Westhaven Floating Dock

I use the floating dock how many times a year  

42 members have voted

1. 1. I use the floating dock how many times a year

• Never
    • more than 4

I think we all should thank the fact that this harbour facility ( Westhaven Marina) is owned by a local Council and not a private enterprise ie RNZYS. This public ownership gives the boating public the obvious opportunity to take both realistic and commercial concerns regarding the costs and rates of services to a entity that is democratically gettable. Look I sat with the CFO of Auckland City David Rankin over a duration of meetings hammering home the fact that the public ownership of Westhaven Marina was a financial nobrainer. ACC response from Banks and Co was why should the grand mothers of Auckland finance a rich mans playground. With that response I with many others took this issue to central Government which responded in a positive manner and in my opinion the cultural womb of NZ yachting now resides in public hands forever.

If you want to bitch and moan about your overdue Reg and Wof get a life.

I was with you until the last sentence. I don't understand why the last sentence is there. Have I missed something? Have we been bitching about our wof's and rego's on this forum? (I may have missed them if they did)

Priscilla what you otherwise say makes complete sense to me and I hope that the people of Westhaven can unite and show their teeth if need be. It will of course take organisation, determination, and a shitload of work, but if you the Westhaven dwellers don't do it, who will?

I made my ex-GF sand the bottom of Black Fun on there one saturday....on her birthday.....with a hangover......and with a 1m northerly chop running straight onto the dock. The screaching/groaning noise as it pitched against the piles for 8 hours and it poured with

rain probably contributed to the the demise of the relationship.

Or perhaps it was because it was the black anti-foul getting under her nails?

Either way it did a bloody good job of removing the fouling on BF and in my life :)

Keep it! It saved my life !!!!! :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I like your style EE. Hard but fair! :lol: :lol:

Het Atom my remark was in response to tuffyluffy bitchin about getting fined for lack of redg and wof .

OK fair nuf, I apologise - I musta missed that bit. But I think you were right on the nail with your comments regarding the other stuff. :thumbup:

Jake - I was unaware that Ken had had a stroke. Please pass on my condolences and I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Cheers

Anthony

(Agrippina)

Het Atom my remark was in response to tuffyluffy bitchin about getting fined for lack of redg and wof .

You're getting your knickers in a bunch, princess. It’s the small-minded bureaucrats that unreasonably waste ratepayers time and money that I was “bitching” about, not the issuance of the fines.

Its these public servants that are now in control of Westhaven, gawd help us.

Besty says that Ken is recovering well but struggles with the physical effort required for work on the dock, so he (Besty) will be there for a wee while I think.

Priscilla, I'm not sure what your point is other than another meaningless chapter in the "RNZYS is evil' series. And anyway the RNZYS was only one of a number of interested parties looking at the marina. The price paid for the marina by the city was well over the odds so in reality there was no competition.

As tuffy says westhaven is now in the hands of local government employees which will mean the place is likley to become a complete shambles and the prices will go up and the standard of service will decline.

Mast & spar services and the dock provide bloody good and affordable services to the smaller boat owners. The councils myopia over the super yacht services means the "little" guy is ignored, these two businesses are forced to shift & increase their costs (or close if they can't) beyond what most can afford to stay in business. While the asset is "preserved" it moves out of the reach of the average boat owner.

I think we all should thank the fact that this harbour facility ( Westhaven Marina) is owned by a local Council and not a private enterprise ie RNZYS. This public ownership gives the boating public the obvious opportunity to take both realistic and commercial concerns regarding the costs and rates of services to a entity that is democratically gettable.

I don't want to be rude and there definitely are some good reasons the have ACC owning Westhaven but the above comment does have some flaws.

1 - The ACC owned Westhaven is the shabbiest, most expensive marina in the area.... by quite a large margin. Every privately owned/run marina in the area is far superior in almost every regard.

2 - The words 'council' and 'realistic' when used in the same sentence just creates a oxymoron.

3 - Democracy is dead, well and truly.

Sharpie is itching to get back but Mrs Sharpie does seem to be able to restrain him desires at the moment. Hopefully he won't rush back and hurt himself by knot being at 100%. Besty is doing a great job in his absence so that's good.

Sorry, the spell checker didn't pick that one up.

I wasn't allowed in England class at school so many words are just guesses at the best of times :)

Sorry KM spell check wouldn't pick it up as it was a grammatical error and not a spelling error. Now here the rule: Use "a" before words starting with a consonant. Sometimes "h" is an exception to this rule. For example "an hotel". Use "an" before words starting with a vowel - a, e, i, o, u. But as previously noted, there are exceptions. For example, He delivered a eulogy. This is an irregularity of the English language which screws 90% of English speaking people. Anyway I'm sure you aren't interested in this at all, so end of rant and let's face it a spectacular thread drift!

Yeah top marks on the thread drift.

I just write how it sounds easiest to say. Like A Hotel is easier to say An Hotel. When some dipsticks in this country start saying it is acceptable to use TXT as a written language, I figure our English langauge is screwed anyway, so who the hell cares if A and An is used slightly incorrectly. :(

Sorry KM spell check wouldn't pick it up as it was a grammatical error and not a spelling error. Now here the rule: Use "a" before words starting with a consonant. Sometimes "h" is an exception to this rule. For example "an hotel". Use "an" before words starting with a vowel - a, e, i, o, u. But as previously noted, there are exceptions. For example, He delivered a eulogy. This is an irregularity of the English language which screws 90% of English speaking people. Anyway I'm sure you aren't interested in this at all, so end of rant and let's face it a spectacular thread drift!

Sadly I must admit, and I'm knot joking, I don't know exactly what consonants are, bit iffy on what are and aren't vowels but was close to what you had :)

I wonder if this will work. everytime I click a button I seem to be sent to the log in page

{edit} looks to have worked this time.

Englush is my weak point too. So don't worry too much KM.

If others haven't noticed yet, Dyslexia makes things a little difficult for me too. I try and re read everything before I post, but the odd time I forget or am too tired or it just slips through.

Don't worry too much - I was just having fun because I could! What amazes me is how much I remember from school but not why it's like it is. Rote learning at a private school where if you got it wrong they caned the sh*t out of you.

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing - Quite a few times I have to log in each time, but then sometimes as I click on the link from my email, I see the log in page briefly flash up and then it just as quickly moves to the correct page. Strange but true...

My understanding of why Hotel is an not a is because it is a French word, not English.

The Frogs don't pronounce the H (cos they can't speak proper), so the word effectively starts with a vowel. :)

Slacko I believe you are correct. Languages "borrow" from each other and in English now although it is spelled "an hotel", it is pronounced "an otel". The French of course spell it "hôtel".

But yes SJB, "I'm off to the pub" is far classier!

Archived