Paint Stripper (house not boat)

I have some wooden framed windows I am painting, and the trim on many is too fiddly to scrape or sand easily. The paint is thick and needs to come off in most cases.

Any reccomendations for paint stripper? I have not used it before, wondering if it works as they say...?

Paint strippers are mainly just Sodium Hydroxide in a gel so as t stays on think and where you put it. There are a few that have unique or exotic make ups and some claim they are natural or environmental and so on, but mostly they are just a strong Alkaline. So you can do the exact same thing cheaper by purchasing Sodium Hydroxide (drain cleaner) and mixing into water and then brushing it on. I have always found that paint strippers will take the immediate layer off and you then need to apply again to get the next layer and so on. So if you have heaps of layers, it could take awhile.
Heat guns will take multi layers at once, but you need to be careful not to burn the wood.

Ken - If you want to do it "right" then take the glazing out and use heat with a variety of scraping tool shapes to get into all the corners. Then oil based primer as soon as you can after (make yourself some temp doors out of construction ply)

Do you really need to go back to bare wood?more inclined to use sugar soap with a poly pad, sand then wash.I would not try a heat gun near glazing nor use paint stripper.

If are going to go to the trouble of taking glass out might as well take doors to a painter who has a acid bath.

Do acid baths still exist - would love to know where in the Panmure area! The thing with old joinery like Clipper's is that it'll have all sorts of weird layers. I've done exactly what you prescribed and then stripped the same bloody joinery 5 years later because it's flaked off at some layer further down. I'm gonna guess and say they're in this house for the long haul and so either chuck the joinery out and start again or spend the time to strip back to wood. If you cost your labour then the former is cheaper!

It's bare wood or replace. we will be here till the family out grows the house, and I like to know the work I have done is done properly. Well, good enough. Not enough to remove glass and acid dip!

Am wondering if a custom shaped scraper will speed things up.

Clipper. WAAAaaaay over thinking this. They are in great shape. Not too many coats at all. I thought you had like 13 coats of old flaking paint. Simply wash them and paint. A good pressure wash with detergent/sugar soap is all you need. I would trundle along to that guy that sells the Wash an forget products and ask what they have as a good alkaline cleaner that would get the oxide layer off with a pressure washer, ready for paint. That is basically what most commercial Paint companies do now. They only sand flaking paint,

I hope you are right wheels. I just don't want to wash, rub and paint and watch it last a few years and have more layers to scrape off.. As scottiE said.

Looks in great shape. If the rest is the same as your pic that is. Wash and paint. Remember, it ain't a Boat. ;-)

I have trouble with that. It takes me a long time to do stuff around the house because of that!

yep she said when are going to stop playing in the boat and do the garden.All taken care of thanks to weed killer :razz:

yep she said when are going to stop playing in the boat and do the garden.All taken care of thanks to weed killer :razz:

Ye, I have a lovely lot of stones growing in the flower garden around the House. Found these awesome plants at a place called "everything Plastic" and the Garden looks great.....from a short distance. My wife has stopped me short wanting to spray the Lawn and paint it green. :roll:  So she is now the one that mows it.

The only problem one I have left are the Hedges. 6ft Tall and darn near as thick. Have to be cut twice a year. I haven't found a spray that will kill them and not kill the Vineyard around us. I can paint the Hedges green but can't afford to go painting an entire Vineyard and I am sure someone would notice anyway, once the grapes didn't appear ;-)