PIC Coastal Classic 2016 - solo division, seminar for new entrants

In case you didn't get the email or spot it on Facebook, we've launched the Coastal for 2016, and one of the big changes is a new division for solo entrants. 

Entries aren't quite open, but they will be soon.In the meantime, we've also set up a free race seminar that's taking place next Thursday evening 4 August at the new Zhik store in Victoria Park. Although on one hand it seems a long way until 21 October, it's only 90 days and it's important to have plenty of time to get everything lined up.

Check it all out at www.coastalclassic.co.nz and make sure that you sign up for the newsletter. 

Zoe

PS I'm enjoying being back after a couple of years doing other things! Not quite actually on the water yet but writing about other people being on the water is close enough for now :-)

Might be keen on the solo division. Need to update some stuff to pass survey (Flares, lifebuoys etc) not sure why you need lifebuoys (except possibly to help someone off another vessel) on a solo boat!

• Upvote 1

I remember that race well. I was on higher ground (6883) and we absolutley nailed that start. Everyone forgot that the buoy was just an inner distance mark and the was well back from the line.

Jolly good Island Time! Would be great to see you on the startline.

A reminder that the free seminar is on at 7pm this Thursday at the Zhik store in Victoria Park Market. Confirmed speakers are Simon Hull, Angus Willison (Yachting NZ), and Alexis Reeves (RigPro)

It's a great chance to get questions answered and top tips from the experts - whether you are a first timer or not.

Please do encourage anyone 'thinking' about having a go this year to be there as these guys have a lot of great advice to share. 

Looks like the year is 2008.  

I see Ragtime (the Spencer) in there. Also Sunstone.

Playbuoy got a finish time on Racetrack. But I am not sure how accurate these results are. http://www.racetrack.org.nz/race.php?raceid=19187

Only 83 finishers. A hard year according to the CC history page: http://www.coastalclassic.co.nz/#!history/ge2un

I went tot he meeting last night. All pretty elementary stuff, which is all good for beginners. I did have a bit of an issue with the safety talk, re led flares - see my other post about that on the YNZ forum here if you're interested http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/13317-led-flares/ 

Organizers expect approx 180 boats this year, which will be good.

There will be another briefing just before the event, specifically on navigation, tactics and weather expected - about a week out I'm told...

I'll probably go to that as well.

Great to see you there Matt, and thanks for all of your input during the session. 

It looks like we can expect a few new boats on the startline, and there is some very promising interest in the single handed division. A trophy has also been donated for this division, which I'll highlight soon.