more newby livaboards

Dorina was built in 1927 and had significant work done in 1990.

The interior and the wiring is fine but already they have plans for developing the "outdoor living area" at the rear.

Neither of them have any seafaring experience and laugh at the question.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11700120

hope this ends better than it did for the young waiheke couple

Waiheke couple left in tears after gale sinks new home

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/82376436/waiheke-couple-left-in-tears-after-gale-sinks-new-home

at least it will be in a marina and not on a mooring

but they still have to get it down from whangarei

I really hope it is poor reporting and not what the Couple actually expect out of this. But a Boat is never going to be a foot on the Auckland property ladder.

I think what they are quite legitimately saying is that it will cost them half as much to live aboard as renting  and therefore are able to save more to get a foot on the ladder

the idea seems to be it's cheaper than renting 

so they can save the difference 

hence get a bigger deposit together faster

but maintaining an old wooden boat is likely to be more expensive and diificult than they think

and if they slip on that

they'll start losing their initial investment in buying the boat  

Looking at the cost of berth rentals at Hobsonville and the $5k "investment" in the boat, & ignoring the costs of trucking it down to Auckland, if it holds together for 4 months they should start seeing a profit.

Looking at the cost of berth rentals at Hobsonville and the $5k "investment" in the boat, & ignoring the costs of trucking it down to Auckland, if it holds together for 4 months they should start seeing a profit.

I would have liked to see the paper do a little bit more work on this story:

- cost of berth purchase (must own it to live aboard)

- OPEX at Hobsonville is probably the most expensive in the country

- additional "fee" for living aboard is $10 pp/day (not 100% on that but recently increased)

- electricity on meter

Not sure if it would be cheaper than renting, certainly not if sharing a larger flat.

I have no issue with Live aboards if they want to Boat as well. But it is becoming more and more common that many look for cheap "rent" and never go out anywhere. I know BP says so what, but the problem is that this is going to make Marina's more and more tight for Space and result in prices hiking up. For instance, it used to be cheap at Westpark. Nelson Marina is another. You now have to pay a one off Pre charge based on the percentage of the length of Boat. It is about $5K for mine. Now the Marina is full of Live aboards and they are talking of dramatically hiking rental as well.
So in the end, this idea of cheap living is going to make it expensive and difficult to find a berth for a genuine Boaty.

Is there a requirement that boats are maintained in a condition such that they could leave under thier own power (or similar)? If so, presumably these non-boaty livaboards will just have to become boaties, whether they like it or not!

Shouldn't be able to take up a berth squatting in a rotting hulk that'll never operate as a boat again.

Most places require boats to be maintained in a 'seaworthy' condition. All marina's require some form of third party insurance also, and you can bet yourself a good bottle of rum most insurance policies have a clause around proper maintenance, seaworthiness or the like.

About the only mooring places that don't have minimum requirements now are swing moorings, which may be why so many dodgy old sh*t boxes break free and go bouncing off everyone else every time it blows more than 20 knots.