safety gear

2nite proves that the amount of safety gear on the 8.5's are up 2 scratch how ever 2 missing lifejackets on a 45 foot multi aren't enough does that lower there handicap

lifejackets, harnesses, horseshoe ring

I gota say, good for Squadron actually checking boats. I know lots of boats dont carry half the gear they should. One or even no anchor etc... means the rest of us who do, carry a weight penalty.

There sure isnt much in Cat 4 which you might not need some time.

I gota say, good for Squadron actually checking boats. I know lots of boats dont carry half the gear they should. One or even no anchor etc... means the rest of us who do, carry a weight penalty.

There sure isnt much in Cat 4 which you might not need some time.

If you didn't have an item they also asked to see Flares.

Really pleased to see this happening,

We passed with no problems.

Like Simon the one I'd like them to check is anchors.

Because on a little, light weight multi, not carrying an anchor is a big advantage.

Remember the thread where I was helping AA as OOD. A competitior requested we asked to see another competitor's anchor. We did and the result wasn't pretty. Said competitor is no longer a member or our club.

Not carrying the right gear is cheating.

Not carrying the right gear is cheating.

What Squid said. Enforcement/random inspections like this are a great step in making it fairer and more enjoyable for everyone (in the absence of universal honesty).

Said competitor is no longer a member or our club.

You have to wonder if that is a sign of being unable to face the rest of the members after what went down, or an unwillingness to play by the rules.

Harnesses? Are we supposed to carry harnesses too?

Wow - have the 2 anchors, the lifejackets, the horseshoe ring, the flares, the gps, the vhf radio . . . no harnesses tho.

Our wee tri did not have room for all the gear - there was just nowhere to put everything. lol. Went to Lake Tarawera once, with 4 POB, and all the gear (one teenage girl = lots of gear), camping gear, water, food etc for a long weekend. The poor tri would not sail, just pointed into the wind and sat. We had to start up the motor to get her going. Once the wind picked up it wasn't a problem. Figured we had just put too much weight in her. :lol:

Never camped off her again. Only over nighters for 2 of us, or day sails. Disappointing really. Hence the change to a boat we can camp on for days on end . . .

Anyone seen this boat? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 017154.htm

Ms

For 50% of crew members under Cat 4 (assuming it's the same for multis as for leadswingers).

I have a pdf of the regs which was downloaded off a link someone posted here - probably the YNZ site - and you could work through 'em all to check you are covered. Alternatively PM me your email address and I will flick it through.

Edit: Here ya go, the link is in one of the final paragraphs on this page of the YNZ site so you willneed to scroll down a fair way:

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/CMSContent ... a4fbd5981e

I know lots of boats dont carry half the gear they should. One or even no anchor etc... means the rest of us who do, carry a weight penalty.

Knot a penalty, I 100% concur with Squid and Murky above, it means you aren't a blatant* cheat and when you win you did it honestly.

* I say blatant as everyone knows the rules with basic stuff like anchors, lifejackets and etc.

Way too much dodgy going on out there, in all fleets.

Meg, I'd say TL Systems, was sitting on an end tie at GH about a year ago looking very sad, quite a bit of rot, I hope someone has saved her. Others here will know more history.

Before we go round saying there are cheaters out there how about a bit of evidence.

In the multi fleet I have seen so many excellent examples of very good sportsmanship.

Maybe in the leaners there are a few problems, and we did have a case a while ago where one of the multis had no safety gear aboard.

As far as I know, there were no major infractions picked up on wednesday night.

We introduced a grab bag requirement that I think most people follow.

I hope the anchor problem has gone away and everyone now brings their cat 4 requirement anchor (s). (Must admit I don't know the exact rules cos I always just race fully at Cat3 level).

For 50% of crew members under Cat 4 (assuming it's the same for multis as for leadswingers).

Correct... although its worth noting that RNZYS wednesday nights are Cat 5. While this doesn't change the rules for harnesses it does mean that you only need to carry one anchor.

Wasn't directed at anyone or any fleet specifically Wolf. But there is lots of dodgy going on so any chance to raise the problem can't be bad just to remind anyone it needs too.

No major infractions means there were some minor. Big cheating or little cheating is still cheating. But very pleased to see your fleet is getting on top of things, it's more than could be said for some others. Yes I am aware some infractions are totally innocent but that still doesn't make them right.

Anyway, made my comments so carry on as you are setting a good example for everyone else.

Edit: Here ya go, the link is in one of the final paragraphs on this page of the YNZ site so you willneed to scroll down a fair way:

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/CMSContent ... a4fbd5981e

12.3 Safety Harness

At least one safety harness, with locking clips

on both ends of the lanyard, shall be carried and

readily available for use. Recommended for A,B &C - We are a trailer yacht.

Two of our lifejackets are 'harness' lifejackets. Though I can't see how they are called harnesses. There is a D ring you can attach a lanyard to - so I guess that is what they are about. So if I were to get two lanyards - this requirement would be met?

It also says that they must have the boats 'registered' name and sail number or crew members name clearly marked on them. I was hoping to keep the jackets when we move onto the next boat - and one of our jackets is a spare - in case I can talk our teenage daughter into coming sailing with us. :lol:

One question - if the boat does not have anything to attach the lanyards to - isn't it somewhat of a mute point having the lanyards? We have rope lifelines, and the odd thing on the deck we could clip to - but no running tape lines along the deck.

What do you all attach your harness lanyards to?

Ms

ps - I know some of these questions are really basic to those of you who have been sailing forever - I am still learning. :oops:

Stickyback is one solution to naming lifejackets while retaining the option to shift to another boat or person.

Your other question re attachment points is an interesting one - a lot of people here would have their boats set up to race in the higher categories where jackstays are mandatory. Stanchion bases are a lot better option to clip on to than the lifelines themselves.

It wouldn't hurt, when you have a spare moment, to trawl through the other categories because often the wording gives an indication of how some of these things get resolved, or the incidents that the regs have been designed to avoid. Not saying they are the last word or always right, just that they can give you an idea what the pitfalls are.

Stickyback is one solution to naming lifejackets while retaining the option to shift to another boat or person.

Your other question re attachment points is an interesting one - a lot of people here would have their boats set up to race in the higher categories where jackstays are mandatory. Stanchion bases are a lot better option to clip on to than the lifelines themselves.

Sticky back - awesome idea - thanks Murky!

Stanchion bases - yes - I agree - I would not want to use life lines. I only see the stanchion bases an option if you didn't have to move about the boat though.

We do try and have all safety equipment aboard, and I guess one reason why harnesses and lanyards have not raised their heads yet is that we wouldn't go out in weather that would require their use. We have been out and the weather became crap - just before New Year, and stayed put (even though the position was not ideal, we really had no option to move). We have also considered not turning up for work if the weather did not improve on another occasion. I guess as we become more familiar with the yacht and our abilities, we may push ourselves, but at this stage, 20kt gusting 30 is about our limit, and I would imagine about the limit of the boat. Have found she handles 20kt well, if the chop is not too bad, under one reef and no jib. If the chop is nasty, and we are on the nose, two reefs and the heavy jib sees her going well, as long as I sit on the rail.

Anyway - here I am talking trailer sailor lead dragger in the multi forum. Sorry guys. :oops:

It wouldn't hurt, when you have a spare moment, to trawl through the other categories because often the wording gives an indication of how some of these things get resolved, or the incidents that the regs have been designed to avoid. Not saying they are the last word or always right, just that they can give you an idea what the pitfalls are.

I just may do that - thanks :)

Archived