whats the max outboard engine you could put on a little yacht.

Guest shane

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure a 30hp outboard on a 22? Foot boat would be useless. Have seen a 15hp on a piedy before but that would be about the max. Shane maybe a 10hp or 15hp would be ok if the bracket was up to it but ur boat has a maximum achievable speed no matter how powerful a outboard you put on it, once you reach that speed anymore power will Cause cavitation and you will just be wasting fuel. Go for reliability not power!!!

Had an 8hp XL(25" shaft) Tohatsu on my Harmonic 24 years back and it was about the perfect size outboard for the boat IMO. Varients have pointy sterns that encourage pitching and prop ventilation. Get the longest shaft 8- 10hp 2 stroke you can find. Your alternative is to build a well in the cockpit like a SS 24 or a noelex (have a look) which will bring the motor forward and allow a standard shaft.

Agree with GregW. Tenob bracket way to go. Double spring it for a 4stroke 9.9. Had a 15hp 2 stroke on an S&S 24 way overkill could do 9knots easy and just about wakeboard on the wake! Had a 6hp 4stoke on the Tracker, just enough but no go against 30-40 knot headwinds whereas the old 9.9 4 stroke yamy chewed it up until it decided to have reluability problems????. My humble opinion 6hp for a variant with a xl shaft.

Agree with GregW. Tenob bracket way to go. Double spring it for a 4stroke 9.9. Had a 15hp 2 stroke on an S&S 24 way overkill could do 9knots easy and just about wakeboard on the wake! Had a 6hp 4stoke on the Tracker, just enough but no go against 30-40 knot headwinds whereas the old 9.9 4 stroke yamy chewed it up until it decided to have reluability problems. My humble opinion 6hp for a variant with a xl shaft.

I thought those S&S 24's would have sailed well in a 30+ knot headwind well reefed down? Not spectacularly fast, but solid and dependable?  I know of one that sailed from here to the Caribbean via Australia , South Africa so there must be a bit about them as solid little pocket cruisers.

I am currently selling my inboard on my new-to-me 26 foot pocket-cruiser, and am looking at a 6hp four stroke extra long shaft as a replacement - mainly because they weigh a good 15kg less than the 9.9's.  I've owned a 6hp before on my previous boat, but might indulge in remote control this time.  The new versions of the Tohatsu 6hp have front facing gear shift, and you can even get a part to change to vertical pull start as opposed to horizontal, which probably is bio-mechanically an advantage considering most keel boats cockpit and stern rail arrangements.

I was considering going green with electric, but cost, range, recharging, and the hidden "anti-green" costs of making the electric components mean it was all a bit fanciful in the end.