Curran Street Wreck

Firstly re trademe negative comments comment. Take a read of the negatives. None of them are of any "bad dealing" concerns.

Strange it went on trademe so quick?? :roll: Actually it has been in trademe for sale for a wee while now. All that has happened if the Sale page has been changed to this latest situation. What if the guy has a health problem and can not sort the boat himself.

Insurance......it is highly unlikely it is insured. That is the only negative issue with Ferro. But repair of this boat if easy and cheap. Someone willing to do a bit of work will have a great boat out of this.

Can someone tell me where this is sitting exactly?

Righty, the story behind this. It is owned by a young guy. It has been for sale for 3yrs now. Started off at $60K and slowly has been reduced in asking price. Eventually it was left semi abandoned on a swing mooring. The Mooring line broke and the owner has simply abandoned it. Or at least he thinks he has. I expect the Harbor master may have other thoughts to that. So I see this as something up for Salvage. All that is needed if for a simple patch of Epoxy or even car bog just to refloat it. Get it to the Hard stand and a simple repair and back in the water and someone has a cheap Boat.
The longer it is left, the more damage water is going to do, especially to the engine.

might be a problem to remove even after repairs,she went ashore on a 3.2m tide and tides are up to 3.2m till 6th september then drop and do not rise till 17th september,so guessing arc or harbour master wont let her stay that long. Strange though if he want 60k originally why would you not insure it?? 

You can't insure Ferro. That's why they are cheap. Silly, but that's the way it is. All the Insurance companies are underwritten by just a couple of underwriters and they stipulate that they will not cover FC. There used to be a couple of small private insurance companies, (we were with Clipper Club, but they got bought out) but they have been bought out by the Big boys.
It's a world wide problem. I wish someone would take on FC. They would make a killing.

I can understand the insurers not wanting to insure all FC's as some are so poorly constructed. That being said, most of those are now homes to aquatic life only. 

A well made FC yacht is probably less likely to sink than an equally well made glass, steel or alloy yacht. Alloy in particular can peel back if you brush a sharp rock - I have seen this and they are not very buoyant with a 15cm wide strip torn 1 meter long in the hull. FC would most likely just bounce off that kind of damage.

FC's are not lightweight racers and were often backyard builds, and for those reasons a lot of people look down on them. But professionally made ones, fitted out to a good standard ( no particle board!!! ) can make very nice vessels.

I suspect that this one is poked though. Water damaged interior, submerged engine...... 

• Upvote 1

I have seen some boats built of other materials that are far worse than any FC I have so far seen. I think an Insurance company could easily write a clause in regard to the Hull, that waivers bad build perhaps. Although just as TT has said, those old builds were backyarders back in the 70's and they boats do not exist from back then. The bad ones that is. The ones that do exist are pretty obvious that they were built well.
Thing is, there is no cheaper thing to repair. There is no cheaper material to maintain. It is strong and reliable and doesn't burn. In fact in a fire in a Marina, it is less dangerous that Steel, because the Material acts as an insulator to heat. So apart from the Cabin on fire, the rest of the heat is contained.
Statistically, FC's that are insured, have the least No. of claims of all. However, I don't know how those statistics are made up. For instance, is that because so few are insured.
The single biggest issue to resale is insurance. A buyer wants to put it in the Marina and cannot if it is not insured and thus the sale falls through.
If there is more info from the insurance side of the story, I would love to hear. IT, if you are reading this, is it possible to ask someone from Baileys to comment perhaps?? I know they don't insure FC. But from their point of view, why exactly? Is it due to underwriters, or do they have some other issue?

We have had our boat for some 15yrs now and have never made one single claim.

You may notes to heart wheels, but he idea the adobe warehouses not correct. I have a friend who brought one from up north, knowing nothing about boats, didnt get a survey against all our advice because he read on the Internet that surveyors don't know what they are talking about re FC,, and didn't inspect it himself either, not knowing what to look for and having read a post like your son the Internet, thinking the bad ones were gone and they are cheap to fix. A couple of friends (commercial skipper and marine engineer) helped him bring it down the coast. They hit some moderate rough weather, and had numerous failures of engine, electrics and rig due to poor amateur build and fit out. A couple of weeks after it arrived, it came out of the water. Water blasting made several holes into the hull, including one about 12" long and 5" wide into the hollow and open to the hull keel. The owner found someone who knew FC to help him fix it, they started to chip back to find good steel but could not, it was all rusty and the hole was getting bigger . They twisted the new steel around the old as the could not weld to it, bogged it and put it back in the water. Every time it came out it was bleeding rust from many places. Inside and outside the hull. Never found good steel on repair. My friends were lucky to make it down the coast without major incident. After a few years, the owner had learnt enough I think it started to scare him so he sold it. Yeah the repairs he did didn't cost much, but were they reall repairs? Or just delaying the outcome...

On another note, I know the owners of a nice FC boat in the marina here, I'll ask them who they are unsured with as the marina must require it.

Well he was an idiot then wasn't he. :roll:
Even looking at it himself would have been better than nothing. Because to have a waterblaster go through the Hull, the Hull must have had some serious telltale signs that would have been obvious. VERY obvious.
Even if there was no steel inside the plaster at all, there would be no way of breaking through good plaster with a waterblaster.
Then to not repair it properly and then on sell it ?? I hope he fully disclosed what was done. Otherwise that is pretty dishonest IMO. Trading on a potentially dangerous boat to someone. I am surprised why someone would buy then buy it as well. Unless they wanted hardfill.
So I stand by my original comment and what I have always said. These old badly made Hulls are either so obviously bad, or they are gone completely now. Another thing I have always said, and this applies to any DIY built from any material, if the fit out is cheap and bad, chances are the Hull was built cheaply and bad. I have seen a 45ft Steel Hull welded by a guy that could not weld. He had holes in the weld you could see through. So he used Polyester Car filler to fair all the welds and seal them.

The boat was not insured.

He reckons she would have fetched around $60,000 - but that sum has now plummeted to less than a tenth of that.

"The wreck itself is worth a lot more than that - and even holes can be patched up cheaply enough. But the hassle is the lifting, the refloating, and inside damage."

While bad luck was definitely at play in his moorings breaking, Thomas said, the incident could be an opportunity for mooring regulations to be revisited.

"I'd hate this to happen to other boaties - moorings break rarely, but for clear reasons."

seems to be blaming his mooring contractor for failed specification and/or inadequate inspection and wants both increased

1472668795156.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83775760/auckland-mans-future-uncertain-after-yacht-his-home-of-15-years-runs-aground