engine oil extraction

oil change time.

I'm in the market for a gizmo to sucky out the old before I put in the new. 

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looking at something like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-CJ-125-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-/322056415392

Also, where can I get those special absorbent mats which soak up oil but not water? 

Cheers!

Winter, I have one of those suction units, but the next size up - 5 litre capacity I think. You may find that a 2.7 litre capacity is a bit small. My little 29hp boat engine holds over 4 litres of oil. You really don't need the hassle (and potential disaster) of having to empty the sucker into some other container half way through the extraction process.

That said, they are really great and easy to use, and come with different diameter hoses for different sized dipstick tubes. The 5 litre sucker is $119 from memory which is expensive but then the bigger size enables you to oil change your car as well. Helps to offset the cost.

Actually, in the back of my little yellow work truck I have a truly fantastic suction unit. 12 volt, variable speed, controllable suction, has a variety of different attachments and tubing... Unfortunately, given that its used for slurping up various bodily fluids, I don't think my boss would let me borrow it for more practical uses

Allright thanks everyone - thanks Wheels you were the winner on the green shed. I had to go two two of them before I found someone who knew what I was talking about. $11 for a ten pack. They have the oil only and the oil+water. 

Repco had nothing - neither the oil pads or the oil pump. 

ChrisC what brand is your 5L suction gizmo? 

This is proving harder to find - the tardeme ones all seem to be 10L or they are shipped from the UK.. 

Repco has nothing

yet to try supercheap or burnsco

you will pay $150+ at Burnsco, same extractor on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/engine-parts/auction-1117471499.htm

Alternatively set up a permanent sump pump using a Fynspray pump and a suitable hose (ENZED or similar) to the sump plug.

http://www.whitestarproducts.co.nz/products/pumps/sump/ws280b.html

Yanmars are bit of a pain to set one of these up, because they have used the sump plug for the dip stick, but there are ways around this. PM me if you would like further info

Oil absorbent pads -  just use disposable nappies

Sorry Winter, I put you crook. Mine is the 10 litre job that Marinheiro provides the TradeMe link to on his post. I got mine from Steve's Marine in Tauranga for $119.

Excellent device, and I wish I'd had one early on in my diesel auxiliary owning career. Would have saved me a lot of mess down through the years.

Where did you end up getting your pump Winter ?

Something I've got on the to-do list and I'm sick of the stupid little hand pumps that the hose comes off and drip oil

Last three oil changes were as follows

Fiji

Panama

Spain

Those little electrical pumps are junk and NOISY!!!! There are better ones, but they are expensive and still NOISY!!!! Then there are really expensive ones and they are not so noisy. These are the proper gear pumps from Johnson and Jabsco etc.
The cheapies may get you through an oil change and then you may as well toss it with the waste oil. The internals are so bad, I am surprised the thing works at all.

Where did you end up getting your pump Winter ?

Something I've got on the to-do list and I'm sick of the stupid little hand pumps that the hose comes off and drip oil

Jon I ended up at burnsco and purcahsed one of these : http://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/shop-all/plumbing-pumps-toilets/general-purpose-pumps/oil-and-fluid-vacuum-extractor

Yes i know cheaper on tardme etc but I wanted it then and there!

Really happy with it, didn't spill a drop and very easy and effortless to use really

Have done the boat and the missus's VW with it so far :)

My Bukh has a drain pipe fitted to the where the sump plug would usually be. The Drain pipe then has a plug in it at the end of the pipe. The drain pipe runs to the top of the bilge and I place a used oil container in the bilge. Undo the plug in the drain pipe at the bilge end of it and hey presto, oil drains simply and fully into the container.