With a data connection, yes. Without, I believe you have to jump through a few hoops and effectively use their charts through open CPN or similar. Just be aware of the quality of their charts. Would have run us onto more than a few reefs and rocks over the years. Even directly into an island.

I think it is easy enough to get it on a ipad  through apples iTunes?I,m thinking of getting one to have a seperate device and system to open cpn on the windows laptop, plus the ipad has gps inbuilt and can be fairly portable in a waterproof case and several hours battery life so handy in the cockpit even tho it may be hard to see in direct sun. Have been playing with open cpn and not getting great detail around Fiji but not too sure how to find the right charts to put in the active chart file, and even the c max charts that are available for a dedicated plotter   seem to have a aus/nz package but it does not cover Fiji.

I think it is easy enough to get it on a ipad  through apples iTunes?I,m thinking of getting one to have a seperate device and system to open cpn on the windows laptop, plus the ipad has gps inbuilt and can be fairly portable in a waterproof case and several hours battery life so handy in the cockpit even tho it may be hard to see in direct sun. Have been playing with open cpn and not getting great detail around Fiji but not too sure how to find the right charts to put in the active chart file, and even the c max charts that are available for a dedicated plotter   seem to have a aus/nz package but it does not cover Fiji.

Navionics around Fiji are horribly inaccurate and will result in tears if your not on your guard. Get the SV soggy paws google earth photographic charts which will open in openCPN .They show reefs very clearly. No data needed. They are freely downloadable, just send them to your charts folder then update the chart locations in openCPN and you will be sweet. I gave them to maybe 15 different cruisers in Fiji last year as everyone was struggling somewhat for charts.

http://svsoggypaws.com/GECharts/index.htm

Work great in open CPN. cmap charts appear to be better than Navionics. We had navionics gold in our plotter and rapidly turfed it for cmap maps... Still nothing special, Vuda point marina was not charted on either! Of course, nothing beats someone up on the bow or even better in the spreaders with a keen eye.

Pretty easy if your using opencpn. Save the charts to a directory. Record the name of that directory. Start open cpn, click the spanner/wrench icon, click charts. Click add directory snd point it at the directory you saved the charts too. That's it. Charts are now available. But you may wNt to create a chart group for them, so they are easy to select. Click chart groups, create a new one, maybe call it soggy paws or whatever, the add those charts to the group. You can then select that group by right clicking on the chart bat at the bottom of your screen.

Let me know if you have problems, I can make a video of how it works if needed.

Oh, and Navionics on a laptop. Yes, you can. Several different ways, all involve $. You cab buy Navionics charts in S63 format, (Google chart world) then use opencpn and its S63 plugin. Or you can use Navionocs boating app, or fugawi.

Or the CM93 charts you have BP. They are quite usable, but not great. In conjunction with those above, you should be fine.

I have the soggy paws things, didn't realize they were accurate enough to naviguess with. With the google overlay on open cpn you have to move it around???

Can't get anything navionics on to my laptop except the free web version which will be no use. I put it on my phone and downloaded the fiji charts no worries.

I'll try chart world? 

BP, the accuracy of the Navionics in Fiji is bad. not as good as what you already have. I would not waste my $ buying the Navionics stuff for this region. You cannot use what you have on a PC - the format of the PC charts is different, or you must buy their software.

The soggypaws charts are charts - you cant move them around - the thing you can move around is the Google Earth plugin view window. Although these charts came from that, they are standard charts now - referenced and located by their geodata. I suggest that you make a dir for the soggypaws charts, extract them all into that. Add that directory to the OCPN charts, then create a group called soggpaws (or whatever). Add the listed dir for those charts to that group. Now go to the map view. Move the window to Fiji. Right click an area on the chart, select chart groups, and soggypaws. Now all those charts, and only those charts, are visible in your nav window.

Please read soggypaws disclaimer, and as usual, never trust one source of data while navigating!

• Upvote 1

The soggy paws "charts" were great for us in Fiji. We didn't find anything which you would not have expected. They are literally just google earth images georeferenced. But an overhead view is pretty good for spotting areas you wish to keep your hull and keel away from!. 

As I said, nothing beats having eyes up front and a good set of lungs to yell!.

Just quickly I used mariner on my phone all the way to Fiji. Just so easy. Turned the other stuff on but barely looked at it. Around fiji mostly using navionics on the phone and the soggy paws charts below. No issues. Never expect real accuracy and use your eyeballs