientific names of the Worm and the Sea Squirts etc. Marlborough now has two species of Sea squirt and it is now beyond control.
So all in all, it was an interesting day.

Personally I don't have a problem signing this type of clause, since my understanding is that my own insurance policy would cover if they damaged the boat. The way I see it, there are some very expensive boats out there, and if the yard dropped one and had to pay, haul-out rates for everyone would go up higher than they already are. I would rather absorb this risk thru my own insurance than pay higher rates to cover risk of damage to someone else's flash yacht.

Need to be wary that if you do something that lets someone out of a liability for damage then your insurance may be voided. Which is why you should never admit fault at a traffic accident.

So did they go you for any extra charges or just the lift, wash n drop?

The Hull was fairly clean, so no they did  not charge extra. And the guy that I had to deal with in that regard turned out to be a good friend I hadn't seen in years. So he was a leaning a lot on my side. There was no Mussel build up at all, but in saying that, they remove 60Kg of fouling with the Divers back a month ago. The prop was very dirty with Mussel's and a worm was among that on the prop. So just thinking about that right now, what if more worm was spun off with the other rubbish??

Remember that poor mans Prop Speed I made. Well interestingly, the PA10 was still just a tad noticeable all over the prop. In places, I could just feel a slight trace of silicon and that obviously was where the fouling had let go from the prop. So 18months later and there was a tad of residue left which I thought was interesting. I had figured it would have not had the holding power to have stayed on at all and would never have worked. But I think the prop probably had a significant amount on it back in Jan, which was 12months after we had applied it and possibly gave us a fairly clean prop for our trip down the East Coast back then.

Now that there are DIY versions of PropSpeed available to the Public, I am not sure if it is worth playing any further with the idea. It's probably easier and a better result to apply the proper stuff.

Need to be wary that if you do something that lets someone out of a liability for damage then your insurance may be voided. Which is why you should never admit fault at a traffic accident.

I confirmed that my marine policy would still give me boat yard/haul out coverage even if I signed a liability waiver. The reasoning is that one can't contract out negligence, so the liability waiver only provides the yard with limited protection, and the insurance company would still be able to seek recovery.