Had one of these swim alongside my kayak once. Just looked down and there he was, about the same length as my kayak which is just over 5 meters. Could have touched him with my paddle....gave up kayak fishing after that.

If they really wanted to eat people, they would eat a lot more of them! Mostly its surfers, mistaken identity...

Sensible to be a bit cautious of course, and don't do stupid stuff (like towing or carrying speared fish)...

possibly

some of the missing swimmers

and divers

get sharked

like that women in oz swimming at night in a croc area

if her friend hadn't been  there 

they may never have known

An international survey worked out that you have a 1 in 11.5 mill chance of  being attacked by a Shark.

You have a 75 x greater risk of being struck by Lightening.
290 x more likely to die in a Boat related accident.

132 x more likely to drown at the Beach. (maybe they have seen Piha)
33 x more likely to be bitten by a Dog.

Using data on shark catches, discards and mortality rates worldwide, the researchers estimated that approximately 100 million sharks are killed per year by humans. However, they add that this is a conservative estimate, and the true number could be as high as 273 million sharks killed annually by humans.

Shark attacks killed three people worldwide in 2014, a dramatic drop from 10 fatalities seen a year earlier, researchers found in an annual global tally released this week.

I think the sharks should be scared of us.

I can't say for sure, because I have never been bitten by a Dog nor struck by lightening. But if one or the other happens, I'll give you an update on those figures. I just hope it's not both in the same day. ;-)