X Yachts

Guest Crew.orgy

http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?fromYear=2000&Ntk=boatsUK&searchtype=advancedsearch&hmid=0&sm=3&enid=0&toYear=2000&luom=127&currencyid=1002&cit=true&boatsAddedSelected=-1&ftid=0&man=X%20yachts&slim=quick&No=10

Being blue and eventually needing a paint job... $190k.

Owners love them. But what owner ewoul hate their own boat?

Good boats but the steel frame worries me.

They can rust, and repairs can be seriously expensive. Several other manufacturers use steel frames as well, including swan. Don't let it put you off, but like always, get a professional survey.

Guest Crew.orgy

Ive seen a few issues with Cal 40's after twenty yers. And heard of one X with a delamination from frame.

I just hate steel in a boat. Especially buried away in glass. It just a cheap way of spreading loads and reducing hull thickness.

I would buy it for $180k and put ten thousand away for any year twenty issues.

Guest Crew.orgy

Why does it worry you? Rust? Is that any worse than rot in a wooden boat?

Serious question as i dont know :)

yeah but you are not buying a wooden boat. You are buying GRP .. with a steel " draw back"
Guest Crew.orgy

The frame is galvanized and in very good condition.

The delam issue is due to the hull shape and is quite common this one has been repaired already.

Doh!!!...

Take it sailing upwind in a breeze and check the windward glass,/ joint and frame arer for movement or microcracking.

$170k subject to survey ....

It's done flew through survey, bought it today.  After surveying and going over a couple of 1220's settled on this one, high level of maintenance, good engine and has most Cat 1 gear except a Tri Sail.  

Any ideas how to fit a Tri Sail to a Seldon mast with Harken track and Battcar already fitting, might be a low profile track up one side....

13934737_10153652343386196_2894786961137

The Battcar system is awesome makes for an easy raise of the main.

Yeah the track should be fine will do a measure up next week and get into this.

One more question anyone know where I can buy the gear to put a kit together to put myself up the mast safety using a climbing harness?

Thanks Ratings will be in touch. This boat had a new mast in 2010 before it's trip to NZ from Europe which removed the requirement for running back stays basically a stronger rig makes the boat easier to handle.

See you all out there!

They are real good yacht

race on LAWLESS TheXp44 sport  and she has done a lot on hard miles in her 3years and still in good condition with no warranty work so that speaks highly of the structure of the X-yachts am sure yours is the same

The Battcar system is awesome makes for an easy raise of the main.

Yeah the track should be fine will do a measure up next week and get into this.

One more question anyone know where I can buy the gear to put a kit together to put myself up the mast safety using a climbing harness?

Have a geeze at this site. Sus out an ascender, auto lock descender and harness, with the associated carabiners. Make sure that they will work with your halyard size. Not sure if this is the place to get it, more just giving you an indication of whats there.

http://www.gearshop.co.nz/collections/work-rescue-ascenders-descnders/products/petzl-ascension-right-handed ascender

http://www.gearshop.co.nz/collections/work-rescue-ascenders-descnders/products/petzl-rig-self-braking-descender descender

http://www.gearshop.co.nz/collections/work-carabiners/products/singing-rock-ozone-triple-lock-carabiner singing rock gear is pretty awesome. would reccomend

http://www.gearshop.co.nz/collections/work-harnesses/products/petzl-avao-sit-harness-size-1 note that you wil need a harness designed to be sat in for long periods of time. If you get a normal harness then it will cut off circulation to your legs when doing jobs up the mast.

Climbing the mast alone can be done a couple of ways. The expensive way is to go to a climbing shop and by an ascending setup. The cheap way is to use a couple of Prussik loops. I prefer the French Prussik . Use a long loop for your legs and a shorter one for the bosuns chair attachment, then you stand in the big one, lift the chair with the little one, sit in the chair, move the big one up, repeat. This lets you climb a halyard. I find it best if the halyard is reasonably tight. Don't forget a safety line! Probably videos on YouTube search for prussiking ...

Total cost - prob free, made from lines you already have :-)

Oh, and if your rig is one of the ones where getting the trisail track around the spreaders, this can usually be sorted by cutting the attachment part of the track off for a short distance, and bending the tubular part of the track around the obstacle. Just make sure that this bit does not have to support a sail slug when the trisail is set! I can send you a pic if needed.