H28 boats looking at buying one

Guest shane

There are two common versions shane. The older timber built ones and the slightly more modern fibreglass build. A very good little Boat, but long in the tooth (old) now. They tend to average around the $20K to $35K mark to buy depending on material and condition. The engines used to be very old single cylinder 10Hp Buhks, but because of the age of the Boats, many of them have been upgraded with more modern little Yanmars etc. Beware of the older Buhks, only in that the engine is old and may have a lot of hrs clocked up and in need of replacement.

I have an H28 and I really like her.

Whilst they're not the fastest thing around they are very comfortable underway and certainly give a sense of security when the weather turns to poo. They don't like going to windward too much but then neither do I so that's OK.

As Wheels said, they're all old ladies now and will present depending on how they have been maintained through their long life. Mine is in excellent condition for a glass boat built in 1976, but then what I have spent on her would make your eyes water. Unfortunately this is a fact of life with older vessels if you wish to keep them looking smart.

If you feel for an H28 then, apart from the Bukh engines they originally came with, be aware that they are prone to osmosis and look carefully at all cabin top and foredeck penetrations. These areas are baslsa cored and subject to water ingress if not done properly - both can be expensive to repair. Another point to check is around the main bulkhead for structural deformation resulting from mast compression. I have seen a few issues here on a few H28s.

So "Shane" have you sold the variant?found employment? yep the h28 very for giving boat 20knt + we have one that races in the club and in a blow we have to engage in close tacking duels to get ahead,otherwise in a chop straight lining will do my cav26. in the light no contest. roomy comfortable yachts,would make a great liveaboard for you.

Guest shane

Hi yep sold that boat. Got a new one in Auckland. And am interested in getting some work for a couple off months. I really need money and what two learn need things.