Curran Street Wreck

There was a yacht in shoal bay hanging by the buoy rope,Knew who the owner was and rang him and he said what should i do? suggested to run a line from bollard down to ring back to bollard and make several loops until you get a mooring hook,next hard easterly and yep she broke the buoy rope and under the bridge.

I sold a wrecked trailer sailer to a guy with a farm in the Taranaki back blocks, He wanted to put it on top of one of his hills which had fossiled shells on it, just

because he could. Another one I sold the trailer,rig etc and the hull went to the tip.

In New Plymouth a 103 ft f/g superyacht hull was broken up with a digger and dumped, that would have been expensive. Not sure if they considered selling it as a building but it would have been too expensive to transport.  I thought they should have sunk it as a dive site// crayfish home, but it had 40 tonne of lead in it that they naturally wanted to recover.

For a ferro boat maybe the concrete recyclers would be an option, as the dump charges per ton would make it pretty expensive for a big boat.

I've often wondered at what price point it becomes more economic to scrap a boat rather than resell it as the pieces might be worth more than the whole, especially the way prices are going. Soooo, heres a ballpark estimate on my tub.

At the bare minimum its

- eight decent sized Lewmar winched $4k

- a volvo engine and saildrive $5k

- full suite of Raymarine instruments and autopilot $2k

- 2 tons of marine grade alloy. $2k

- 3.5 tones of lead $5

- Anchor winch and tackle $1k

- Miscellaneous other stuff eg Epirb, radios, sails, oven etc $5k

So there you have it, $24k for an 42fter as parts and scrap.

I know they are starting to recycle carbon boats these days too. They put them through a mincer and then burn the resin off them. The resulting product is used for making moulds for the carbon boats.

Over here on the West Island we dispose of things in a variety of ways

Years ago I was working for a shoe wholesaler, part of the warehouse was a certified bond store. Being an old building tree were some leaks in the roof which caused water damage to about 2000 pairs of canvas slippers. Total loss but to avoid paying the import duty, Customs had to be involved in the disposal. Loaded up the truck and headed to the land fill, along with the Customs man in his car. Unloaded and had barely moved the truck when the front end loader picked up the pile of shoes and proceeded to bury them under a pile of rubbish. It seems Customs does not like scavengers finding product so when they appear at the tip, the big machinery gets called into action.

There is a story that my father in law tells. He lives in a small town that was surrounded by saw mills. One of the saw mills used an old tank as its power source. When the engine finally gave up the ghost, the owner dug a trench, dragged the tank into it and covered it with soil.

They put them through a mincer and then burn the resin off them.

gaaarrrrrrhhhhh!! please please no one ever burn Epoxy Resin. Polyester is hazardous, but no where near as toxic as Epoxy Resins are. Apart from the thick noxious smoke from it, the biggest danger is that the Amine's that caused the crosslinking reaction making the stuff hard, are released into the air.

Another is Polyurathane Foams. That releases Isocyanates into the air.

And he appears to be yet another person who expects others to contribute to his problem. Givealittle is abused horribly. It should be for those who really need assistance. A terminally ill kid who should get to have a once in a life time experience or similar. That was its original intention. Not to help someone who put himself at risk ( owning uninsured yacht ).

People need to take responsibility for their actions. If you can't afford to deal with the consequences of an uninsured yacht going AWOL, then don't buy it in the first place. He is lucky it didn't damage a few other yachts along its way to the shoreline. Then what would he be doing?

But you need to look at this in reverse order TT. Guy owns boat. Circumstances change and guy tries to sell boat. Boat does not sell. Can't afford insurance anymore. Boat still won't sell. Can't keep in Marina because not insured, so now on a swing mooring. Price at give away and still can't sell. What do you do?

But you need to look at this in reverse or TT. Guy owns boat. Circumstances change and guy tries to sell boat. Boat does not sell. Can't afford insurance anymore. Boat still won't sell. Can't keep in Marina because not insured, so now on a swing mooring. Price at give away and still can't sell. What do you do?

stick it on for $1 t/m deal,buyers would of decided whats it worth.even if he only $20k better than what hes got now.

Even David Bain has a givealittle page $11k and has not been found not guilty

But you need to look at this in reverse or TT. Guy owns boat. Circumstances change and guy tries to sell boat. Boat does not sell. Can't afford insurance anymore. Boat still won't sell. Can't keep in Marina because not insured, so now on a swing mooring. Price at give away and still can't sell. What do you do?

The market sets the price, always. Someone would have taken it for what the market deems its value to be - thats how the market works.

He is now in financial strife worse than before because he would not accept that he owned a yacht which had depreciated significantly.

You know I have nothing against FC builds, however, they must come at a significantly discounted price due to the insurance issues amongst a couple of other issues such as weight. 

This guy bought the cheap boat in the first place, he needed to accept that if the market declined, as it has done, significantly, that the cheap boats are the hardest to sell. Its no different in any situation where people choose lower priced, less desirable purchases, be it a boat, house, car, farm. If its marginal, it will be the hardest to sell come a market shift south.

I have no sympathy for someone who feels that due to their poor decision making that other people should donate to their cause. I have every bit of empathy and sympathy for those who have a tragic event that is in no way any fault of their own.

The market sets the price, always. Someone would have taken it for what the market deems its value to be - thats how the market works.

He is now in financial strife worse than before because he would not accept that he owned a yacht which had depreciated significantly.

OK TT and HarryTom. So just how much do you think this Boat was worth when it was floating and in good condition?? If you owned it, what would you accept for it?

Then I'll tell you what he came down to. Lets see how far apart you guys are from his offers.

Hard to tell from current photos but at a guess and whats sitting on tm right now between $15k and $22k

The market for boats is regarded as a luxury item for many now days with the house prices,I know I want to sell my boat and i know what I think its worth to me $15k but current market I would say $8k so its not listed but I do not need to sell. 

obviously a very heavy boat

with a lot of windage

in an exposed spot

and an owner who had sort of fallen out of love with it and wandered off down country

i'd love to know 

which bit let go

The owner had been living on it till recently. He came down to $25K, then he offered 3/4 share, 1/2 share and finally 1/4 share. He probably would have dropped the price again when the trademe offer expired, but this happened. So Honestly, I think you guys are jumping the Gun. I think he was offering at a very good price for what the Boat was. He was coming down in asking price, so he was also being realistic.
It does not matter what Material a Boat is made from, there are many many Boats not selling.
Oh and the boat had third party Insurance. But guess what. The insurance company won't pay out the amount of money it was going to take to Salvage the Boat. I didn't know they could do that, but nothing surprises me with Insurance companies these days.

Oh and the boat had third party Insurance. But guess what. The insurance company won't pay out the amount of money it was going to take to Salvage the Boat. I didn't know they could do that, but nothing surprises me with Insurance companies these days.

And who is/was the insurer?

My insurance is up for renewal: I might want to change..

I wouldn,t expect third party insurance to pay anything that directly relates to the boat but to pay for any damage that it caused to other property, which may cover environmental damage?

same as 3rd party car insurance,pays for damage to other vehicle/property only or fire and theft