German Mainsheeting ?..

It's just a thought at this stage, but has anyone converted a main sheet system, typically in the cockpit area, to one fwd of the Dodger? Are there any pros or cons for this, apart from making a bit of extra space in the Cockpit? Is there any loss to control, tightening up the mainsail Etc? Would the cabin top need extra strengthening?

All true. Advantages include less mainsheet for faster trim. But as stated you need more final purchase. Your traveller needs to be led aft as well, and with good purchases as well.

Huge advantage in a cruiser is that you can have clears enclosing the cockpit while sailing in poor weather. :-)

Your cabin top needs to be strong enough, and may need reinforcing

by the way, what you are asking about is not "German mainsheeting" (also known as Admirals Cup 2:1), that is where there is a single block on the traveller/fixed deck point, then the double ended mainsheet is lead along each side of the boom, across to blocks generally at the shroud chain plates and then down each side deck to the cockpit.

Generally incompatible with mid boom sheeting due to lack of purchase

Guest Crew.orgy

H San Fran, what are you trying to achieve?

There are several versions of the same concept. Many now build a GRP bridge / frame over the cockpit and sheet of this. Jeanneau have played with a rope bridal to clear the cockpit. And there are some great end of boom setups that clear the cockpit and can be adjusted from either the cabin top or the cockpit.

The best system I have seen is a mainsheet that splits inside the boom then exits the boom end to attach to a toe rail fitting each side of the cockpit. At the gooseneck it then goes to the base and travels to the cockpit ( or cabin top if you want).

When moored the whole set up unclips to keep a 100% rope free cockpit

My little old Raven has mid boom sheeting with the traveller on top of the Cabin top and with a relatively small cockpit, the lack of a traveller in the cockpit is a bonus. My Mainsheet is like a "two speed" system with the Mainsheet being a continuous loop. Pull both ends of the loop and the main sheet comes in fast, pull just the one and it comes in slowly but with a lot less resistance.  Obviously only a fairly small Mainsail, but the system works great for me

Cant say I'm trying to achieve anything here, just a topic of interest. I like the idea of a lines free cockpit area and thinking my next boat will be something like that. I've got a wish list which includes the above and a few other ideas. Sounds like it's better to buy what I want outright than to chop and change.