Skipper/crew wanted - Auckland > Wellington

Hi all,

I have got a yacht (Beneteau Oceanis 350), currently berth in westhaven and I need to sail back to Wellington where I live.

Then I am looking for experienced crew and/or skipper to help me for this journey (probably around 5 days).

I haven't planned yet when, depending on weather conditions, but ideally one week in August or September. I know, that's not the best period :) 

Don't hesitate to flick me a message for further details, conditions, or to tell me if you are interrested and your availabilities.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben, welcome to crew.org.

Are you sure you want to do this trip then? You could have a summer holiday up here then the delivery in Summer?

You are unlikely to get the time required between depressions at that time of year. However, August is better than September often, as it approaches the spring equinox. October is normally the windiest month of the year. Coastal sailing around NZ can be pretty challenging. You REALLY want to avoid any sort of southerly off the Wairarapa coast.

Is your plan to go to Wellington or to Mana? IMO Wellington is better if you are looking to race, but Mana is better is you want to cruise - it's only a few hours from the sounds.

Cheers

Matt

Thank you Matt.

Yes, I know that it can be challenging, that's why I am looking for someone experienced in sailing around NZ.(compensation to negociate of course)

I have some years of cruising experience in Europe, and went a couple of times in the sounds but it will be my first long trip here in NZ.

My plan is to go to Wellington Chaffers, and I'd like to sail back asap. Waiting for the summer is not ideal for me.

Cheers,

Ben

If you are prepared to stop a few times, and spread the trip over weeks if required by the weather, it can be done. Consideration of which coast  to use depending on weather should also be made. Only one stopping place (New Plymouth) on the W though.

Several short legs available down the E coast, maybe Auck - Tauranga - Napier - Wellington. Straight through if you can, but willing to stop, and even go home and come back later if need be. You cant go into Castlepoint for shelter.

Remember that you are taking your boat into the 40s going to Wellington, and in winter...

This is not a trip to consider lightly at this time of year.

Yes, thanks Matt, that's what I thought for the legs down the east cost.

And of course, I am open to stop and come back later if it's too uncertain.

5 Days is a bit hopefull,Last delivery I did from Auckland to Nelson in July took a month,Strong southerlys are prevalent in winter.Getting down from Napier can be an issue.Next time I would go down west coast for sure.Can stop in New Plymouth if forecast is dodgy.

For  the last 5 to 6 days we have had very light winds around New Plymouth and now just a gentle NW developing, would have been an easy trip as long as you had a good motor, an autopilot , plenty of fuel and can keep going at 6 kts or so. Windyty seems to give fairly good forecasts.   The Wairarapa coast can get very windy in a NW. Have sent you a message.   Cheers Dave