Prop Shaft Antifoul?

I want to prevent marine growth and barnacles on the prop shaft.

I need to be able to apply a product between tides. This is because we have Copper Coat on the hull and have no need to haul out, ever.

We have a spare prop, so can swap props on a tide and do the proper full on Prop Speed application a at home in the shed.

What is the best / most effective Antifoul product that can be applied to a stainless prop shaft (1 & 1/4 inch) between tides?

Last time we just slapped some International Trilux on it, but that was more of an after thought, as we had an old tin of Trilux handy. We didn't do any prep other than give the shaft a good wipe.

Prop speed and similar products are out, because of the careful prep needed and the drying times.

I don't think prepping with a PA 10 primer would work, because the drying time is too long, and exhascibated with having to get touch dry to then apply a second coat of an Antifoul.

I've been looking at Pettit Prop Coat Barnicle Barrier.

https://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/product_pds/Prop-Coat-Barnacle-Barrier.pdf

Even though it's called 'Barnicle Barrier' the spec sheet makes no reference to its ability to control growth and barnacles. Is it just to protect from corrosion?

It can be applied straight to stainless steel, but then it states between 16 hrs and two days before submersion, depending on temperature.

Is the drying time really that critical? Or is it just to achieve claimed product performances? If I applied a product and warmed it a bit post application, let's say with a hair dryer, could I get reasonable performance and product life from an application between tides.

By reasonable life span, I'd be happy with one year without growth between cleans and re-application. I.e actually works for 6 months or a year.

Any better ideas?

What is the drying time of the Propspeed type coatings? I know they use a fairly volatile solvent and they are a reaction cure coating, so you might get away with using it. You would only need to run some sandpaper around the shaft to remove old antifoul, get a clean shaft and a bit of a Key for the coat to grip to. In fact I think the applicator applied mine not long before a tide once.
When it comes to paints, they need to have the Solvent evaporated from them so they can cure. Emmersion stops the Solvent evaporating and thus the Paint does not cure, will likely not hold properly on a fast turning shaft and whats more, you have Solvent, which is a Toxin, washing into the marine environment.

Fish, I've used "CRC Soft Seal" for this type of thing before

Cheap and easy to apply, just clean it off and spray three or more coats over a couple of hours while your waiting for the tide.

Had it last a year or more on the shaft but only about 6 months on the blades as they have much more water over them.

Anyone else used it ?

Those two products, CRC soft seal and the Max Wax look very interesting. They appear to be basically similar products.

I see the Max Wax has a 4 to 12 hr dry time, while I've found two technical data sheets for the CRC soft seal. One says touch dry in 1 hr, the other says touch dry in 12 hrs, both for the same product code 3013.

Going off topic a bit,  I see the Max Wax can withstand temperatures of 200 deg C. Would this be suitable for spraying on hard to reach parts of the engine and gearbox to control corrosion on that?

I do like the idea of these 'cheap and easy to apply' solutions. We have used prop speed before on the shaft. it sort of almost worked but didn't queit work, and is a bit fiddle, not to mention Prop Speed isn't cheap. I find the simple solutions are the most effective. If I can give the shaft a clean and spray annually when we dry out to do the annodes, that would be an ideal solution.

The owner managed to get some from the distributor in Whangarei in the end. I don't have all the details but he did say the courier cost $12 at it's "a hazardous good".

He initially emailed a contact he googled for Max Wax, but it turned out to be the international distributor and not the local one.

If you want the contact details let me know and I'll get them off the owner.

As a note, we put the Max Wax on the shaft, and the owner has been running around spraying either corrosion X or Max Wax on just about anything he can find on board now.... 

Now days I would probably just have Prop speed applied, in  those days clean up the shaft and prop using  battery drill and bronze wire brush and apply the primer straight away. It was so good that after six months once you cleaned the fouling off you could touch up any anti fouling that had come off.