Yes it is possible. But will need new axles, that will come with discs/ calipers. You will need brake line tubing run the length from axle to Tow hitch and you will need a hydraulic braking Tow hitch.
You are in Blenheim right? Go to Bearing and Accessories on Nelson street and ask them what you need and they will quote you. Then you just need an engineer to cut off the old axles and fit the new.
Only draw back will be cost.

Yes, I was lucky enough to able to retrofit using the existing axles so it saved a bit of coin.  It was still a reasonably expensive exercise although it did help I was able to get the parts through a mate at trade.

A few thoughts you Damien.

I have a young780 on a 2 axle non braked trailer which i tow happily with my Ford Territory from Mapua as far as havelock and waikawa on occasions.

I have towed it with my manual 2.5 litre forester to Kaiteriteri on rare occasions with no problems. 

Kaiteriteri ramp is quite flat and the only place i use my extension drawbar.

Someone said a young 780 was a bit slow in an earlier post. Not so if the boat is rigged and sailed well. I can beat a Noelex 25 in light to medium winds but their greater ballast gives them the advantage in stronger winds.

Glass over ply is a matter of care and maintenance. If you keep your boat dry it will last. Rainwater will kill it. Keep the Paint up and keep it covered.

I have had some knockdowns where i swear the mast almost hit the water, but the boat popped up just fine with just a splash of water over the cockpit coamings. When you are competent and confident in your boat this will annoy you rather than scare you.

However for novice family members it can put them off forever!!!

For this reason alone you should buy the most stable boat you can and never hesitate to drop sail and motor when it gets a bit blowy.

Get this right and you will have your family sailing with you. Get it wrong and you will be a solo sailor....

Yeap my point of getting a TS is that the family cannot be bothered sailing we could just motor around quietly or even in some cases leave the mast at home and cruise around simply. But ultimately I really want to sail but if getting the damily on the water means motoring around mainly why not?!

Would you suggest that the young could still be an option. I have been sold the farr now but have say the hassle and potwntial costs related to the trailer makes me keep the young in the back of my mind... would you consider the young as very stable?

I recently fitted brakes to my 25ft trailer yacht. I had been towing it around for 15 years with no problems and the cost and the maintenance troubles with brakes had put me off. It is 140km to where I usually sail on Manapouri and Te Anau and the trip has recently got more dangerous with the increase it the foreign self drive tourists. After a recent experience where I nearly tee boned a tourist that had not given way I bit the bullet. It cost me 3 grand but because of my old ball rims I had to replace both axials and 5 rims.

We have windy gusty conditions on the lakes which I understand is similar to the sounds. The young trailer yachts all have a large sail area for their size which makes them less suitable for inexperienced sailers in our conditions. There is a reason why Noelex trailer yachts with their easily driven hulls and smaller sail areas are popular in the south Island.

If your handy and keen on bit of work the Dahl 780 on trade me (bounty hunter) in rotavagas is a very stable good sailing boat with good amount of room my mates dad use to tow it with a 3ltr commy or a 2ltr blue bird as 13 year olds me and my mates were let loose for a summer in it very forgiving boat tested its limits and never once was worried about it not sure about weight but there's lead to take out of the floor!!!!

The young trailer yachts all have a large sail area for their size which makes them less suitable for inexperienced sailers in our conditions. There is a reason why Noelex trailer yachts with their easily driven hulls and smaller sail areas are popular in the south Island.

To answer your earlier question Damien, as a Young 780 owner, I would actually agree 100% with Theseus.

At the time i bought my 780, I couldn't stretch to a Noelex 25.

Now i could and choose not to.

I have however been sailing for many years and took care to ensure the reefing systems on my boat are well rigged and functional. As Theseus says, Youngs do have large sail areas so you need to be prepared to reef early and reef often.

If you can stretch your finances a Noelex 25 would be ideal for your needs. They also seem to be holding their value better than any other TS or Keeler i am aware of. 

If the sailing thing doesn't work out then you have a boat that is re-sellable whereas many boats including my own seem to be worth almost nothing on the market.

Good luck.

So actually the one in Nelson seems best option. It may pay to be patient I guess... meanwhile I shoukd better get on board of someone's yacht at Waikawa Yacht Club to learn the ropes.

Anybody had any thought of suggesting to do the Day Skipper course from Boating Eucation to get all the safety tips?

Day skipper course is a good start. Won't teach you anything about sailing, but the basic "rules of the road" and pilotage. Iirc it's a pre requisite for the more advanced courses anyway ( could be wrong here, it's a *^%# long time since I did mine!)

Good luck

Day skipper course is a good start. Won't teach you anything about sailing, but the basic "rules of the road" and pilotage. Iirc it's a pre requisite for the more advanced courses anyway ( could be wrong here, it's a *^%# long time since I did mine!)

Good luck

its not a pre-req for anything else.  For pretty basic knowledge it s a good course, relatively quick and easy,  Next one up is boatmaster, if you are thinking about doing the boatmaster then just do that, don't worry about Day skipper.  Day skipper is enough to keep you out of trouble in reasonably confined and not too busy waters.

a lot of insurance companies will give a discount if you have boat master, not sure about day skipper.

Yes that's right. Alloy trailer seems a plus. Apparently the rudder needs a coat paint, tidying up wiring but working, and by looking at photos the hull may need to coat paint too at some stage? $12k seems expensive especially also as the outboard is only 4hp... may jump and have a look at some stage. Ideally I would prefer to pay a little more and get one in excellent condition...