If you own a boat and you're not a Coastguard member

I think from the above you can read into this the following

If your an older/long time keeler owner your less likely to be a member

If your possibly younger or have a fizz nasty or a trip truck your more likely

Guess it's a perception of risk thing really just like young and Remuera tractors drivers are more likely to be AA members

IMHO anyway.

I know the circumstances are very different, but I think it's worth noting BP's post here http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/13271-vikings-attack-us/, which if you go and read the background amounts to the US government mandating exactly how your safety will be taken care of regardless of whether you want it or not, how much it costs you, who it inconveniences or whether it screws up plans that you just sailed across an ocean for.

There's a lot to be said for voluntary organizations that even if imperfect are not under the thumb of government and are capable of adapting based on input from ordinary people - which is what I take it Zoe's original post is about. I don't currently have a boat in NZ, but if I did (and I may again soon) I'd be inclined to support them.

As long as I have a yacht (or even if I go to the dark side in my dottage) I'll support them. Have been a member since I went sailing in boats bigger than a laser.

Not supporting them just for me, for everyone. That's maybe not a popular stance?

And I say to those who moan about what it costs to get their help if they're not a member - 'tough'.

One of the first things I do after buying a boat is join coastguard. Have had a couple of fizz boats now own a yacht. Cheap life insurance. Never ever used their rescue system and never intend to but its there if I need it.

Going out of Whangamata always called up and when arrived home safe thanked them for there watch.

They do training and generally look out for people's safty.I see as a lot more positive than negative so they get a big tick from me.

Hi all,

Thanks for this - great to see the Crew.org.nz forum still going strong.

Thanks for the interest shown, and the comments received will be forwarded to the right people. 

As I said earlier , I've been a member since 1983 with no gaps that I can remember , that makes me an old sailboat driver. I nearly resigned after that Westhaven rescuers disease incident a few years back, 2 separate coastguard boat incidents where people's lives were put in danger by launches doing 15 knots down the fairway in order to rush off and 'save ' someone who had run out of fuel.

But that got dealt with here ,and then was sorted at a senior level.

The day I get a coastguard boat telling me to put a lifejacket on is the day I resign.

The day I get a coastguard boat telling me to put a lifejacket on is the day I resign.

This bit.

I have been a member for ever and have only had one occasion when I actually needed their help, the quickest and easiest means to talk to them was over the phone and despite me explaining very carefully where we were and what was happening they insisted I call on the VHF and do it over again. And even after that they still went to the wrong place. 

Have been a member for years had used their service a few years ago when we put a launch on the rocks off Rabbit Island at 2oclock in the morning Dirty night they had to come down from Waiheke picked us off the boat as the tide was coming in boat sunk would never not belong to them now amazing service

Over the years I've been:

1. A coastguard member

2. A coastguard volunteer

3. Rescued by coastguard

4. Rescued the coastguard (when Howick Rescue caught fire and crew abandoned ship for AC)

5. Provided on scene support to coastguard before and when they arrived at incident

And I've also experienced being rescued by RNLI in UK.

So I've got a few different perspectives.

For me the core problem is about their role definition.

A bit like ACC, concept = good, execution = mixed.

Have seen some great stuff from the NZ CG but also increasing examples of poor seamanship and officious attitudes. And egos in RIBs.

Don't know why but the RNLI always felt like a more professional service (even though most crew are volunteers and only a few skippers paid full-time). But maybe just having a few full-time professional skippers on the water was enough for a trickle down of more professional behaviour. Dealing with RNLI felt more like dealing with an extension of the Royal Navy than Dad's Army. Quiet, calm , professional, measured. You trusted them when they turned up.

In contrast I've found myself questioning the actions of Auck CG on the water on many occasions.

Don't know what the answer is but I'd be happy for CG role to be simplified to a breakdown service on the water. And for a tax-funded professional service to deal with serious situations. Like we have for most land-based emergency services and S&R.

Finally, don't see much benefit in TR service in an age when most people have mobiles and get coverage. A forgotten TR left open doesn't get followed up and gives people a false sense of security.

This bit.

I have been a member for ever and have only had one occasion when I actually needed their help, the quickest and easiest means to talk to them was over the phone and despite me explaining very carefully where we were and what was happening they insisted I call on the VHF and do it over again. And even after that they still went to the wrong place. 

Funny - When Truxton knocked the port bow off Freedom in the SSANZ race last year, I called them up on the VHF to organise a tow home. With the amount of VHF traffic from the SSANZ race, we couldn't get a clear message through and eventually I gave up and called them on the cellphone.

They were very glad to get the phone call as all they had got from our VHF conversation was that two boats had collided, one had significant damage and the situation was unknown about the other boat. They were about to unleash the full flotilla to get to the area ASAP to figure out what was going on. In reality, Truxton was mostly undamaged (went on to finish race) and we were requesting for a tow to get us home as it would have been a very long motor upwind with a lot of bailing, as we were not at risk of sinking but waves were crashing in through the damaged area.

The team who turn up were excellent, shadowed us while we motor sailed to a sheltered bay on Motatapu, then helped pack the boat up to get it ready for a tow, and then towed us home. On the tow, they threw the guidelines out the window to come up with a technique that suited the situation - 15kts, tow boat trimmed hard down to break the chop and create a big wave in the wake that Freedom sat on with her bows (or bow + remains of one) pointing into the sky. 

They were awesome! You'd be mad not to support them!

• Upvote 1
While I support them in the front line I actively campaign against their Vision (Everybody safe on the water) and political meddling.

Picture that Vision, no boat allowed to sail faster that 5 knots, start lines to be a mile wide and no one is allowed to come within 20 mtrs of another boat!  :razz: