Interior space does not always equal comfort. here's an example...

I am 6'2" and spent several week-long sailing/camping trips in my Noelex 22, and friends of ours had a sabre 20.

We were often invited onto the Sabre as the friends thought it would be more comfortable, what with the bigger volume and all. Unfortunately, sitting on the nice comfy seats meant the wide side-deck/cabin corner was at neck height, so I couldn't relax. I had to sit bolt upright, and could not lean back at all. In the Noelex I could lounge on the seats, with my back against the wall, as the side-decks were only an inch or so.

If there was any upwind sailing, we would arrive first as well. On the rare occasion where the flotilla got caught out, it was reassuring to know that the boat could handle it with ease. One feature with the Noelex is the outboard is inboard, through a well in the floor. This means it doesn't lift out of the water in big waves.

The Young WB boats are tender in a breeze, especially when pushed. Several of them had the original centreboards replaced with ballasted ones, which transformed their performance in a blow. If the board is controlled by a handle through the floor, it's the original plate, if it has been changed there will likely be a pulley arrangement. that's the 6 and 6.7 models, I'm not sure of the other sizes.

The Bonito Aquarius 22 handles well and seem to carry their sail well, although the pinched in stern can lead to bad rolling downwind in a blow. They do look good tho! From memory, the outboard goes through the floor on these too.

I don't know anything about the Farr boats, but they have a good name, and I've not heard any bad things about them.

Our noelex weighed in at class minimum 726kg, and about 900kg empty on trailer. I towed it with a Mitsi Cordia turbo (I think the cops would have a field day with that now!) and later a  Hilux surf.

Thanks all guys again. it is really encouraging getting all these advices. I think the bonito 22 is out of the reach then... too heavy. Seem to be left with the farr 6000 clearly.

The one on TM at $9k looks great as long as well negociated and get reassurance that trailer is in ok condition could be good!

Yes i am aiming to get one before the end of winter hopefully!

Should you hear of any others around for sale would love to hear!

Thanks again

Looks good.

the NZTYA has a horsepower requirement of 1/4 hp per foot, so 4hp on a 16foot, 5hp on a 20, etc.

So may be a little small, but then again it is a 4 stroke, so may be ok.

It's on a braked trailer as well, although that looks like the tilt version, trailers heavier than the alloy ones....

The example Pics on the Farr 6000 website are really very good. The example boat looks well nigh immaculate :-)

I don't disagree Madyotttie, in fact, I would likely choose a n22 for myself, but for racing reasons than cruising - they are faster and have OK class racing. Still think the Farr is better for cruising. Agree on the layout effecting space also, the Farr has narrow side decks, so they don't cut in on head room, and at 6'6" I found the Farr ok, can also lay flat in the fore peak, which I though was amazing for a 6m boat, it doesn't always happen on a 10m boat.

I would say 8hp would be nice for cruising a f6 in the sounds, you will (almost) always get home. 4 is a bit small. My boat has a 5hp, it weighs less than a F6, and has less windage, there have been a few occasions where with all sails below deck we have been barely making head way. Although when that's happened, it's been 'quite' windy.

The boat in Nelson sure would be a good place to start.

Cordia Turbo - nice.

unfortunately your Forester is not a great tow vehicle, towing max load will probably see your transmission fail in a relatively short time and the body will possibly stretch - these are a lightly built car. The Subaru engines do not have alot of low down torque.

Also remember tow ratings come with alot of proviso's, you often find to utilise the max tow rating the car's payload is significantly reduced eg see this link for a general explanation

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/why-a-3500kg-tow-rating-may-not-really-be-a-3500kg-tow-rating/

The reality is with the Forester loaded the real max rating should be around 1000kg

As for the suggestion of towing 2000kg with it, forget it, that is top end for Commodores and Falcons fitted with load distributing hitches, transmission coolers and possibly body side stiffening. You are then looking at 4WD's and Utes for greater capacity.

If you continue down the trailer sailor road you really should think about a vehicle upgrade, otherwise as has been suggested put the money towards a small keeler

Thank you. That is not good news then. Changing car was the last thing I was planning to do... Not sure if there are SUV with better towing capacity or simply only the 4WD path. Then I would be back on the Young 6 if I want to keep my car...???

That Young in Dunedin looks like a good boat, its winter so hard to sell a boat, make an offer conditional on inspection and get ready for cruising in summer, a light easy towed boat is like a caravan but more streamlined on the road.

It is definitely hard to find the right compromise!

I find this Young 6 really appealing but not sure of the trailer. The seller is planning to bring it up to Hanmer Spring in September as that where he lives. So I planning to inspect it then as it is not as far, hopefully still negotiable and available then.

Matt, do you think Young 6 won't really do well in the Sounds...?

Cheers,

There are two issues with the Sounds. Strong winds are one. But that can at least be watched for with forecasts. The one to really be careful off are the Gusts that come off the Hills, Gulleys and...well....anywhere. They can flatten you. You can go from lovely calm to a gust that knocks you over. And that is what tends to put wife and family off. Now in saying that, Queen Charlotte is not quite so bad for this. It is the better sound to sail in. Southerlies are the one to watch for in QC. But you are less likely going to be out sailing in a Southerly. Pelorus is the Sound to be very wary of for Gusts. They come out of the valleys like freight trains. You can go from calm to a knock over in a flash. But don't fret about it either. Once again, it is just a case of watching the weather.
I would also suggest getting the wife involved in a Sunday afternoon racing or the Thursday night thing. If she can be involved, she is ,ore likely to enjoy and be of some help. I used to struggle with this part myself, as my Wife would want to help, but I was trying to keep up with teaching myself and couldn't teach my wife at the same time and she would feel left out and helpless.

Thank you. That is not good news then. Changing car was the last thing I was planning to do... Not sure if there are SUV with better towing capacity or simply only the 4WD path. Then I would be back on the Young 6 if I want to keep my car...???

The Forester will be fine for an F6 etc. I have a Bonito 22, as someone mentioned earlier they weigh 1800kg or so on the trailer. I initially towed this with a 90's 2.5l Legacy (manual). It did alright, very stable, just lacking in power for the hills but that's no big deal. I now tow with a '07 Outback 3.0 auto (with added trans cooler -- you'll need one) and this is even better. The Outback is rated for 1800 braked, and only 90kg on the tow ball.

Make sure you keep the auto in a low gear, and don't forget the added cooler.

I had to build a new trailer for mine, which meant I ended up with tandem axle, braked etc. -- Important to have a well balanced trailer with good brakes when towing with light-ish vehicles.

I echo comments made by Wheels ree gusty sailing in the Sounds, it's a real issue. You need someone riding shotgun on the main traveller/mainsheet in those conditions. 

The Farr's form stability (wide hull aft) and cast iron centreboard make it more stable than most TY's that size. The wide hull aft means good motoring in a seaway under outboard, which for Sounds cruising with inexperienced crew is a major plus. Mine had a 8 hp two-stroke with sailing prop, an ideal blend of power & weight. Another big plus for the Farr is its pop-top & opening rear panels; combined with a cockpit tent makes the Farr fairly liveable if sitting out a spell of bad weather. 

I really like the Noelex for sailing and racing, but they aren't as stiff, nor anywhere near as roomy as a Farr. 

unfortunately your Forester is not a great tow vehicle, towing max load will probably see your transmission fail in a relatively short time and the body will possibly stretch - these are a lightly built car. The Subaru engines do not have alot of low down torque.

Also remember tow ratings come with alot of proviso's, you often find to utilise the max tow rating the car's payload is significantly reduced eg see this link for a general explanation

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/why-a-3500kg-tow-rating-may-not-really-be-a-3500kg-tow-rating/

The reality is with the Forester loaded the real max rating should be around 1000kg

As for the suggestion of towing 2000kg with it, forget it, that is top end for Commodores and Falcons fitted with load distributing hitches, transmission coolers and possibly body side stiffening. You are then looking at 4WD's and Utes for greater capacity.

If you continue down the trailer sailor road you really should think about a vehicle upgrade, otherwise as has been suggested put the money towards a small keeler

Unusual, but I don't agree with Allan's post above. The manufacturer rates the forrester @1400kg for the 2.0 Ltr with brakes, and 1800 kg for the 2.5 Ltd. They are always conservative. I'd expect the Farr 6000 to be a bit less than this on the trailer. You WILL need that trans cooler though!

I have towed my trailer yachts with lots of things, from a 2.0ltr Corona, to land cruisers and patrols. Hartley 16 to Noelex 30. Never had an issue. Just be sensible, get out of the way of other traffic where possible. Get a trailer with brakes. Fit led submersible lights. Work out the exact depth to put the trailer in for your boat /trailer combo, so the launch/retrieval is as easy as possible, work out a good mast raising/lowering system, and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't forget that trans cooler! :-)

I also meant to say that the Farr 6000 has a much higher safety factor than the young. You will, at some time, experience conditions in the sounds that will test you. The Farr 6000 is self righting, and comes up pretty dry. ( I know this - years ago we deliberately knocked one down - a friends one - to see what would happen) that is comforting to know when it's all turning to custard.

I've liked Farrs ever since, and have owned a few, incl Island Time. I'm biased now...:-)

This will probably confuse the issue, but will add my 2 cents worth.

Be mindful if you buy something that has been stored in a Yacht club compound. I would fact in as a minimum new bearings before you tow it more than about a hundred yards.

I am based in Wellington. Almost three years ago, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Yacht. Originally looking at Nolex 22's and 25's. Despite sailing on a Marauder regularly, the thought of buying a keeler never even crossed my mind until I talked to someone who suggested that with a Keeler you will get to use it far more regularly (certainly in Wellington) than you ever will a trailer sailer. You feel comfortable going out in 20 + knots that would probably see you sitting at home if you had a trailer sailer. Your range is greatly expanded to.

I have a Mondeo Diesel Wagon so a new Towing vehicle , certainly if I wanted to go any distance, was on the cards.

In the end I settled on a Raven 26, true it is around 40 years old now but is solid as a rock and you can now pick up one in a pretty good condition for under 10k now. Maintainence is not onerous, the only thing being anti foul every couple of years and maybe a life and water blast every year if you are keen. This is probably less than the cost of maintaining a trailer in road going condition let alone the extra strain on your car whatever car it is. I5t still has the original 10 HP Bukh which has been well maintained Which is basically oil and fuel filter every year, and it will push me along at around 5 knts for a little over 1 litre an hour.

I can be heading out of the marina within 10 mins of arriving and can, if careful go pretty well anywhere in it. I have been across to the sounds from Wellington three times now and can easily do so single handed.  They are not the fastest thing on the water by any stretch of the imagination but competes ok in round the can races against boats in a similar class. I have been caught out in 50 knts before and while exciting, certainly never felt at risk.

As Wheels said, the sounds can be funny wind wise and it will literally go from nothing to "holy hell" in no time.

It is amazing the extra space that just that 4 feet of length will give you and with four on board for a couple of nights that can't be underestimated.

Just food for thought

A keeler will be more expensive to own. Mooring fees and anti fouling, anodes etc at least. But yes, a boat like a Raven has a much larger safety factor than most trailer yachts. I had a Raven as well - my first keel boat. That being said, we used to take our kids across the strait from mana on a Friday night after work, if conditions were 35 knots or under, in our trailer yacht ( that one was o noelex 30 - another Farr design).

A trailer MAY need bearings etc, but that's not exensive, especially if you can diy.

Many trailers now have bearing buddies - a spring loaded dust cap on the hub that presses grease into the bearings, thereby keeping water out. These work really well, provided they have not been left so long that the grease inside has gone hard. They are easy to retrofit if a trailer does not have them.